Vatican scientists co-host conference in Arizona seeking alien life in universe

foxnews.com/science/2014/03/17/is-alien-life-vatican-observatory-science-conference/

Will EWTN/Vatican send media coverage?
What is the popular concencus among Catholics about alien life?

From what I’ve seen, there is no popular consensus, at least not here at CAF. :slight_smile: You will have people tell there there is no way God created anyone but us, and others of us who say it’s completely possible that there are other races out there.

:popcorn:

I believe the popular consensus is that we don’t know.

C.S. Lewis wrote a space-science trilogy, and the second book “Perelandra” is about a planet of that name that was “unfallen”. Earth was referred to as the “bent planet”.

I’ll believe in aliens when I bloody see them.

ICXC NIKA

Fun to daydream about. And about as useless in terms of usefulness.

I see two most likely probabilities:

1. Nothing out there as sentient as we are (if anything is out there at all).
  2. Anything out there smart enough to travel interstellar distances is smart enough to leave life forms as primitive as us alone.

In either of the above most likely scenarios, we won’t need to address the issue in our lifetimes.

Or (3) They have a world and bodies completely incompatible with ours, and so visitations to us would not be worth the trouble.

(4) the distance is just too far.

Really, given the incredible distances and the huge variance in planetary environments, the “Close Encounters” scenario is vanishingly unlikely.

ICXC NIKA

What aliens?

So far we have no hard evidence for life on any other body in space besides earth–not even a microbe.

I heard one of the leading scientists gloat (yes that’s the word) over “the building blocks of life” having been found in asteroids. I have to say, so what? That’s not life. If asked, I know he would not be able to say how life begins or how it began on earth. But he and others like him keep insisting that life probably came from “out there.” Based on what? Such skimpy evidence as that? One may as well say that a pile of bricks will form a building simply because they exist. :rolleyes:

I believe in aliens just a little bit less than I believe in ghosts, that is, not really at all. If I see something conclusive I’d gleefully change my opinion.

lol that is the same thing some people to this day say about God and Christ !

maybe the question should be if there was solid irrefutable proof of alien life , how would that proof change your life and your way of thinking about God / Christ, would your faith break or would it just be a happy surprise ?

We have been told by the Church that alien life is possible. However, it has never been observed. Now that we are finding other planets, we should not limit our thoughts about which planet is habitable or not. We may encounter life that is totally unlike anything we’ve imagined.

Peace,
Ed

The difference being that the existence or lack thereof of aliens in no way affects my life. The “philosophical ramifications” of their existence mattering less to me than a suitcase full of Monopoly money.

Whereas, even a confirmed atheist would have to admit that if he knew God to exist it would matter a great deal to his life!

ICXC NIKA

hmm now that is interesting, the existence of alien life vs confirming the existence of God / Christ to an atheist…

I agree that even if someone in the government had proof of alien life or if aliens landed tomorrow, that my life wouldn’t change at all, my problems would still be here, bills to be paid, job to look for etc… But I think for those who believe in God / Christ and are apart of any religion their faith probably wont be harmed …

But for those who do not believe in God, who would eventually say in this hypothetical well look alien life has just been proven so now prove God exists , their lives are dramatically changed, an impressionable person or a person of no faith or religious affiliation could easily be lead by the nose as has been done by cult leaders in our past, by an intelligent alien entity . An it would take a lot of intelligence for a people to not believe that an advanced alien life is not worth putting their faith in or being something worth worshiping.

I do think that a portion of the population would at the very least try to make out an intelligent alien life to be some kind of god to worship. As seen on the docudrama on the history channel of ancient aliens some people would point to that in a heart beat an be like there we go that program was true.

The Vatican / the Papacy every clergy member of the Church would have a big steaming mess on their hands if contact was made with an alien race. Not that the Church would crumble, it would be a mess of trying to calm the masses down and getting people to remain rational long enough to digest any information coming from the Pope or the Vatican .

