VATICAN - Pope: “We are appalled by such barbarity” and "use of the name of God" to justify violence "is blasphemy!" [AN]

Ufa ! 
 :yup:

Thanks Thomas White.

Yes. At Mass on Sunday my priest was still saying we need to get along and love each other. I don’t know how you get along with someone who doesn’t care to get along with you.

The Pope stated it properly.

Fran

My point in saying that it should be read it because I used to think we all worshipped the same God. You know, the big 3 monothestic religions. After some reading the only conclusion one could come to is that really Islam is following a man, not God Almighty.
That man is Muhammad, and the only way to get to know what he teached/teaches still, is to read the Koran, the book he wrote.

It’ll wake anybody up who is still believing as I used to.

Fran

I wish someone reading the Koran would conclude:

No Thanks.

Nice!

One little word says a lot!

:slight_smile:

Which is a non-answer to my point.

So what does your " huh" mean ,if you do not mind?
It felt unable to explain,or correct myself , or answer any further specifically,if you were interested…

It is indeed a challenge. I have Catholic neighbors who give me dirty looks when the wind blows large leaves to their side, even though I don’t own a tree with such leaves. And then there are my Muslim neighbors who I’ve managed to befriend because I once found their cat. Go figure.

Will we ever agree on anything?
I have two muslim friends too.
So what??
You’re catholic neighbors are not putting bombs in restaurants.
Dirty looks don’t hurt as much as shrapnel in your stomach.

Now you’re stereotyping; did you realize that? I get enough of that already, thank you.

Ummm. How am I stereotyping?

Here’s our exchange:

Fran says:
Originally Posted by frangiuliano115 View Post
Yes. At Mass on Sunday my priest was still saying we need to get along and love each other. I don’t know how you get along with someone who doesn’t care to get along with you.

You say:
It is indeed a challenge. I have Catholic neighbors who give me dirty looks when the wind blows large leaves to their side, even though I don’t own a tree with such leaves. And then there are my Muslim neighbors who I’ve managed to befriend because I once found their cat. Go figure.

Fran says:
Will we ever agree on anything?
I have two muslim friends too.
So what??
You’re catholic neighbors are not putting bombs in restaurants.
Dirty looks don’t hurt as much as shrapnel in your stomach.

You say:
Now you’re stereotyping; did you realize that? I get enough of that already, thank you.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

So how am I stereotyping?
You brought the whole idea up first.

Does every catholic give dirty looks when the wind blows?
Will every muslim be your friend because you found their cat?

My reply is: SO?
What does that prove??
Am I wrong that it’s NOT the catholics that are placing bombs in restaurants?
Did I say EVERY muslim places bombs in restaurants? I don’t think my friends do.

However, we can deduct this from observation:

Not every muslim places bombs but
all bombs are placed by muslims

Take it as you will. Truth is truth.

I didn’t understand what you meant.
Thomas White was nice enough to explain and I understood.

No problem. I agree with you.

We can leave it at that then,Fran.No problem either.

You said some people read the bible and conclude: No Thanks.

I said that I wished some people that read the Koran would conclude: No Thanks.

You could expound on your idea - no one is stopping you!

I’m saying that I have very little knowledge of the book of Islam, but what I know I do not like. it’s contradictory and violent.

I used to think we served the same God. But my God says to love your neighbor as yourself. That God says to kill the infidel. The infidel is anyone who is not of the Islamic faith. Infedele = not faithful (to Islam and to Allah, as Muhammad understood Him to be).

:slight_smile:

I think this is the argument used to link McVeigh and other terrorists to Mohammedism. Is this the Truth, though? What if they converted after they become disciples of terrorism, if they converted at all?

Am I making any sense? Or are both of us being too argumentative, because I really don’t see any constructiveness coming out of all this?

“To learn about a religion it’s a good idea to read their book - in this case the Koran. No other way.”

The problem with this is that just reading the book of a religion doesn’t actually teach you much about the religion itself. What it does do is give you your personal interpretation of what the religion is all about. A serious examination of any faith requires not just reading its holy text, but learning the basics of its theology and how the holy text fits within its theology. An atheist who just reads the Bible, for example, gets his/her atheistic interpretation of the Bible and nothing else. Hand me a Bible and say “yeah, this is literally what Christians believe” and I’d probably say “no thanks” because even though I’m Catholic, my personal interpretation of it would result in a lot of faulty data. A non-Muslim, particularly one who believes in a faith that holds Islam to be a mixture of truths and errors and isn’t divinely inspired, who is reading the Quran based out of concern of Islamic extremism isn’t going to learn much of what Islam actually teaches. More than likely they will have their already formed conclusions about Islam confirmed regardless if these conclusions are accurate or not.

So who has the authority to determine theological truths- the Church or Muhammad? The Church teaches that Muslims worship the same God we do. What Muhammad says about it only matters if you think he had the same authority as the Church.

No more arguing. I’m just saying that there is a religion here. Some say it’s not what the religion really teaches - then they should stand up and say so.

I have people telling me how evil catholicism is because of the crusades. When it was just Europe defending itself and trying to free itself from that religion. Ever been to Spain? There’s that middle eastern architecture all over. Can’t think what it’s called right now.

It’s getting late here. Let’s just agree that terrorists should be eliminated.
Not all bombs have been marked by Islam. I remember the Red Brigades here.
So we’re good.

Fran

Okay. I know what you’re talking about. I’ve told a poster several times that he can’t learn about christianity from the net.

But, let me ask. Have YOU read the Koran?

If not, you should.

If so - what impression did it leave on you?

You know, a big picture. I agree that you can’t learn about a religion from it’s book. But you could glean a lot and get the Big Picture.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.