Vatican's chief exorcist warns that practicing yoga is 'satanic' Gateway to Possession

Dioceses keep this information confidential, and I cannot imagine a priest giving out information about a minor. Shake my head.

We are weak human beings, what about their souls,what if you gain the whole and lose your own soul .their are 3 spirits .one is God"s Spirit ,human spirit and evil spirit ,our human spirit should rely on the God not on evil spirits Ep 6;10- 20 we are not fighting against humans but evil spirits.why risk your soul for yoga?

1 Corinthians 10 9 We must not put Christ to the test, as some of them did, and were destroyed by serpents. 10 And do not complain as some of them did, and were destroyed by the destroyer. 11 These things happened to them to serve as an example, and they were written down to instruct us, on whom the ends of the ages have come. 12 So if you think you are standing, watch out that you do not fall.

2 Corinthians 11: 3 But I am afraid that as the serpent deceived Eve by its cunning, your thoughts will be led astray from a sincere and pure devotion to Christ. 4 For if someone comes and proclaims another Jesus than the one we proclaimed, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received, or a different gospel from the one you accepted, you submit to it readily enough.

1 Corinthians 10:22 Or are we provoking the Lord to jealousy? Are we stronger than he?

1 Corinthians 6:12 “All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are beneficial. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be dominated by anything.

I also think that this might not be proof of safety or goodness in participating in stretches that imitate pagan rituals to Hindu Gods. That probably means “God is merciful.” Or “Praise God for the gift of Sanctifying Grace!” more than it means that pagan rituals designed to invite other spirits into our souls are just fine because many people go unaffected.

There are more stretches designed for stretching than there are stretches designed as a religious experience of Hindu deities. If it is really for the excercise, then why not JUST exercise, just stretch? Most people I know that do Yoga do it just for the exercise—they really have good motives and sincere hearts. Some don’t know the truth, and so cannot discern: they are PHYSICAL PRAYERS to IDOLS! They still are even without incantations. Knowledge of this changes everything.

Two people I know do it because they are Hindu and they worship Hindu deities. I asked one of them about it. She said it doesn’t matter what your intent is, the gods are pleased when more people do it.

I don’t know what her source is or if that is a Hindu belief, but it creeps me out just thinking of it. And is why I weighed in on this subject. No one likes to hear it, because they are good and well meaning and unsuspecting. But wouldn’t you want to KNOW??

I would think that his youth and susceptibility to such fantasy/reality played a part in it. Exorcisms are often well known, as the behavior of one possessed is public. Here are a couple of articles for the doubters:

I said his words should be considered. There is evil in the world, to be sure, most of which is not occult. The Gospel of this Sunday tells us the greatest danger that evil can present. The goats were thrown into Hell, not for yoga, but for ignoring the stranger, the hungry, etc. That is not dismissal, but neither am I elevating his opinion to the level of Church teaching.

I have been on here since the first month. This sort of ad hominem has always been contrary to the rules and common charity.

No confidential information was exposed. He merely confirmed that there was a boy who became possessed as a result of reading the series.

There’s just as much sensitive information in that statement as there is in saying someone was diagnosed with lung cancer as a result of smoking.

Compartmentalizing! So, is that the only way to get to hell?

Are we still blowing this off, for the sake of modern, oh-so-trendy activity? The old “After all, nothing bad has happened yet!” I know of no case in which a possession occurred “as expected”

I can’t believe that so many Catholics are blowing off the risk! Please take note of the words I use. Risk. Have we become so fat, dumb and happy that nothing bothers us? Nothing applies to us? There is no evil if it hasn’t happened to us personally?

The Sunday readings from Ezekiel 34 also mentioned that the Lord would destroy the sleek and strong.

What a foolish and short-sighted culture we have.

Perhaps there is a need to define the term. Yoga practice as religious yoga may be what the priest is referring to, not simply stretching in a predefined form.

Hallelujah! Some common sense! Thank you, pnewton.

Matthew 24: 24 For false messiahs[f] and false prophets will appear and produce great signs and omens, to lead astray, if possible, even the elect.

Parallelism does not indicate sameness. One is a prayer form to a specific Hindu deity. One is lying flat on your back on the floor. I am also breathing right now. They also do that in Yoga. But the fact that we need to breathe and may lay on the floor in our lives does not exonerate Yoga from what it is.

I used the word “greatest”, which is superlative adjective. Therefore, there are other ways.

Again, I said his words should be considered. Three times now I have said it.

You mention that yoga is a risk. In the sense that a risk is something that might be true, you must be correct. If you mean you know it to be dangerous based on what this priest said, then again I will say that we need to separate theological opinion from doctrine.

A great verse. I have even seen this applied to all sorts of things, including two popes, in my life. If you mean it to apply here, it is the first time I have seen it applied to yoga.

Kundalini is a form of yogic practice and yes, that should be avoided. It’s much different from other forms like hatha. I’ve done it.

Matthew 6:24 No one can serve two masters: Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.

1 Kings 18:21 Elijah then came near to all the people, and said, “How long will you go limping with two different opinions? If the Lord is God, follow him; but if Baal, then follow him.” The people did not answer him a word.

Definition of proof text

: a Scriptural passage adduced as proof for a theological doctrine, belief, or principle

Proof texting is the method by which a person appeals to a biblical text to prove or justify a theological position without regard for the context of the passage they are citing.

Straw man fallacies:
No one is worshipping Baal
No one is worshipping yoga
No one is proposing another god.
There has been no suggestion that we not for the Lord God.

Francis, what would happen if I put my St. Benedict’s medal on a Satanist?

Sure Catholicism is Christianity,sorry if i misrepresented.
October 15, 1989

[PDF] The Holy See

… “You can take a thousand courses in catechesis, a thousand courses in
spirituality, a thousand courses in yoga, Zen and all these things. But all of … - 14k - 2015-01-09 - Versione testo
[PDF] La Santa Sede

Well, St,Benedict’s Medal is a sacramental, (Hope its blessed by a Valid Priest) satan or evil spirits will definitely show signs of displeasure and resistance.but you must understand ,They are diabolical evil spirit in thousands as in Mk 5:1-20 Mk 5:8 For he had said to him, “Come out of the man, you unclean spirit!” 9 Then Jesus asked him,; “What is your name?” He replied, “My name is Legion for we are many.” one Legion is 6,000 evil spirits.So deliverance will not take place with one medal evil spirits will show resistance .it has to be done by a holy and pious priest or a team of them, approved by the catholic Bishop.
you have to be holy eg like St Padre Pio he can do it .it depend on the will of God.God Bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit