Vatican's chief exorcist warns that practicing yoga is 'satanic' Gateway to Possession

There is very little use of magic in C. S. Lewis or J. R. R. Tolkein, if you mean things that people can manipulate. Those works are about the discovery of deeper truths, not about how I personally can control things (rather than relying on a god).

Harry Potter, on the other hand, is based far more on magic. There is not the sense of “wonder” in creation, as in the older writers. It is more like “This is what I can do”.

I don’t think the word “fantasy” can cover both types of writing, they are different.

This is true, I don’t think the Vatican has a chief exorcist job title. However, the fact that his position may be inflated by the media does not erase the value of his statements. If he is an exorcist, approved by the Church, I would be interested in his insights specific to his experiences.

It technically does, which is why we need to judge for ourselves. Rules involve words, which as you point out, people redefine to match their judgments anyway.

Well you should know from Father Cesare Truqui the exorcist, who’s experience with these types of cases ,those possessed reveled ,they practiced yoga .its like say i don"t worship satan, but i only practice his moves

How about Father Gabriele Amorth Catholic priest who became the world’s best-known exorcist was the chief exorcist for the diocese of Rome and wrote several books about the dark art of casting out demons. he performed 70,000 exorcisms. Father Amorth was appointed the exorcist for the diocese of Rome in 1985.
In the early 1990s, he set up the International Association of Exorcists, which gained the endorsement of Pope Francis.

“As a Christian I fight the beast spiritually,” he once said. “Biblically speaking, we are in the last days and the beast is working furiously.”
Hours after his death, Father Jose Antonio Fortea, a Spanish theologian who knew Father Amorth, told the Catholic News Agency: “Now he rests from his many battles with the devil.”

Father Amorth was a deeply traditional figure, Popes John Paul II or Benedict XVI, both of whom were reported to have performed exorcisms fully supported him— or with the present Pope Francis. In 2014 the International Association of Exorcists was officially recognized by the Vatican.

The good Father was an exorcist in the Diocese of Rome. The “chief exorcist at the Vatican” title is exaggeration.

Father Amorth, a colourful and often outspoken personality, said: ‘practicing yoga brings evil as does reading Harry Potter. They both seem innocuous but they deal with magic and that leads to evil.'
He added:‘Yoga is the Devil’s work. You thing you are doing it for stretching your mind and body but it leads to Hinduism. All these oriental religions are based on the false belief of reincarnation.’

In the early 1990s, he set up the International Association of Exorcists, which gained the endorsement of Pope Francis.

The problem is the over usage of the word “yoga.”

Some yoga is very ritualistic, with candles and a Hindu or New Age devotee leading it

Some yoga is very similar to the ritualistic yoga, simply lacking candles and a zen like location

Finally, some things called “yoga” are really nothing more than stretching exercises - stripped of all religious positions and other religious elements.

The hard part is figuring out which classes call yoga are simply stretching exercises.

But for use Catholics, this is one reason we have groups like SoulCore http://soulcore.com

God Bless

Then it ain’t yoga…no problem.

But what type of yoga did they practice? There’s a difference between yoga as practiced in India/the East, and yoga as practiced by most westerners.

Then why is it that people can practice physical yoga for decades, and never be led to Hinduism? How does stretching your muscles lead to a religion?

Did you know that there is a yoga pose that consists of lying flat on your back, arms at your sides. Are you saying that you have never in your life done that, even in your sleep?

Its like saying we don"t worship satan, we only practice his moves ,the different positions which is performed in yoga in the westerners or elsewhere ,always, the external is the manifestation of the internal.practicing them will slowly lead to Hinduism or ,being a Catholic you will feel like ,not going for Holy Mass,or even if you go, you cannot concentrate ,you wont feel like praying the rosary and eventually become lukewarm internally, and even the belief in the sacrament or faith in them will be lost, you wont be aware of the internal changes taking place like Samson didnt realize the Lord left him" i have see first hand so many have lost their faith from the inside,

Judges 16 :20 Then she said, “The Philistines are upon you, Samson!” When he awoke from his sleep, he thought, “I will go out as at other times, and shake myself free.” But he did not know that the Lord had left him. 21 So the Philistines seized him and gouged out his eyes. They brought him down to Gaza and bound him with bronze shackles; and he ground at the mill in the prison.

Sirach 15:11 Do not say, “It was the Lord’s doing that I fell away,for he does not do what he hates.
12 Do not say, “It was he who led me astray”;for he has no need of the sinful.
13 The Lord hates all abominations; such things are not loved by those who fear him.
14 It was he who created humankind in the beginning,and he left them in the power of their own free choice.
15 If you choose, you can keep the commandments,and to act faithfully is a matter of your own choice.
16 He has placed before you fire and water;stretch out your hand for whichever you choose.
17 Before each person are life and death,and whichever one chooses will be given.

Maybe someone should provide a diagram of dangerous moves just in case we do them by accident.

Like i said, Its like saying we don"t worship satan, we only practice his moves,their are so many who chant specific words,which are dangerous, you can test those people who practice yoga, whether they are faithful Catholic or at least go to the sacraments or their prayer life, they rather don"t miss their yoga classes, than go for the Holy Mass.

1 Timothy 4:8 for, while physical training is of some value, godliness is valuable in every way, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.

Matthew 7:17 In the same way, every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus you will know them by their fruits.

Before you decide, research a little. See what the different stretches or poses were designed to do. Each an invitation to a different Hindu god or goddess. It is not benign.

“Yoga is not just merely an exercise but, indeed, a religious practice. The purpose of Yoga is to awaken the Kundalini spirit to move into your being and take possession of your body.” (Link below)

I think we should!

The above quote is from:

I do Know them ,didnt want to spread errors nor go into deep details,Thanks for the info

There are said to be 84 basic poses. (As explained by the Lord Shiva in ancient Hindu scripture texts) even thousands

I agree. Which begs the question, why do people even bother with yoga when there is a non-spiritual alternative? People stretched in high school gym class for years without using yoga. Why is yoga somehow “necessary” today?

What about those who don’t “chant specific words?” What about those who remain faithful, strong Catholics (or other Christian denominations) after decades of yoga stretching exercises?

Not sure how to obtain a citation for you, but a well known and intelligent exorcist name Fr. Chad Ripperger has confirmed a case where a young boy became possessed because he was reading the Harry Potter novels.

I like St. Paul’s response to a very similar situation. He was responding to whether the early Christians should eat meat from sacrifices offered to Roman deities.

1 Corinthians 8:4-13

4 Hence, as to the eating of food offered to idols, we know that " an idol has no real existence," and that "there is no God but one."
5 For although there may be so-called gods in heaven or on earth-as indeed there are many “gods” and many “lords”-
6 yet for us there is one God, the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we exist.
7 However, not all possess this knowledge. But some, through being until now accustomed to idols, eat food as really offered to an idol; and their conscience, being weak, is defiled.
8 Food will not commend us to God. We are no worse off if we do not eat, and no better off if we do.
9 Only take care lest this liberty of yours somehow become a stumbling block to the weak.
10 For if any one sees you, a man of knowledge, at table in an idol’s temple, might he not be encouraged, if his conscience is weak, to eat food offered to idols?
11 And so by your knowledge this weak man is destroyed, the brother for whom Christ died.
12 Thus, sinning against your brethren and wounding their conscience when it is weak, you sin against Christ.
13 Therefore, if food is a cause of my brother’s falling, I will never eat meat, lest I cause my brother to fall.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.