Vatican’s media adviser offers ‘Top 10’ ways to understand Pope Francis

No matter how some media may want to spin it, Pope Francis won’t fit into the political categories of left or right, and he will challenge everyone with the truth of the Gospel, said the Vatican’s media adviser.

“ Pope Francis is not a politically correct pope,” rather, he is “a loyal son of the church” who presents the hard truths with a heavy dose of mercy, said Greg Burke, senior communications adviser to the Vatican Secretariat of State.

facebook.com/PopeFrancisPage/posts/245579652261916:0

Probably a better link to the same story! Sorry I did not realize it was a facebook link in the first post.

thebostonpilot.com/article.asp?ID=16555

I like the article, though I disagree with the assertion that Francis is not politically correct. I think he is usually very politically correct.

I had you in mind when I posted this.

:slight_smile:

Glad you liked it!

Very good article, thank you for posting it. The article ends with this, "Burke, who’s a numerary member of Opus Dei and went to Jesuit-run St. Louis University High School in St. Louis, said he used to joke with people “that everyone should have a Jesuit education. Now with Pope Francis, everyone is getting the benefits of a Jesuit education.”

Can anyone give me a short precise definition of what a “Jesuit education” means? I know I can google it and read many pages on what it means. I’m asking if someone who already knows about it, can give me a paragraph or two summarizing the meaning?

Just look at the Congress and White House:

Ten percent of the 112th U.S. Congress are Jesuit college and university alumni. Among the 535 Members of this Congress, 53 of them are alumni of Jesuit institutions. At least 30 alumni also serve in appointed positions in the Obama Administration.

There are 12 Jesuit alumni in the Senate and 41 in the House of Representatives. Among the top leadership, Congressmen John Boehner (R-OH) is the first Jesuit alumnus to serve as the Speaker of the House of Representatives. Congressman Steny Hoyer (D-MD) serves as the House Minority Whip. In the Senate, Senator Richard Durbin (D-IL) continues as the Assistant Majority Leader.

Of these 53 alumni, 35 received graduate or professional degrees from Jesuit universities. There are 18 Jesuit institutions represented by alumni in the U.S. Congress. Georgetown University has the most alumni with a total of 18; followed by Boston College with seven; the College of the Holy Cross with four; while Creighton University, Fordham University, Marquette University, and the University of Detroit Mercy each have three.

source: scu.edu/news/features.cfm?c=9340

These guys can’t compromise or get anything accomplished. The Dems follow lockstep with Pres. Obama, the Reps talk tough but then fold like a house of cards. I’m not impressed or by looking at the most recent polls are most of the people in this country.

Forgive me, but were you attempting to define “a Jesuit education”? I just wondered, because with ‘Jesuit alumni’ in the minority in government by your own numbers, just how does the state of the government or people’s satisfaction with them reflect on Jesuit education? Truly puzzled. :confused:

I don’t think that was a definition of a Jesuit education. Maybe it was a commentary on how meaningless it is? But people are people, and what they take from any education is based more on them, than their teachers.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.