Vatican picks the Beatles and Oasis among its top ten albums

telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/vaticancityandholysee/7236258/Vatican-picks-the-Beatles-and-Oasis-among-its-top-ten-albums.html
I can’t get my reason to kick in with this ^ (thought Christians were to move away from pop music and things?) for a more “sacred ethos” i would value everyone’s opinions and views.

L’Osservatore Romano, said the 10 albums were the perfect listening material for anyone who found themselves marooned on a desert island…(and) until recently the staid and stuffy journal of record for goings-on at the Vatican, L’Osservatore Romano has recently tried to strike a more contemporary tone,

Sounds like nothing more than an editorial and this “semi-official” newspaper does not speak with any teaching authority for the Church.

It wasn’t “the Vatican” that picked these. It was the Holy See’s newspaper. Never trust a news headline.

We are called to be in the world but not of it. The Church has a history of co-opting secular culture (especially stylistic trends in art and music) and adapting them for spiritual ends.

St Paul tells us to fill our minds with whatever is good, true, noble, beautiful, excellent etc. There is more than enough good, worthy and inspirational material amongst the albums picked that the majority of them at least meet St Paul’s criteria.

Good picks, interesting they are mostly baby boomer age albums which works for me. :slight_smile:

a weird selection - but it’s nice to imagine the Holy Father bopping along to the latest pop hits in a vatican ballroom.

p.s. liam gallagher ex-oasis is in all the uk newspapers today - a scandal.

It is?

The music is one thing (enjoyable to many of us). The messages in the music are something else entirely. They include the fanciful (OK), allusions to hallucinatory drugs (not OK), and atheism (“Imagine,” not OK). I didn’t read the article. Is is just all-Beatles? or particular albums/songs?

THE TOP TEN (In order of release)

1. Revolver by the Beatles
  2. If I could Only Remember My Name by David Crosby
  3. The Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd
  4. Rumours by Fleetwood Mac
  5. The Nightfly by Donald Fagen
  6. Thriller by Michael Jackson
  7. Graceland by Paul Simon
  8. Achtung Baby by U2
  9. (What’s the story) Morning Glory by Oasis
  10. Supernatural by Carlos Santana

I love that U2’s Achtung Baby is on the list. My favorite album of all time. I can just turn it on and listen all the way through. One is my favorite song of all time with Mysterious Ways following close behind. :slight_smile:

L’Osservatore Romano is not a doctrinal voice for the Church. It has often been called into question for strange comments from the Beatles to the Simpsons. The above list ultimately reflects the opinion of whoever wrote it and not beyond.

My fiance loves the Beatles and he is going to get me to listen to all of the albums. Yes, he has them all I believe. Now, I, on the other hand, love Fleetmac!! I love Rumours! I grew up listening to their music.

Not this again! :rolleyes:

extremely grateful for all the input… i feel better informed now! forgive me if it was a previous topic on here.

The selection of all time top albums dates these Vatican newspaper editors too.:slight_smile:

Rumours was a great album for sure. I can’t much remember the lyrics, but it is the mood and the beauty of the music that is remembered about all good music.

The message of some of this music wasn’t always, or even often, that great, but they speak of what it is like living in the world as it is now. That is what makes it popular.

In another thirty years, I am guessing when that generation comes of age into those kind of jobs, it will be rap music that will make the list, and the message of that genre is further down the road from Catholicism.
Luckily, people still listen to the music for the music, and the message is of secondary importance, or often not really important at all.

Music is one of the pleasures of life for sure.
For Catholics too, no less.

Santana has put out a lot of good music, it is interesting that they selected “Supernatural” (1999) out of a huge amount of production by this artist and band.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernatural_%28Santana_album%29

It’s almost like they wanted to put in a Hispanic artist in their list.

Drug inspired music is the recommendation?

What would be interesting would be for posters to personally pick 10 albums or however many, Rock and Pop genre that we might see as being somewhat “religious” in tone or otherwise, be favorable to the Vatican. The David Crosby selection is fascinating because I think I’ve heard pieces of it and it may indeed be so. It’s interesting to see Crosby there but not Bob Dylan.

I’d go something like this:

1. Abbey Road by the Beatles

I look at Revolver, it has Eleanor Rigby on it with that one line “Father McKenzie…” I can see how this album might work, “Let it be” has the song of course, “Let it be” but otherwise might not be as strong of an album. to me, there is something almost Biblical about “Abbey Road”, I’ll go with that. After all, “Abbey” does have a religious Catholic significance.

1. If I could Only Remember My Name by David Crosby I will just go with that.

2. The Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd , the 2nd album I will stick with their picks.

So, I don’t think I need to continue this list, perhaps it is actually fairly good in selection in a general way.

Just perhaps a Bob Dylan selection, something like “Another Side of Bob Dylan”,

“Jesus Christ Superstar” has to be pop. Not sure if a musical rock opera fits in the list guidelines.

And with Santana, I would need to listen to the album they recommend but I’m sure he in fact recorded a bit of spiritual music.

This album the “Nightfly” is somewhat obscure to me as well.

Fairly good list without getting political. Arlo Guthrie, famous for converting to Catholicism I believe, might be worth a mention. “City of New Orleans” and songs like that are pretty good. Jimi Hendrix was pretty good, perhaps people would see him as a drug user, he had a lot of talent.

:thumbsup:

Well, Heck, if Rolling Stone is a music voice, has their 100 greatest albums of all time, fine with me if the Vatican or L’Osservatore Romano comes out with a list of their own, especially since I still enjoy rock music but will never buy a Rolling Stone.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.