Vatican Mass Times: Help!

Hey, gang.

I will be going to Italy soon, and would like to hear Sunday High Mass in the Vatican.

Where can I find precise Mass times at Saint Peter’s. Here’s what I found at the website for the Church of Santa Susanna:

9 AM: Mass for Parish of St. Peters
10:30 AM: Mass at Altar of the Chair (in Latin)
11:30 AM: Mass in Chapel of Blessed Sacrament
12:15 PM: Mass at Altar of the Chair
4 PM: Mass at Altar of the Chair
5 PM: Vespers at the Altar of the Chair followed by Mass at 5:45 PM

What I want to know is which of these liturgies is the most “Solemn High”. Are any of them sung, and feature a choir?

Anyone who can help me on this, or direct me to who can, would have my upmost gratitude. The rector of the Church of Santa Susanna could off me no assistance whatsoever.

Thanks!

Mass times are subject to change…

You should also investigate Mass tickets. You need a ticket for some (many? all?) Masses at St. Peter’s Basilica.

The tickets are free and handed out the day of the Mass to anyone who shows up. But without a ticket, you may be denied entry. This is for crowd control and a courtesy to Pilgrims seeking Mass (bummer if a Pilgrim shows up for Mass only to be turned away because the Church is full - better the Pilgrim know in advance so s/he can make other Mass plans).

There is also a dress code - you WILL be turned away if you show up in inappropriate attire.

These things change all the time. The concerige at your hotel should be able to tell you what the current situation is.

Bump!

We went to Italy and stayed near the Vatican while we were there. Of course we weren’t in town to go the Mass there on Sunday, but during the week you could walk in at any time. It seemed to us that Mass was performed every 90 minutes, there was a beautiful choir to boot. It was one of the coolest experiences while we were there. We wound up going to Mass twice there because it was so neat. One of the things that was distracting were the people that would come and go during the service which seemed to us the height of rudeness, but it was great nonetheless. :slight_smile:

Wow, someday I would like to go to Europe. I hope you enjoy yourself, take a lot of pictures and share some of your travels with us.

God Bless
Scylla

[quote=DavidFilmer]Mass times are subject to change…

You should also investigate Mass tickets. You need a ticket for some (many? all?) Masses at St. Peter’s Basilica.

The tickets are free and handed out the day of the Mass to anyone who shows up. But without a ticket, you may be denied entry. This is for crowd control and a courtesy to Pilgrims seeking Mass (bummer if a Pilgrim shows up for Mass only to be turned away because the Church is full - better the Pilgrim know in advance so s/he can make other Mass plans).
[/quote]

My wife and I were married in St. Peter’s Basilica in 1998. During our two weeks in the Eternal City, we heard Mass several times in St. Peter’s. We never had to purchase tickets. Most of the Masses were in the Blessed Sacrament Chapel, but one was at the Chair.

The current pastor of St. Susanna’s, Fr. Greg Apparcel, was the priest who married us. The wedding took place in the Choir Chapel (which is basically across the nave from the Blessed Sacrament Chapel).

The only even that required tickets was the weekly Wednesday Papal Audience, which can be gotten at numerous places (St. Susanna’s, USO, NAC).

I hope you enjoy your trip to Rome. I’m sure it will be a blessing!

[quote=muledog]My wife and I were married in St. Peter’s Basilica in 1998. During our two weeks in the Eternal City, we heard Mass several times in St. Peter’s. We never had to purchase tickets. Most of the Masses were in the Blessed Sacrament Chapel, but one was at the Chair.

The current pastor of St. Susanna’s, Fr. Greg Apparcel, was the priest who married us. The wedding took place in the Choir Chapel (which is basically across the nave from the Blessed Sacrament Chapel).

The only even that required tickets was the weekly Wednesday Papal Audience, which can be gotten at numerous places (St. Susanna’s, USO, NAC).

I hope you enjoy your trip to Rome. I’m sure it will be a blessing!
[/quote]

Cool!

Would you be able to answer my questions in the original post?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.