VATICAN - ITALY - Pope: Christian unity "is a journey of communion" and "does not mean uniformity" [AN]

Francis visits the Waldensian Temple in Turin, the first pope in history to enter one. He speaks of “the deep bond that already unites us, despite our differences”, the common commitment to evangelization and care of those in need. “On behalf of the Catholic Church I ask forgiveness. I ask forgiveness our non-Christian attitudes and behavior against you in the past”.

More…

:confused::confused::confused:

"The unity which is the fruit of the Holy Spirit - he continued - does not mean uniformity. Our brothers are united by a common origin, but are not identical to each other. This is clear in the New Testament, where, despite being called brothers all those who shared the same faith in Jesus Christ, realized that not all Christian communities, of which they were part, had the same style, or an identical internal organization. Even within the same small community different charisms could be seen (cf. 1 Cor 12-14), and even in announcing the Gospel there were diversity and sometimes contrasts (cf. Acts 15.36 to 40). Unfortunately, it has happened and continues to happen that some could not accept these differences and in the end to make war against each other. Reflecting on the history of our relations, we can only grieve in the face of the conflicts and violence committed in the name of the faith, and ask the Lord to give us the grace to recognize we are all sinners and know how to forgive one another. This is an initiative of God, who never resigns Himself in front of man’s sin, Who opens new ways to live our fraternity, and this we cannot escape. On behalf of the Catholic Church I ask forgiveness. I ask forgiveness our non-Christian attitudes and behavior against you in the past. In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, forgive us! "

-Pope Francis

My bolding.

What is going on?

*And there arose a great storm of wind, and the waves beat into the ship, so that the ship was filled. And he was in the hinder part of the ship, sleeping upon a pillow; and they awake him, and say to him: Master, doth it not concern thee that we perish? *

Christians can work together in common enterprises despite their differences.

:thumbsup:
If most people and religions embraced this we would have a lot less wars.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.