But I think at best 100 years from now scientists land on another moon in our system find some lil micro bug crawling around maybe even a few germs or what ever on Mars, an big whoop. That would make science history while everyone else is waiting for space ships to land. It would be more interesting to create a ship to travel to habital planets and to start colonizing those planets or even moons, instead of wasting money searching for or having conferences on alien life.

Peace

Live feed at:

ebi2014.org/

To an atheist no amount of proof would make him believe. Belief in God is a work of the Holy Spirit. We all of us take a good many things on “faith.” Only the atheist seems to be unwilling to admit that. :wink:

I agree that even if someone in the government had proof of alien life or if aliens landed tomorrow, that my life wouldn’t change at all, my problems would still be here, bills to be paid, job to look for etc… But I think for those who believe in God / Christ and are apart of any religion their faith probably wont be harmed …

Indeed. Why would it make any difference? How could the existence of alien life prove/disprove sound theology?

But for those who do not believe in God, who would eventually say in this hypothetical well look alien life has just been proven so now prove God exists , their lives are dramatically changed, an impressionable person or a person of no faith or religious affiliation could easily be lead by the nose as has been done by cult leaders in our past, by an intelligent alien entity . An it would take a lot of intelligence for a people to not believe that an advanced alien life is not worth putting their faith in or being something worth worshiping.

No one is truly worshiped merely because they are intelligent, so why should an alien, such as Mr. Spock be worshiped? Certainly people would be deeply affected by sentient aliens landing on earth, who wouldn’t be? But worship? I can’t imagine an intelligent being capable of traveling millions of light years wanting to be worshiped by humans.

I do think that a portion of the population would at the very least try to make out an intelligent alien life to be some kind of god to worship. As seen on the docudrama on the history channel of ancient aliens some people would point to that in a heart beat an be like there we go that program was true.

Some might, but would the aliens themselves accept it or want it? I wouldn’t think so.

The Vatican / the Papacy every clergy member of the Church would have a big steaming mess on their hands if contact was made with an alien race. Not that the Church would crumble, it would be a mess of trying to calm the masses down and getting people to remain rational long enough to digest any information coming from the Pope or the Vatican.

Why would such an event be a “big steaming mess for the clergy?” Why would people have to be calmed down? Only if aliens came here to conquer us could I see anyone getting all worked up to the point of going crazy merely by aliens coming to earth. I think most people would be happy to greet them in the hopes that we might have good relations with them.

But I think at best 100 years from now scientists land on another moon in our system find some lil micro bug crawling around maybe even a few germs or what ever on Mars, an big whoop. That would make science history while everyone else is waiting for space ships to land. It would be more interesting to create a ship to travel to habital planets and to start colonizing those planets or even moons, instead of wasting money searching for or having conferences on alien life.

Peace

Well, people will waste money on whatever gives them thrills and chills. I can’t understand all the hoopla, either. Another life form is just another life form, after all. It makes no difference to who God is, to what man is in relation to God. But man apart from God seems to need something to keep him searching for goodness knows what. Such a relentless need to “prove” the existence of aliens is an indication of restless and unhappy souls, IMHO.

I don’t see any reason for it to change the way I think about God, and it certainly wouldn’t “break” my faith.

It’s pretty clear that aliens exist, because they just abducted an airliner over the South China Sea.

The alien abduction phenomenon has no proof or evidence. And if we found alien life, it may not be like us at all.

Peace,
Ed

Why should life be limited to one little jurk-water planet in one little solar system out in the back forty of a common galaxy? Why limit God to just us? :D:D:popcorn::bounce::knight1:

Why do some plants and animals thrive only in certain environments? It may be that our location in our galaxy is the very reason life could be sustained on our planet. We don’t know if the conditions for life exist anywhere else.

It hardly matters if Earth is located on what seems to be an obscure location, but as opposed to what location? The center of the galaxy? Some other arm of the galaxy? Does it really make a difference as far as that’s concerned when it comes to where life should have been brought forth? It may be that life can only exist on the outer rim of galaxies. We simply don’t know enough about it to say one way or the other. :shrug:

As to limiting God–no one has limited God, but God may have limited himself. If he did limit sentient corporal life to just us, that’d be his prerogative as the Creator, wouldn’t it? :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.