Vatican-Palestinian agreement enters into force [CC]

The new agreement between the Holy See and Palestine entered into force on January 2, the Holy See Press Office announced.The agreement, announced in June, “regards essential …

More…

Can someone explain why the Catholic Church has done this? Seems to run counter to the Old Testament.

How so?

I am very happy that the Vatican is for peace and negotiation in the ME. These are very good things to be for.

they should have waited until Hamas is eliminated. Then maybe the area would have peace. Then an agreement would be a good idea AFTER that.

Hamas does not yet control the west Bank, but if Israel stops providing security for the Palestinian Authority there, it will. And then the Vatican will find itself with no agreement worthy of the name. Probably the Vatican negotiators know that.

Genesis 12: 1-7:

Now the Lord said to Abram,
“[Go forth from your country,
And from your relatives
And from your father’s house,
To the land which I will show you;
2 And I will make you a great nation,
And I will bless you,
And make your name great;
And so [you shall be a blessing;
3 And I will bless those who bless you,
And the one who curses you I will curse.
And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed.”

4 So Abram went forth as the Lord had spoken to him; and Lot went with him. Now Abram was seventy-five years old when he departed from Haran. 5 Abram took Sarai his wife and Lot his nephew, and all their possessions which they had accumulated, and the persons which they had acquired in Haran, and they]set out for the land of Canaan; thus they came to the land of Canaan. 6 Abram passed through the land as far as the site of Shechem, to the oak of Moreh. Now the Canaanite was then in the land. 7 The Lord appeared to Abram and said, **“To your descendants I will give this land.” **So he built an altar there to the Lord who had appeared to him.

The Vatican is recognising that the land given to Abram by God actually belongs to others.

Do you really think this action will bring about peace?

There is no peace, except that which is given by Christ, and His peace cannot abide with those who do not do the will of His Father.

No, its not. Even if you interpret this passage to literally bequeath the Levant for all time to the descendants of Abraham, the Palestinians are descendants of Abraham.

Genesis 17:20-21 further clarifies the covenant made with Abraham:

20 Now as for Ishmael, I will heed you: I hereby bless him. I will make him fertile and will multiply him exceedingly. He will become the father of twelve chieftains, and I will make of him a great nation. 21 But my covenant I will maintain with Isaac, whom Sarah shall bear to you by this time next year.

I don’t think that it will bring about peace. At least it hasn’t even though everybody else in the world is all for peace and negotiation too.

But isn’t it enough that the Vatican is all for niceness in the world?

Without comment or endorsement, here is a fuller explanation of the context of the agreement.

Yet another reason why I am proud to be a Catholic^.

This is what the Catholic Church does, our message is one of peace and tolerance. God bless the Palestinians.

It will help hopefully. Fwiw I have the utmost confidence in the Catholic Church.

What do you think about Jews and their beliefs?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.