Veiling challenge

I’ve not been called to cover my head, and I guarantee, you’ll never find a person more vain than I am, especially about her hair. Mine is very long, dark, thick, and lustrous. Always has been. I hope God doesn’t have something terrible in store to take me down a peg or two.

I like to feel solidarity with the history and tradition of the Church - to me it is like going barefoot up to kiss the cross on Good Friday. Exact same thing. I am a living part of the tradition, Scripture, Church, early Church, I just love that. It also signifies "He must increase, but I must decrease.” That would be the one quote I would use for it, why I do it. Doesn’t have a darn thing to do with anyone else but God. And that is the beauty of it. Anything anyone else assumes about it is their own ax to grind. Take it up with God, not me, make your own peace with it.

LOL! Better hope He doesn’t specifically ask for veils! That’s when things get really tough.

My hat, however, gets people constantly commenting on my bad hair days so it’s like a double humbling. LOL. And I’m too chicken to tell them it’s a devotional hat so I just let them think I’m lazy.

That hat is cute and doesn’t scream for attention at all.

Seems it’s working for you! :slight_smile:

By your own admission, your statement is based on your personal experience. This does not warrant your statement at all that “Women did it because the law said you did, and it was expected.” You did not say some women, or a few, or women I know, but you just said “women”. That is a over generalization. Your personal experience does not speak for the whole of women at that time in this country. Furthermore, you base your statement on a small fraction of time, to a specific region, and pay no relevance to the history of the tradition for over two millennia. I kindly ask for you to stop speaking for all women, and inserting your small limited experience as the de facto sentiment for all women in this country and in past history.

Um, if you had read through the thread, you would see that there are others, presumably from other locales, that seem to have the same experiences.

That’s what I think of. Believe it or not, I actually had one. We had a family friend, a priest from Italy, who gave me one. I actually wore it to mass a few times, but I felt so self-conscious, I stopped. I didn’t like having it on my hair, either. I’m not a very pious person.

RIP Father Mario. You were a wonderful priest and family friend. We miss you.

And if you read through the thread, you would see there others who did not experience what you did, but the opposite. Again, you are basing your generalization on your personal experience (and I would add bias) alone, and that is disingenuous.

I’m too vain to let anyone think I have a bad hair day! (I don’t have them! Not yet!)

This poor Anglican woman…what a minority she must be!

I think a good High Church Anglican could give any CAF traditionalist a good run for his or her money!

Oh, veils always get everyone all fired up, pro and con. That little piece of lace turns neighbor against neighbor and brings out the worst in us.

Nice article. Thanks for sharing it.

If people stopped with the romantic notions about it being a “spiritual practice” I think I could even accept it without problems. I really don’t care who covers their head or who doesn’t. I don’t hate the head coverings, I hate the romanticization of them.

Thank you for enlightening me.

How is something that someone considers “spiritual” romanticizing it? And does this mean that every women who considers it a “spiritual” thing is romanticizing it? Are you referring only to some? And what exactly is wrong with ‘romanticizing’ a spiritual act? As far as I know, women who cover themselves are not forcing other women to do so also. I see that the greater offense comes by people who just don’t like how certain women choose to act devout. That is not a matter of difference in opinion, but borders animosity, or disgust out of spite, or resentment of some kind.

If “God” is calling her to adopt standout non US customs in her private capacity thats fine.

But then if “God” is also calling the PP to see otherwise in his rightful management of public roles then why is that not fine?

Because we’re talking about a mere veil on a woman’s head at a church service. Of all the things that can cause an offense, disputation and the priest to demand the person to desist from such an act in the house of God, this is it?

The question is for the OP

Nevertheless, the parish priest still has the authority to require certain standards for those that participate in liturgical ministries.

We may disagree with his rationale but we must acknowledge his authority.

If the priest told me I must wear long skirts to be a lector then I will wear long skirts.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.