Vatican 'must immediately remove' child abusers - UN

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26044852

What is the true meaning of hypocricy?

washingtonpost.com/national/religion/un-denounces-vatican-on-sex-abuse-abortion/2014/02/05/ed59f496-8e50-11e3-878e-d76656564a01_story.html

I think we have a winner…

wnd.com/2014/01/pot-kettle-black-u-n-grills-vatican-over-sex/

More proof of hypocrisy…

*The committee, for example, urged the Vatican to amend its canon law to identify circumstances where access to abortion can be permitted for children, such as to save the life of a young mother. *

We should amend Canon Law for the sake of children’s rights to allow children to be killed. That is deep…I’m going to have to think about this for a while…:cool::shrug:

So abusing some children is bad, but abusing others is mandatory? We live in a very confused world. Do they even address the problem that the vast majority of sexual abuse by clergy was homosexual? Sin really does make us stupid.

being discussed in Catholic News

While demanding this in the name of children’s protection they also denounced the Vatican’s stance on abortion. Also denounced Vatican on its stance on homosexuality. Surprise surprise surprise.

Vatican ‘regrets’ damning UN report on abuse

VATICAN CITY (AP) — The Vatican says it regrets what it calls the attempt by a U.N. committee to interfere with its teaching on abortion and contraception in a damning report on the priestly sex abuse scandal.

The U.N. report on Wednesday said the Vatican should change its rules on abortion and teach sexual education in Catholic schools to ensure children’s rights and their access to health care are guaranteed.

The Vatican said in a statement that it remains committed to defending and protecting the rights of children but that it regrets that the committee had attempted “to interfere with Catholic Church teaching on the dignity of human person and in the exercise of religious freedom.”

While the Church should indeed root out all those within it who abuse children (“better that a millstone be tied around their necks and that they should be cast into the sea”), the fact that the committee saw fit to conflate this issue with abortion and insists that a religion change its beliefs absolutely infuriates me. They have absolutely no right to do so and deserve to be condemned outright for trying.

For crying out loud, they’re supposed to be the committee for the rights of the child yet they would insist that it’s ok to kill the child that is yet to be born - talk about denying rights! That goes to the ultimate hypocrisy.

I suppose that’s one way of stopping child abuse, by the UN - kill the unborn child in the womb and/ or use contraception to ensure children are not created in the first place. :rolleyes:

At least their agenda is now been laid out on the table. The sex abuse scandal of the Church was tragic, however the church has already laid out rules to ensure it does not occur in the future. Would there be any abusers still left in the church, that it would be aware of?

Silly report.

I am a little surprised the report didn’t condemn Israel. isn’t that required for any UN report.?

The UN holds no moral authority to demand action from others on cleaning up sex abuse violations. The UN is rife with sex abuse.

Actually the UN has no moral authority to make demands on anybody. The UN and has two major purposes:

1. Suck as much money as possible out of the United States
  2. Condemn Israel at every opportunity

:thumbsup:

Another:thumbsup:

I’ve defended the UN to certain extents as a forum for international diplomacy.

However, in light of this news, I will be contacting my representatives requesting them to reconsider funding for this organization and to consider freezing any pending transactions.

The UN has lost its way big time and has become a joke outside of the uber-elite of the First World.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=842325&highlight=UN+Vatican

Topic was already pretty thoroughly covered in December.

Church needs to turn table on the UN and address its own abuse to the sanctity of human life and partisan politics.

‘Tomorrow’, the UN will be gone but the universal Church of Christ will remain for as long as Christ wills it.

I just found this:

www.womenofgrace.com/blog/?p=2476

This link is the answer to the UN in my mind.

Who’s at fault here, the Vatican or the UN or both?

Let’s hear your opinion.

theglobeandmail.com/news/world/un-accuses-vatican-of-adopting-policies-that-allowed-priests-to-rape-children/article16704743/

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t this committee chaired by some of the worst human rights violators in existence?
Don’t they routinely give a clean pass to barbaric regimes like Burma, Zimbabwe, Sudan and Syria (who ironically, always make an effort to get on the committee for this very reason), and the only condemnation they ever issue is against Israel?

If so, I would think their credibility is less than zero.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.