Vatican resumes talks with traditionalist SSPX [CWN]

Bishop Bernard Fellay, the superior general of the traditionalist Society of St. Pius X (SSPX), met on September 23 with officials of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (CDF), …

More…

Vatican resumes talks with breakaway group of traditionalist Catholics cruxnow.com/church/2014/09/23/vatican-eyes-gradual-talks-with-breakaway-group/

The one commentor made an interesting point I think. It IS hard to imagine Bishop Fellay being less accommodating to Cardinal Muller than the some of the German bishops who have publicly opposed Muller.

One blog was saying, SSPX is in “full communion” but “imperfect reconciliation”. So I certainly don’t vouch for that observation, it is interesting.

Is the SSPX considered in schism? I know it’s considered irregular but has it been formally identified as being schismatic?

Schismatic acts have been committed but no formal schism AFAIK. In fact, the excommunications incurred by the (illegal) consecration of the 4 bishops have been removed by Pope Benedict. Not all is well however and irregular is perhaps the best way to describe their current canonical status. Not to mention internal disarray.

Thank you! :slight_smile:

news.yahoo.com/vatican-eyes-gradual-talks-breakaway-group-125452649.html?bcmt=1411220919052-ac2b73bd-533c-46e0-8956-84ab5ad1d8d3_00026b000000000000000000000000-06f73f0e-081b-40ce-8d1a-d4ca196d2709&bcmt_s=u#mediacommentsugc_container

< The election of Pope Francis hasn’t improved matters. Francis doesn’t care for the old Latin Mass and has described traditionalists as self-absorbed retrogrades who aren’t helping the church’s mission to evangelize. >

I doubt that the pope doesn’t care for the Latin mass. And I doubt he regards all traditionalists as self-absorbed retrogrades. Not all traditionalists are schismatic.

You are, of course, right that not all traditionalists are schismatic. But, I think the Pope has made his feelings on the TLM and traditionalists pretty clear, and unfortunately, I think the article is correct :frowning:

John Allen wrote on Crux that in the Anglosphere, traditionalists actually do a whole lot of evangelical work.

It is crystal clear from recent history that traditionalists are not the only ones who are self-absorbed.

To me, the TLM evangelizes in itself, it seems refreshing.

Indeed.

youtube.com/watch?v=lo9q-dt7Bo8

:thumbsup:

I didn’t know that SSPX was schismatic. When did that happen?

I believe they have been considered in schism since the illicit ordinations. In any event, Cardinal Mueller, head of the CDF and the Cardinal in talks with the SSPX, refers to them as in schism.

The Eastern Orthodox are in schism and their confessions are valid as they do not need to obtain faculties from the Roman Catholic Church to hear confessions. If the SSPX are in schism, why would they need to obtain faculties from the Roman Catholic bishop to hear confessions?

Good question.

The SSPX is not in schism. They would be if they attempted to consecrate a Bishop. They are in an irregular state and are still bound by canon law which they continue to violate.

They do not have facilities to confer absolution which is derived from the ordinary- A Bishop with authority. They have no canonically recognized ordinaries- thus they cannot confer absolution.

This is true if they’re not in schism because ultimately the power to forgive sins comes from Rome, then to the local ordinary, then the priests. Not all bishops, though valid, have the okay from Rome on that score. Example are the four FSSPX* (Fraternitas Sacerdotalis Sancti Pii X) bishops.

*more commonly they are abbreviated to SSPX and I really don’t know why. They aren’t really a society but a fraternity.

Thanks for the link PV. I will look at it later on. God bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.