VATICAN - Pope says its “absurd to love Christ without the Church, to listen to Christ but not the Church, to be with Christ at the margins of the Church" [AN]

Pope says its “absurd to love Christ without the Church, to listen to Christ but not the Church, to be with Christ at the margins of the Church"

More…

:thumbsup:

Extremely well said. :thumbsup:

Hmmmm. I wonder how’s the media going to spin this one? :smiley:

May God continue to Bless our Pope.

“The Christian is not a baptized who receives baptism and then goes on his way. The first fruit of Baptism is to make you belong to the Church, the People of God. You cannot understand a Christian without the Church. This is why the great Paul VI said that it is an absurd dichotomy to love Christ without the Church, to listen to Christ but not the Church, to be with Christ at the margins of the Church. It’s not possible. It is an absurd dichotomy. We receive the Gospel message in the Church and we carry out our holiness in the Church, our path in the Church. The other is a fantasy, or, as he said, an absurd dichotomy”.

:smiley:

I totally agree with this. Shuts the argument down of, it’s only me and God.

Jesus prayed that there would be One Lord, One Baptism, One Faith, One Church. That all be ONE in Him and the Father. That should be our goal too. God Bless, Memaw

Yup. Wonder how this will play in the media?

/sarcasm on
Oh that Pope, he’s soooo “liberal.”
/sarcasm off

This could be entertaining.

I like it… Thanks Pope Francis…

When His Holiness uses the word “Church”, does anyone here know for certain that he is referring to the Catholic Church, or is he including all Christian churches in his definition? This is an honest question and not being asked in a contentious way. :slight_smile:

Here’s a similar homily, including the same quote from Paul VI, where he explicitly says the Church he is referring to is “as St. Ignatius said, ‘hierarchical and Catholic.’ So be it.”

zenit.org/en/articles/pope-s-homily-on-feast-of-st-george

I think he means Catholic Church, mostly because the quote is actually Paul VI (whom Pope Francis calls “the great Paul VI.” :smiley: )

Also he goes on the talk about the three pillars - humility, fidelity, and prayer.

The second pillar is fidelity, “that is linked to obedience”. "Fidelity to the Church, fidelity to its teaching; fidelity to the Creed; fidelity to the doctrine…

The Creed and doctrine would point to the Catholic Church. Also in the third pillar he talks about Mass which non-Catholic christians don’t have.

Thank you Mrs. Sally and Genesis!

The Protestants will love this. :rolleyes:

There might even be a magazine burning.

I think that’s already happened after his acknowledgement of the Council of Trent. :slight_smile:

:eek: Do you have a link for that one?

In Latin:

vatican.va/holy_father/francesco/letters/2013/documents/papa-francesco_20131119_brandmuller-450-chiusura-concilio-trento_lt.html

Here’s the only full English translation I can find:

rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2013/11/francis-writing-on-council-of-trent.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.