Vatican may pay damages to victims of defrocked papal nuncio's abuse [CC]

The Vatican may offer compensation to the boys who were molested by a former papal nuncio in the Dominican Republic. When questioned by a reporter from the Dominican Republic, Father …

More…

Good.

We also need to get on with the trial.

Viva la Republica Dominicana!

eternal repose grant him oh Lord, and let eternal light shine on him… may he rest in peace.

Oh, I did not read the last line:

“He was awaiting a criminal trial before a Vatican tribunal when he died of a heart attack on August 28.”

R.I.P.

I pray Our Lord helps those children and their families, friends, neighbors, communities and the whole country of the Dominican Republic to heal. I hope not many souls will stay/ turn away from the Church on account of the horrible crimes committed by a Papal Nuncio against innocent children. I am sure Pope Francis has considered how to help the country to heal.

He is facing a more perfect justice, yes indeed we hope that he repented of the damage he inflicted not only on the boys he preyed on but on the Church as a whole.
May GOD have mercy of his soul.

I was wondering why you hadn’t posted after his death was announced. You had been on top of the story pretty faithfully.

I guess it would be generous to offer to pay damages to those victims, but it would also be admitting to the nuncio’s guilt. I am sure they have investigated all the victims’ stories by now.

I pray for the repose of his soul, but I am sure the victims would have preferred he get a jury trial. It is a shame he died before that could happen.

the devil knows he would win more souls if he can manage to defeat any priest… his latest effective weapon is the sexual appetite and the scandal it goes with.
no one is perfect, but the damage these scandals have done and are still doing to the church is nauseating.
recently a group of ‘delinquents’ wrote on our parish fence with a black spray, something which in english means “priests do not work, yet they ride the best cars, eat the best food, and STILL COME TO SNATCH OUR GIRLFRIENDS”.
According to st John Bosco the youths do not need good homilies as much as good examples. the devil seems to be doing a very good job at exposing the bad examples of priests and religious who slept off during their night watch.

I just learned he passed away. Was there a thread on CAF, I can’t find one. Yeah, if it wasn’t on CAF then I wouldn’t have known. :stuck_out_tongue: I have been spending a lot of my free time here lately.

Part of his sickness was to film his sickness. There are tens of thousands of photographs and videos. I don’t think these are solely of the crimes he and his accomplices committed in the Dominican Republic. I think they may cover other parts of his life and in other places.

‘Generous’ is definitely not the word. Those children’s life have been severely damaged.

I think a trial and a just judgement would have helped in the healing of a nation and her children and really all Catholics around the world. However, he is now in God’s hands and Our Lord Jesus is the Just Judge. People need to go on and understand that Satan is having a ball with our priests and Pope Leo XIII and the Virgin Mary in Fatima warned us about all this - so here it is. Oh, yes, people are responsible for their actions and that judgement is now in God’s hands but, let’s not let Satan walk away from all this scott free. He cannot hide and play pretend I had nothing to do with this. His prints are all over.

:highprayer:
Sancte Michael Archangele,
defende nos in proelio;
contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Imperet illi Deus, supplices deprecamur:
tuque, Princeps militiae Caelestis,
satanam aliosque spiritus malignos,
qui ad perditionem animarum pervagantur in mundo,
divina virtute in infernum detrude.
Amen

I just wonder how he was able to get away with it and for how long?
I didn’t know he had an extensive collection of videos and photos. Do they know how many victims they are? Were they all from the Dominican Republic?

I think there was a thread on his passing. It might have been in Catholic news.

I was expecting you to ask this question, so as I was preparing dinner I was thinking of the answer. Well, it is only logical to ask.

Well, he was intelligent and according to what I read of what happened in Puerto Rico he was shrewd and used the power of his office to cover things up and intimidate people.

One thing that just catches my attention is that I saw some videos of him walking in a certain area looking for boys. He had a routine in the capital and in between his searches he stopped at the same place for a beer. But, as I watched those videos I could not help but to wonder if he wanted to get caught and do damage and leave with a bang.

He was obviously a very intelligent man and was able to control people. So, to watch that video - well - there is a clash. An intelligent man who is savvy of human nature and relations would know better than to behave as a regular john doe when he knows he would be on national television regarding some church activities and would be easily identified and even bribed. When I watched the video of him walking around the city, it just left me wondering if he wanted to get caught. If so, that’s a lot of anger.

As for, his known accomplice, Wojciech Gil, I saw a video of an interview of the priest who is in charge of the seminary where Wojciech Gil was educated and prepared for ordination. The priest head of the seminary said to the reporter that if only a small percentage of what the Dominicans accused him of is true he would be shocked and Wojciech Gil would be a totally different person than who he thought he was. To say, the priest of the seminary did not detect anything.

I do wonder how two seriously disturbed people from the same country ended up up together to commit horrible crimes. I just wonder if the younger priest knew the papal nuncio (which we would not have been in the position at the time) and then decided to become a priest to have the opportunity and access to the children and commit crimes the nuncio. Wojciech Gil provided the papal nuncio with the children of his parish mostly the altar boys. He pretended that they were going on a trip and it was a treat to go to the fancy house of the papal nuncio. Once there, certain children had to sleep in the same bed with the nuncio as there were limited beds and it was an honor - then he did his thing. He preferred the white children and so those ended up in his bed.

The people of Poland have been hurt by this and seriously disappointed. They felt so good with the work of Saint Pope John Paul II the Great and then to be followed by such a disaster by two church country men. I read some of the guidance they were being given by the priest in Poland and it basically went that those were to persons who do not represent the Church nor Poland.

We need to pray for our priests and for the priesthood. We need to pray that sick people do not enter the seminaries whether intentionally or not to harm people and the Church and the priesthood. And pray, for our priests that Satan does not deceive them and bother them.

:highprayer:

Blessed Michael, Archangel,
defend us in the hour of hellish battle;
be our sethguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God restrain him, we humbly pray;
and do thou, O Prince of the heavenly host,
by the power of God, thrust, down to hell, Satan,
and with him the other wicked spirits
who wander through the world for the ruin of souls.
Amen.

Actually, I think the photos and videos go to over 200,000 and the 40,000 number may have to do with evidence the younger defrocked priest was trying to get rid off but was unsuccessful.

The Vatican has not released the information on exactly how many children were molested by the two defrocked priests nor have they released information of the countries that may or may not have been involved nor the time span.

Poland Jails Priest for Molesting Boys in Dominican Republic
wsj.com/articles/poland-jails-priest-for-molesting-boys-1427295631

A Dominican female reporter hung around his house in Poland and video taped his sister and mother. It’s sad. Gil was to play innocent but the proofs are undeniable. I think he only got seven years.

He was tried by the Church. I believe it was by the CDF (which was given competence over clergy abuse of minors cases by Pope Benedict). He was found guilty and stripped of his clerical status. He was canonically a layman when he died. He was awaiting the criminal trial which would have imposed prison time etc…

They were both from Poland? I can’t believe Gil only got 7 years!
Such evil. The priests definitely need to be prayed for daily.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.