Vatican newspaper gives thumbs up to new Potter film [CNAU]

Jul 14, ‘09 5:00 pm
The Vatican newspaper L’Osservatore Romano gave the new Harry Potter movie four stars for promoting “friendship, altruism, loyalty and self-giving”, a break from the Holy See officials’ previous reservation that the books promote witchcraft.

The newspaper downplayed concerns that the film and book series by J.K. Rowling promote magic and witchcraft, Catholic News Service reported.

“Certainly, Rowling’s vision lacks a reference to transcendence, to a providential design in which people live their personal histories and history itself takes shape,” the paper said in its July 14 edition.

More…

I saw this!!! I LOVED it!!! HArry Potter all the way!!

And as someone who was actually involved with witchcraft at a younger age before I became christian, let alone catholic, I have to laugh everytime someone says Harry Potter promotes witchcraft. I know witchcraft, Harry Potter is as much witchcraft as Obama is catholic! (Just because he gave a commencement address at Catholic university, doesn’t mean he’s catholic! Just like because Harry Potter uses “witch” and “wizard” doesn’t make it anything CLOSE to witchcraft.)

Actually I wasn’t aware the Vatican had ever said that Harry Potter promoted ‘witchcraft’.

Sorry I was referring to something in the original post:

"The newspaper downplayed concerns that the film and book series by J.K. Rowling promote magic and witchcraft, Catholic News Service reported. "

It’s not the Vatican’s newspaper. It’s the semi-official newspaper of the Vatican. It’s primary role is to give out news regarding the Holy See and the Pope and to spread devotion to the Holy Father. The article on Harry Potter is not the view of the Vatican, especially not the Pope’s. Don’t buy into the media’s religious ignorance.

Oh, I didn’t mean that the Vatican was concerned or anything, I was just speaking in general. I know a few people who think HP promotes witchcraft, and it amuses me. I just love that a seemingly catholic media applauded Harry Potter. I love it :slight_smile:

One would do well to judge things for what they actually are and not to go by just a name or to go by only what other people say concerning them. Some things called Catholic are Catholic-in-name-only and not Catholic in substance. Be careful out there.

Harry Potter glorifies the evil of witchcraft and makes it appear harmless, even good. To show evil as good is evil. That’s one reason why the Pope is against Harry Potter.

And I say again that Harry Potter has as much in common with actual witchcraft, as Obama has in common with the Catholic Church. It’s WORLDS apart. It’s funny because the magic in LOTR (Lord of the Rings) is closer to actual witchcraft than Harry Potter.

Our beloved Cardinal Bernadin appreciated “The Lion King”. He said it was a parable about taking action to face the responsibilities in one’s life instead of being disconnected.

I like that :slight_smile:

SPOILER ALERT

And I like the messanic parable at the end of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. He gave his life willingly for all the people he knew, and they could not be touched. This is what was needed to turn the battle for victory.

I don’t agree. I’ve seen a few of the Harry Potter movies, I haven’t read the books so I admit to a disadvantage here, but what the movies show are a group of friends fighting wrong within their community and using their talents to help others out.

Just because there is magic involved doesn’t mean it’s witchcraft. You do realize that because the Catholic church has rituals, and the idea of turning bread and wine into body and blood reaks of witchcraft and sourcery to some people, right? And that “praying to saints” is kin to necromancy, according to others, right? But just because those people believe this it doesn’t mean that it’s true.

We’ll most likely have to agree to disagree on this. :slight_smile:

Despite the insistence of a few the Pope never said he was “against Harry Potter.” Nor has he now endorsed Harry Potter. Harry Potter is a reasonably entertaining series of books for children and youths, no more or less harmful than any other pop fiction. I doubt the Pope has given the books or the movies more than a moment’s thought.

If the Holy Father said tomorrow “Do not watch Harry Potter” I fear that the majority of so-called Catholics would do it anyway.

I agree with you. The newspaper is the paper of the Vatican, but that doesn’t mean the articles in it are official views.

hmmm… that might be going to far. While it is true that Cardinal Ratzinger sent two short letters to the author of an anti-Harry Potter book approving of what she wrote, this doesn’t necessarily reflect his position as Pope.

