Vatican Report Calls Cosmetic Surgery A 'Burqa Made Of Flesh'

Any thoughts?

ROME – “Women try to conform to be accepted,” Italian actress Nancy Brilli said at a press conference Monday at the Vatican. “I do not understand demonizing someone if she doesn’t feel comfortable, and then after the operation feels better. As long as the point is to become what you want and not to follow a standard imposed from outside.”

Brilli was passionately defending the use of cosmetic surgery in response to a working document released by the Pontifical Council for Culture in the lead-up to its Feb. 4-7 plenary assembly. The gathering later this week in Rome is dedicated to “Women’s Cultures: Equality and Difference.” The document provocatively quoted one description of cosmetic surgery as “a burqa made of flesh.”

Brilli had appeared in a video that was also part of the lead-up to the plenary assembly. That video turned out to be so controversial that the English-language version was taken down by the Vatican.

At the press conference, the actress directly challenged Cardinal Gianfranco Ravasi, head of the Pontifical Council for Culture and promoter of the women’s initiative. According to the journalists present, he appeared to be mildly embarrassed by the phrase “burqa made of flesh” and commented on the use of cosmetic surgery as “an interesting aspect” of contemporary culture.

The working document, however, explicitly condemns plastic surgery: “‘Plastic surgery is like a burqa made of flesh.’ One woman gave us this harsh and incisive description. Having been given freedom of choice for all, are we not under a new cultural yoke of a singular feminine model? What do we think of women used in advertising and in the mass media?”

huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/02/vatican-cosmetic-surgery_n_6598170.html

Why is it that women resort to cosmetic surgery so that men will think they are more sexually attractive, and when men than act that way, the women are offended, or feel they are being treated as sex object?

I haven’t seen any data on this (is there any?) but to personal experience, most of the women that I know who have had cosmetic surgery did not do it to appeal to men.

Cosmetic surgery not based on reconstructive purposes is just based on narcissism and bodily insecurities. More “dainty” noses; tucking in “elephant ears”; bigger breasts; fuller lips; a tighter butt; a more “younger” face etc.

I mean, makeup is one thing, but cosmetic surgery is a different level of psychological illness.

personally, I have seen a few who got a nip and tuck to take out crows feet or a neck tightened os they didn’t have “turkey wattles”. I was not referring to those, but rather to the crowd who does “enhancements”… and the data on them in in the gossip sheets.

Some people are born with unfortunate features. I was lucky enough not to inherit the family trait of large nose, but a relative did, and I would never judge that relative if they chose to have a nose job, because if I had been born with such a a large nose I would have had surgery.

That’s why breast implants are the number 1 cosmetic surgery procedure?

I personally do not see the analogy.

Maybe they see both as something that is forced upon the women by men?

That seems a bit of a streach to me though so I’m not really seeing it either.

I said it was my personal experience… so yes, I don’t know any women who’ve undergone breast augmentation. I know of women who have, but not anyone I’ve ever been acquainted with.

[LEFT][size=4][size=4][FONT=Times-Roman][size=4][FONT=Times-Roman][size=4][FONT=Times-Roman][size=2]“Plastic surgery is like a burqa made of flesh.” One woman gave us this harsh and incisive description.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/LEFT]

One woman. It’s one woman’s hyperbolic opinion on something she probably isn’t really invested in. I can hear the earnestness in the comment. The comment is so over the top that is loses meaning and earnestness is needed to give it some substance.

[LEFT][FONT=Times-Roman][size=4][FONT=Times-Roman][FONT=Times-Roman][size=2]or “amputate” the expressive[/size][/size][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=Times-Roman][size=4][FONT=Times-Roman][FONT=Times-Roman][size=2]possibilities of the human face which are so connected to the empathic abilities.[/size][/size]
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[LEFT][FONT=Times-Roman][size=4][size=2]This one could apply to me. They don’t specify what is being referred to but it could be botox and similar products. The use of botox will remove wrinkles from different areas but will temporarily and partially paralyze the muscles that are making the wrinkles. I have a groove that develops between my eyes that can make me look angry or like I’m judging or scrutinizing the person I’m looking at. The product I use gets rid of the groove and if I try to frown the muscles in my forehead won’t scrunch up. I think it’s funny; I can’t look angry. But ultimately I look more approachable which is beneficial both professionally and socially. [/size][/size][/FONT][/LEFT]

[LEFT][size=4][FONT=Times-Roman][size=2]What seems to be missing from that document is discussion of when such procedures might be beneficial and useful. I mean I could laminate a sign that reads, “I’m (probably) not angry with you or judging you” but such a display seems more artificial than a little chemical shot between my eyes.[/size][/size][/FONT][/LEFT]

Fixation on first world problems while ignoring holocaust of Christians in the Middle East and Niger.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.