"Vatican to Issue Stamp Featuring Martin Luther"

I almost wonder if what Luther did is similar to what modern day whistle blowers like Edward Snowden has done. I mean, he exposed some parts of the church that were not theologically correct such as the sale of indulgences. I am really curious if anyone else can see this as well because I am open to any insight. Though the connection between him and Snowden is that he did not leak valuable military secrets.

0 Likes

“Those who blindly and indiscriminately defend every decision of the supreme Pontiff are the very ones who do most to undermine the authority of the Holy See - they destroy instead of strengthening its foundations.” Bishop Melchior Cano, theologian of the Council of Trent

Melchor Cano was never canonized, nor beatified. He was heavily involved in a political dispute between his King, Philip II, and the Pope, which is the likely motivation for this quote. Pope Paul IV called Cano a “son of Perdition.”

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melchor_Cano#Consultatio_theologica

I have yet to see any quote from a Saint, theologian or bishop that backs up Cano on this point.

0 Likes

Alright.

Let’s all buy the stamps now :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Alright.

Let’s all buy the stamps now :slight_smile:

0 Likes

It is deplorable that the Vatican is holding up Luther as a figure from history for us to remember. The damage done by the so-called Reformation is inestimable in terms of the souls lost to Hell and the terrible destruction wrought by wars as well as cultural evils like contraception, abortion etc.
Things are getting worse
but the worse of the worse
is still to come.
On the positive side there is no positive side so things are shaping up nicely for a big bust-up. The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary will sort everything out for us faithful Catholics when she leads us to the victory as foretold at Fatima in 1917. :thumbsup:

0 Likes

Shocking, deplorable.

0 Likes

I was just waken up because a very bad dream. Having nothing else to do, I reached for my smart phone to check on my mesages and news. Still being a little incoherent, I stumbled onto this thread. “Hmmm…, This just can’t be hapenning… Oh, I get it… I am still in a very bad dream. That’s all it is.” I am telling myself. I will put my smart phone away now, and try to squeeze out another 2 hours of sleep.

0 Likes

Lifesitenews frequently attacks the Vatican. I will tell you sometimes they have good things about the pro-life movement but that’s usually it. I think they found some fake news and are using their own bias to confirm it

0 Likes

I don’t see it being true. And even if it is true? So what? I don’t think it undermines Church’s teaching compacity. I know a few weeks ago folks were talking about putting the statue of Martin Luther up in the Vatican now that’s not going to happen

0 Likes

Is that why it’s on The Washington Times? :blush:

washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jan/18/martin-luther-protestant-reformer-be-honored-vatic/

0 Likes

:smiley:

0 Likes

The Church of Luther’s time needed some reform not revolt. What Luther did was revolt against the Church.

0 Likes

I’m holding out for Arius stamps.

0 Likes

The Catholic Church had many ingrained problems from about the year 1200 onwards - massacring Balts, scruples about others’ property (through the “Spiritual Franciscans”), probabilism, fatalism (from 1492).

The Black Death - which God allowed within 4 years of purgatory-related indulgences being linked to monetary donations - killed off over half the clergy in Europe especially the most learned ones.

Trent and its simultaneous Protestant equivalent codified some of the worse aspects of the “faith” on “both”/all sides - such as acedia.

In the context of this massive slow burn series of explosions, it was surely a bit premature to excommunicate Luther so soon before better addressing some of the issues he belatedly flagged up. This was a huge raft of issues, on some of which he was wrong, and on some right. A fair few of them were debatable. On almost all of them, many people had expressed themselves before.

It is refreshing to make oneself aware of the huge range of contributions to discussion from all sides - Catholic and Protestant - prior to about 1550. The pretend crucial date and personality are made out to be Luther and 1517 but what is set in stone as “Catholic” and “protestant” dates from 1550.

As was pointed out in another thread 1529 at Speyer is where the first “protestants” protested about civil interference in freedom of religious belief and practice, and we are all in agreement with them now.

I am so grateful for the people of all denominations who nurtured me. I contrast that with a country where some family members live, which has had a “limpieza de sangre” mentality about everybody else’s mentality for the last 525 years and which tends to spawn more or less heretical “movements” and whose clergy have been in messy semi-schism all that time.

If I hadn’t long thought my philatelic days behind me, I’d scramble to add this to my collection simply because it represents for me so much more and so many better (though difficult) things than it does for others.

0 Likes

To commemorate the person of Luther is wrong, as far as I can tell. The fact that God was able to bring good out of the evil that Luther did is no recommendation of the man, any more than the fact that the Crucifixion was brought about in part by the treachery of Judas mitigates his sin.

This is not to say that Lutherans or any Protestants are bad, my comment is only about Luther himself.

And seriously, the more one learns about Luther, esp in his later life, the more one can see that he was not in any way a good Catholic.

0 Likes

churchpop.com/2014/08/10/29-of-martin-luthers-most-hiliariously-over-the-top-insults/

“Heretics are not to be disputed with, but to be condemned unheard, and whilst they perish by fire, the faithful ought to pursue the evil to its source, and bathe their heads in the blood of the Catholic bishops, and of the Pope, who is the devil in disguise.”
Martin Luther

Yea, He needs a stamp.:confused:

0 Likes

I am a convert from the Episcopal/Anglican church of 8 years. Of course, I knew of Martin Luther as a historical figure before, but it was here on CAF that I was made aware of the true nature of the damage he had done resulting in the thousands of denominations we have now.
I will watch and see if this news is true, but I am baffled by all of this commemoration
by the Vatican. Will King Henry VIII receive as much attention for creating the Anglican communion in the future? There are millions who worship the Anglican way.
As another poster pointed out, Luther revolted instead of trying to push for reforms.
All of this really has my head spinning!

0 Likes

:smiley:

0 Likes

The human person is worthy of profound respect.

0 Likes

Ridiculous!

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.