Vatican, University of Maryland enter stem cell research partnership

Baltimore Sun:

Vatican, University of Maryland enter stem cell research partnership

With the financial backing of the Vatican, University of Maryland researchers will lead an international group of scientists to study adult stem cells from the intestines with the hope of discovering treatments for diseases while bypassing the ethical debates that have embroiled such research for a decade.

The partnership, known as the International Intestinal Stem Cell Consortium, brings together researchers from the Center for Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine at the University of Maryland; the University of Salerno, Bambino Gesu — an Italian children’s hospital; and the Istituto Superiore di Sanita — the Italian equivalent of the National Institutes of Health.

This is not the first time the Roman Catholic Church has funded stem cell research, said Richard Doerflinger, associate director of pro-life activities at the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. Catholic dioceses in South Korea and Australia have supported adult stem cell research with grant money, he said.

“The Vatican has been very interested in adult stem cell research for many years,” he said. “I think it’s a logical outgrowth of the church’s interest in this field and of promoting ethically sound and beneficial stem cell research.”

Gee, I thought the Church was all medieval & anti-science.
Also check this out:
Adult Stem Cells: 72, Embryonic Stem Cells: 0 – UPDATED

This is not the first time the Roman Catholic Church has funded stem cell research, said Richard Doerflinger, associate director of pro-life activities at the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. Catholic dioceses in South Korea and Australia have supported adult stem cell research with grant money, he said.

Interesting news - thanks for posting it, Didymus.

I wonder what prompted the Vatican to fund this particular research effort, as opposed to adult stem cell research elsewhere in the US or the world?

If you have been following what the Vatican and the Pope (for me, I was born when JPII was the Pope) have said regarding science (e.g. evolution), I would say that nobody would really say that the Church is anti-science at all. Science explains how God did it, and faith tells us why God did it. Very much complementary.

I would say probably this is highlighted to contrast against the current media brain-washing? to show that we are not “medieval”?

At least I think it is something positive… very much needed for us.

Actually, that was a FAAH (feeble attempt at humor). I’m quite aware of how the Church has promoted science thru the ages.

For anyone interested in the subject I’d recommend the Catholic Laboratory podcast available from iTunes.

No surprise - the Church has always been supportive of scientific research guided by ethical concerns. I look forward to the university’s findings.

I love the explanation “science tells us how God did it - faith tells us why”; I’ll get mileage out of that one :slight_smile:

Science has nothing to do with God. I don’t think it explains much.

God bless,
Ed

I think the better answer is Adult Stem Cells have achieved results in treating people. Embryonic Stem Cell research has produced no treatments. Second, foreign material will be rejected by your body. Something rarely mentioned in popular articles about embryonic stem cells.

God bless,
Ed

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.