Vegetarian coming to the 4th of July BBQ!

I have a vegetarian coming to our 4th of July BBQ, and all I know about her is that she loves cheese. :o What would you serve and still keep an American theme? Maybe some tofu dogs or something like that?

Grilled cheese sandwiches?

Salad?

Fruit?

I wouldn’t change my menu but I would call this person, tell them what’s being planned and ask them if there’s something they would like me to include for them.

How about veggie burgers? I like the Morningstar Farms Spicy Black Bean burgers, or the Trader Joe’s Vegetable Masala patties (so does DH and neither of us are vegetarians, these are really tasty). You can grill them like you would regular burgers or hot dogs.

I would uninvite this person and instead invite a hearty meat eater like myself! Hey, I’m available! Just kidding. :slight_smile:

Great idea.

I once took special pains to accommodate a “vegetarian” who was coming to my German sausage-and-kraut dinner, but whe she arrived she completely ignored the veggie stuff and gobbled up the sausages like mad. ???

There are plenty of vegetarian “meat like things” out there. Like plenty of different types of veggie burgers or veggie dogs, or you can make salad, or potato salad, I mean even if there wasn’t a vegetarian coming, you wouldn’t serve only meat would you? with nothing on the side? I’m sure you can find plenty that she would eat. You don’t have to change your menu on everyone else.

They’re supposed to be bringing something themselves too. I just want to have something on the menu that takes into account her preferences, just to be considerate and welcoming. I’m mostly interested in something that’s “American” though.

We’re doing ribs, chicken, & sausage. I’ve planned on making coleslaw, potato salad, and a fresh green salad. I’m thinking something with beans in it would be good, like maybe three bean salad, or Texas caviar. But that’s a whole lot of salads, so I’d like to think up something as a vegetarian entree.

Agreed!

When you take meet off of a menu there are still about 40000000000000000000000 zillion other things to eat. Especially if she eats cheese and eggs. Veggies and fruit can go on the grill, be marinated and served with any number of grain dishes as a side. You can marinate and grill portabella mushrooms and make a ‘burger’ out of them with cheese, and all the toppings. Really good homemade baked beans are a meal in themselves, delicious, and very nutritious, and very typical American bbq fare. Cheese stuffed grilled pablanos are yummy. Stuffed baked potatoes.

Try this site for more good ideas.

You could have some great veggie platters with dip, and also some firm tofu grills very nice, too. I am not a vegetarian, but I am not a big red meat eater anymore. I would also grill zucchini, eggplant, peppers, tomatoes…and have some wheat buns with chipolte spread, to make it like a grilled veggie sandwich. That would work! I might do that, come to think of it.:slight_smile:

Okay this thread is making my mouth water. I don’t eat a lot of red meat, so all these ideas sound so yummy!!!

Vegetarian bean chili.

I love the grilled fruit idea, thanks! Pineapple is great on the grill, and it looks so festive.

Do you make your own chipotle spread? I have a can of chipotle peppers I can do something with. The guys love hot stuff.

I’m actually looking forward to having a vegetarian coming, since my usual gang is not very interested in anything that’s not meat, beans, or potatoes. I was vegetarian through my twenties, but I wasn’t much of a cook then.

:rotfl:

I would not alter your menu by purchasing something you normally would not - like veggie burgers. Sounds like you have several other things on the menu that will accommodate your guest. And adding salads and veggie trays/cheese trays are perfect - a nice and thoughtful touch.
Your guest is also bringing something and I am betting it is something they can eat.

I do not eat meat because I do not like the taste. When I go to a BBQ I know enough to eat ahead of time or bring something I like. All works well.

A vegetarian probably runs into this often and will be prepared.

I think I’ve figured this out now. I’m making baba ganoush with whole wheat pita as an appetizer, along with a cheese and olive tray. Ribs, chicken and skewered shrimp (I used to eat shrimp occasionally when I was a vegetarian), with “Ranch Style Beans” (not vegetarian because they contain beef fat), potato salad, three bean salad, and fresh green salad, and grilled pineapple. Along with the dish they’re bringing, I’m sure that’s a well rounded selection for everyone.

So now, I’m off to the market! :thumbsup:

Yummy! I have been a vegetarian for 18 years and I LOVE the Morningstar black bean burgers! Never had the Masala Patties, but they sound great.

From a vegetarian’s view: I am often the lone veggie in the group, and I never expect whoever’s hosting the event to make something special for me. I realize that most people choose to eat meat, so that is what the main dish will probably be. Usually I only eat the side items that are vegetarian. I think that you are going above and beyond to have Boca burgers or Morningstar burgers! I know that as a vegetarian, I always express my gratitude for hosts who go to those lengths to provide a veggie main dish.

Good luck with your bbq!

Sounds wonderful! I am a vegetarian and NEVER expect people to go out of their way for me, but I do find it so thoughtful when people do. I wouldn’t bother with the veggie burgers, as the person might not care for the brand you buy. Veggies are so healthy anyway, maybe grilling some for a sandwich might inspire some of the meat eaters to eat some as well.
You can’t go wrong with dessert, I never met a dessert I didn’t like.

As suggested above, grill some veggies - olive oil and a hit of herbs/spices and I’d be willing to bet lots of people will eat them.

Don’t foget to toss some thick sliced yellow onions on the grill - yummmmmm.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.