Vatican's commission completes investigation on Medjugorje, submits report [CC]

A special Vatican investigative commission has concluded its study of the reported Marian apparitions at Medjugorje, and supported its findings to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the …

More…

MODERATOR NOTE: You may discuss the news, but you may not promote the apparition as that would violate forum rules since Medjugorje has not been approved by the Church.

So, it is disobedience to promote these apparitions in the meantime. Oh!

It is against forum rules to promote any unapproved apparition. This is news though, and you are free to discuss the news just don’t promote the apparition. If you have any questions, send me a PM.

So…help me out here…they decided, but they aren’t sharing their ruling? Is that right?

Not sure what there is to discuss since no finding has been released to the public. It’s good that they have completed their investigation. I guess that is all that can really be said about it.

They are the investigators, not the deciders. They have completed their investigation and submitted their findings to the CDF. The CDF will make the ruling, which also needs the Pope’s approval.

1 Like

We will be notified of their findings in due time, right now any conclusions would just be speculation.

I hope all are willing to accept the Vatician’s decision on it. Prayers for all of us. God Bless, Memaw

Interesting to note that according to the article, the commission seems to be looking at the original visions and the ongoing ones separately. It’s possible that there will be a determination on one but not the other at this time.

Haven’t there been previous investigations, or was that just at the diocesan level?

I would expect a pooch-kick of some sort – yes, there were fruits, no, we can’t prove they were authentic apparitions, or disprove them. Without the commission knowing the “secrets”, I would think it virtually impossible to discern in favor of the apparitions and against the local bishops.

Whatever the outcome, I pray for unity in the Church.

Do their findings include a recommendation, or is it strictly evidence summary?

Yes, that was just at the diocesan level.

I’m not an expert but I think it would depend on the evidence. IF there were evidence of something sketchy going on, the presentation of that evidence would be a recommendation in itself. However, it looks like the real recommendation will come from the CDF. The commission was formed to investigate and IMHO, it should just submit findings and let the CDF take it from there.

I think the message so far is the same as in 1991 when the whole incident was said not to be credible. The document last OCT 2013, repeated the message ,but said the investigation was ongoing. It absolutely wants to make the point The Church does not support anything which advances the unconfirmed visions. As the norm the Church is ultra conservative in it’s opinion and I for one support their thorough investigation.

What are the Church’s thoughts on Parishs preparing a trip for some of it’s members to go to Medjugorje , I have to assume for veneration…or perhaps idle curiosity ?

So many thousands, perhaps millions over time, will want to go to the site for any number of reasons. I suppose what confuses me is that a much larger event is in place in every Catholic parish, and that is the Lord’s Real Presence in the Eucharist. People who go to adoration are adoring and praying to our Risen Lord present in those churches.

What confuses me–and I have a great love for Our Lady–is why so many Catholics will spend so much time, and treasure, going to various apparition sites, yet the undeniably Real Presence is within a short distance from their own homes.

It is, without doubt, an amazing miracle that Jesus comes to us in the Eucharist across the globe. The miracle is much larger than the feeding of the 5,000 (which prefigured the Eucharist), and it happens during every Mass, and exists in most Tabernacles. It is an amazing fact that the Lord is with us in such a Real and directly viewable way.

Just today I went to adoration–it never ceases to amaze me that I am adoring Jesus Christ and that He is truly there to see me, to here me–what a gift.

No matter the outcome of the investigation, and no matter the reality of Our Lady’s approved apparitions, I think the world, the faith, and the Church, will change enormously when Catholics begin to realize they have all they need in their own backyard. After all, approved apparitions always have at their core the mission of bringing people to Mary’s Son through repentance and prayer.

AMEN, AMEN and AMEN!!! Couldn’t be said any better, God Bless, Memaw

Thank you. :slight_smile:

The Eucharist–a priceless gift. :slight_smile:

One can experience the real presense of Jesus in the Eucharist at st James in medjugorje as well.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.