veil and mantilla use

Hi everyone!
I have a question about using a chapel veil/mantilla: I know that the idea is to veil in the presence of the Lord in the Blessed Sacrament, so when I enter a church, I put on a mantilla. However, what about churches where the Tabernacle is in a side chapel, especially when there is a closed door between the tabernacle and the church? (Note: I’m not trying to start a debate about the appropriateness of such chapels. My question is how should I show my respect for the Eucharist in these churches)
Should I only put a head-covering on if I enter the chapel?
What about at Mass? Only right before the consecration?
Another related note: What about when Mass is celebrated some place where the Blessed Sacrament is not reserved? When should a person use a headcovering then?

I’m especially interested in what other ladies who use headcoverings do. (I’m relatively new to this practice, and I haven’t found any thoughts on these paticular problems:rolleyes:)

i didnt used to cover, only at EF mass. but now i love it enjoy being veiled and cover whenever i enter the church. im 25 btw. i cover every time i go in the church except at NO services where it would make me stand out to be the only veiled lady. but in those circumtances a hat is ok.

my advice to you is pray on this and go with your heart. i am young and never imagined i woudl feel the urge to be veiled in front of the Lord, since no-one i know does, only the pious old ladys in the front row of EF mass. but surely the Lord will give you the right answer.

Philomena, many years ago I belonged to a parish and had the same dilemma. I still wore my mantilla. If you want to be technical, I suppose you don’t have to, but I did because, even though I couldn’t see Our Lord, I knew He was still there in a side room and He could see me. Plus, after the Consecration of the Mass, He is there anyway.

Serious question about the veils and mantillas.

Why the restricted use of pure white or black veils made from furniture dollie material?

There is no restriction. :shrug: I don’t know where these rumors come from. And mantillas by definition are lace (like dollies), but one could always where a different type of “veil” or cover.

Even a simple hat is an appropriate headcovering. Don’t feel the need to use the lacy ones if you aren’t a “lacy” kind of person. There are plenty of lovely headcoverings out there to choose from.

Hi! I used to wear a viel but I felt like I annoyed my Priest and every one else. I didn’t have the courage to do what I knew was right, so I stopped for 2 years. There was this 80+ yr old woman who wore hers, just lately, I talked to her and she explained how she came to and how much it ment to her. It was so lovely. I watched her for a couple of months and I knew I could not deny what I KNEW, so I went to a different church with out my family and I just wore my first veil again yesterday and I felt so in Love with God! I was better able to focus - looking straight ahead. I was uplifted - I was still the only one in 100, but it was RIGHT (for me) and I know I was wrong to give in to “peer pressure” before and won’t do again. When I pray and then Listen, I cannot fail my Lord and my conscience. It is beautifully important for me to veil, in any church! I wear mine from my car into the gathering space and in to the church, I know it makes people uncomfortable but I know it is Right for Me and God. God Bless!

Welcome to head covering! Full head coverer here (tichels mostly, but I have been known to sport cleverly-wrapped pashminas). I’m discerning full-time coverage, and am right now leaning in that direction; all that’s stopping me is working out some professional logistics.

Anywhooo… I’ve spent about a year researching/questioning/discerning Catholic, Christian, and religious hair coverage in general, I’ve never come across the question. So, frankly, I don’t know.

What I do know, however, is that there are just about as many opinions about hair coverage as there are Catholics alive today, and you’ll find just about all of them vociferously expressed on these threads.

Having said that, this is my head covering manifesto:

1. I cover because I was led to. It’s between me and God when, where, and how I cover.
  2. I cover whenever I’m in a house of God, be it a chapel, church, or whatever, whenever.
  3. I cover during any religious service (NO masses, TLM, Vespers, Adoration, etc., etc.,).
  4. I cover during prayer, be it at church or in my home.
  5. I’m coming to the conclusion that I need to cover whenever I’m in the presence of God, which is why I’m leaning toward full-time coverage.
  6. If someone finds my head cover a “distraction,” then they really need to work on their concentration skills.
  7. I could give 2 cents when, how, or if another woman chooses to cover her hair. That’s between her and God.

My best advice to you is no matter when, where, and how you decide it is appropriate for you to veil, once you have that sucker on, keep it on :rotfl: . If you decide to put it on right before the consecration, you’re going to be spending the most important of the mass futzing with a piece of cloth. My opinion only, but if you’re going to veil, wear it into the sacred space and keep it on until you leave it.