This is what he wrote back in 2003:

[quote=Cardinal Ratzinger]“It is good that you enlighten us on the Harry Potter matter, for these are subtle seductions that are barely noticeable, and precisely because of that have a deep effect and corrupt the Christian faith in souls even before it could properly grow.”
[/quote]

[quote=Times Online]In a second letter sent to Kuby on May 27, 2003, Cardinal Ratzinger “gladly” gave his permission for Frau Kuby to make public “my judgement about Harry Potter.”
[/quote]

business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/media/article543521.ece

But simply because a cardinal takes a certain position doesn’t mean he has taken the same position if he is later made the Holy Father. The responsibilities of the offices are different, as is the weight of what he says.

The point is, though, he didn’t. He hasn’t come close to it. There is no indication whatsoever that he doesn’t want catholics reading or watching harry potter, and statements like this that aren’t founded in ANY kind of reality tend to start flame wars…

Hmm, funny how you keep clinging on to these views when you’ve never even shown how magic in Harry Potter fits under what has been defined as real witchcraft.

Excellent point. :thumbsup:
Fiction has tons of unexplainable or science-defying phenomenon that have been slapped with the term magic. From what I’ve read from exorcist’s accounts, what they define as magic sounds nothing more than occult or New Age silliness such as seances and transcendental meditation. :rolleyes:

That kind of deviates from the flashy, eye-candy special effects and the elemental manipulating, exaggerated super attacks that gamers/readers/anime nuts such as myself call magic.

usccb.org/movies/h/harrypotterhalfbloodprince.shtml

The film contains moderate action violence, occasional peril, a couple of crass expressions and a few vaguely sexual references. The USCCB Office for Film & Broadcasting classification is A-II – adults and adolescents. The Motion Picture Association of America rating is PG – parental guidance suggested. Some material may not be suitable for children.

Moving past all the same old HP arguments. I saw the movie and was way more concerned with the odd relationship that the new teacher had with the students (especially males) and the idea Dumbledore sells Harry on is that he (Dumbledore) should die because Harry is younger and more valuable. I can’t remember the direct quote but it definatley referenced age and end of life issues.

As far as the movie was concerned I felt it was too long almost like you can tell JK is milking this story for all it is worth. It was definately better than the last one but pales in comparison to POA which was the best.

PS it just seems to me as if the British just make up words all the time. LOL but I’m sure they feel the same about us americans

Have you read the books? The movie actually doesn’t make a lot of sense (my guess, anyway) if one hasn’t read the books.

1. Slughorn’s relationship with the students is fleshed out a LOT more in the books. Basically, Slughorn is…well, a kissup. He enjoys being a teacher in school so he can pinpoint the most intellegent, atheletic, and those he feels will excel in the wizarding world so he can get things like free tickets to sporting events, renoun in politics, and power in general. In the book, successful witches and wizards are described as his “trophies.” Also, not shown at ALL in the movie, was the fact that each and every single student in the “Slug Club” (as it was called), HATED it. Everyone saw Slughorn as a weird freaky man who couldn’t succeed on his own, so he needed to piggyback on the accomplishments of others. The general message about this is disdain, and showing how wrong it is to do that.

2. In the book, Dumbledore and others make it clear that “their lives are not as valuable” because everyone knows that the prophecy has made it quite clear that ONLY Harry can destroy Voldemort. Their reasoning to die to protect harry is them laying their life down specifically for the cause, not just Harry. The only means to defeat Voldemort is to get Harry to the place where he can destroy the mortal Voldemort. They frequently use many other excuses (like being old) to get Harry to go along with it, because they know his sense of protecting his friends at his own peril is very strong. Plus, we find out spoiler alert that Dumbledore was dying anyway. He was given a very short amount of time left to live, so all the more reason for Dumbledore to risk his life, rather than let Harry die to save him. You also have to keep in mind that Dumbledore saw Harry almost as if he was his kid. If in a similar situation, wouldn’t you do all you could to make SURE that your kid wouldn’t try to put himself in danger to TRY to save you? Anyway, this all ends in the 7th book with a VERY strong messianic theme that can help teach kids about christ.

I saw the 6th movie the other day, and while I didn’t like some of the changes they made, I REALLY liked the message about good and evil. It’s showing that evil will twist you, use you, and spit you out. There is darkness, despair, and awfulness. Whereas the good, is able to find joy in not only each other, but hope in the darkest situations. I loved that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.