2 Likes

I went to Sam Moon here in Dallas, and they had a TON of different scarf options. I got a long rectangular brown lace and a long black lace scarf. I’m loving them - they seem to stay on my head WAY better than the other more traditional mantillas I have do, and when I’m done with Mass, I just slip it off my head and have a gorgeous scarf!

All of the scarves there are from $2-$11 - my scarves were only $8, but they also had sheer scarves, solid lightweight scarves, and patterned scarves. They were quite lovely. I’m thinking I may head back and grab a few to put in the “borrow” head covering bucket at church.

I went to Chrism mass at the cathedral here on Tuesday, and was amazed at how many women were wearing scarves and mantillas and all different types of head covering. It was wonderful!

I love wearing a veil at TLM, but can’t help but be sorry that the old ladies at my parish freak out if you wear one to a NO mass. Our new priest freaked when I wore a full Eastern European veil instead of a lacey mantillia once. The body language of others is what makes me so uncomfortable about wearting a head covering outside of when it is socially acceptable by everyone to do so. It obviously is offensive and a distraction to others outside of TLM in my parish and diocese. Sad for the women, priests and people who think that, but thank God I can get away with it in TLM. It is so very nice to meditate with the assistance of a veil. And I love seeing the different veil fashions!

I put mine on (with pins on top through the veil) before I leave the house. Then, after mass in the car I gently remove the veil. It’s easier and more comfortable to have the veil on before leaving the house to ensure that is looks right and will not fall off.

Sometimes, when I have a light shawl with me in the adoration chapel, I don’t mind just covering my head for extra meditation help. I find the adoration chapel one of the most accepting places for covering my head.

To the best of my knowledge, the lace mantillas are borrow from Spanish culture. They’re a holdover from Moorish culture. It’s my understanding Jackie O popularized them amongst American Catholics.

Which color to wear probably on which culture you’re referring to and when. There was a time that white mantillas (kind of what we think of as bridal veils) were reserved for royalty. In fact, there are a couple of women in European royal houses who have a special exemption to wear a white veil when in audience with a pope. The hoi polloi wear black :rotfl: . And at certain times and cultures, black veils were exclusively for mourning periods.

Today veils aren’t restricted to black and white, nor are they necessarily made from Battenburg lace that looks like it belongs on back of grandma’s armchair. When we, very briefly, went the veil route with our daughters, one of them had a pink chiffon chapel cap and the other rocked out an iridescent purple-and-white veil. Not the look I would have gone for, but then I’m not six.:stuck_out_tongue:

I wore a veil during my brief time in a Baptist church and I intend to continue in the Catholic church.

I have to confess I’ve not yet been to a Catholic service. I am waiting until after Easter to go talk to a Priest about RCIA.

I DID feel kind of self conscious veiling. Still we should follow our consciences so long as it is line with church teaching.

Welcome Asd72 to the Catholic Church. :thumbsup:

woah i totally dont understant it??? i think they look stupid! i prefer to wear a normal thin winter scarf or black pashmina, islamic style. the lace hardly protects your modesty and looks ridiculous. also i used to think unmarried woman wore white and married or widowd - black. but i prefer black.

I knew veiling was right before I started doing it. I didn’t have the courage to do it when I was at the NO, there was one girl my age who did it (she is becoming a nun now), and one time another girl borrowed one from her and did it too and we were talking about it afterwards.

After I started going to the TLM, most women veil and so I felt awkward not doing it. I bought a veil (medium length “mantilla”-style) and so I wear it to Mass and at more formal private prayers (like the Office, not when I’m saying the Rosary on a walk or the bus or something because I would stand out a lot). I haven’t been back to the NO since but if I did, I would probably now have the courage to wear the veil regardless of what other people think.

I always wear a veil to mass I have several in neutral colors and the people who have a problem with it well i do not focus on them I focus on the one that i am wearing it for and that is Jesus in the Holy Eucharist

That’s fine, that’s your preference, but some ladies like lace and like the look of the mantilla. Done right, I like it, but I think it is easy to do wrong. The mantilla is from Spain, and there was no restriction of black and white for single or widowed/married. In fact in traditionally in Spain the Queen wears white. So some communities in the US might of had such assumptions but it is not the understanding of where the practice originated.

I didn’t think there was any restrictions because I have them in navy cream white black pale pink and light blue and i wear the color that cordinates with what i am wearing however during lent I always wear a black one and i have never been married

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.