Veiling challenge

I would, however, seriously object to wearing a long skirt to be a lector and would probably have to turn down the role.

Unless it was a kilt.

I’m a guy :smiley:

Just thought I’d inject some levity into a thread that is getting far too serious…

I agree. Uniformity and rules are greatly important. But as I’ve said in other posts above, to some women, covering their head is not a mere clothing choice, but something they feel intimately about.

If the OP is still reading this thread, I would love to know what finally was decided upon, and the outcome of it, if it’s not too much to ask. Regardless, I pray that all parties involve show love, grace and ask for discernment in this matter.

The church I go to has a 26-page book of rules. Even what doors we can use and when. No one objects. Of course, I do go to the MC.

I would, however, seriously object to wearing a long skirt to be a lector and would probably have to turn down the role.
Unless it was a kilt.
I’m a guy :smiley:

Haha :smiley:

I like seeing guys In kilts.

Oh, this creates a furor every time.

I’m fairly new on here, but I can see that now. Lol :sweat_smile:

Only if you’re Scottish! LOL Joking

Don’t the Irish also wear kilts?

In the Pacific Islands and maritime Southeast Asia, men wear kilt like clothing too.

Lavalava may be the word you are looking for

Right, well said. And I agree it is entirely acceptable to consider it a spiritual practice and a custom from Scripture and the early Church. Not unlike fasting for example.

The problem I see is that for the women I know who wear a head covering, they see it as a pious devotion - similar to let’s say wearing a brown scapular. If the priest asked her to take off her brown scapular because the strings were visible and he didn’t want all parishioners thinking that they had to wear brown scapulars, I think her feeling would be similar. I feel sorry for her. I have never worn a head covering, but if my priest asked me to remove my scapular I would have a serious internal struggle. My whole point is that this is not a triviality to her and she therefore has my compassion. OP, phoage, I wrote you and your wife down in my prayer book.

I did not read all the responses so perhaps she’s already made her decision.

I would say to not wear a veil and to offer it up as a mortification to the Lord in reparation for the sins against the Blessed Sacrament, and to ask for holy priests. This can be her offering when we say in the mass … May my sacrifice and yours be acceptable to God…

Personally, wearing a hat does not proclaim the mystery of our faith in the Eucharist like a veil does. I am sorry for the heart ache this must be causing both of you.

I think your key word here is personally.

This is why some of us are disturbed. We cannot understand how one kind of head-covering should be superior to another from a spiritual point of view, so long as the head covering is not morally objectionable.

Obviously women will have personal preferences but you seem to be saying that the object is more important than the act.

Does liking a good single-malt count? :wink:

I like Irish whiskey as well :slight_smile:

Doesn’t everyone have some Irish blood in him/her?

I wonder response would be if the priest insisted that all female EMHCs, lectors, members of the choir etc wore veils? Would that be acceptable?

Would those who insist that the priest’s wishes be adhered to still reccomend compliance?

Its the priests call, ministries are privileged roles.
If he makes poor judgements he may have to perform those roles himself.

I dont think non veil wearing female helpers will be hard to find.

It wouldn’t strike me as being very inculsive though. It could create a division between parishioners. More traditionally-minded parishioners may feel that they are no longer welcome in the parish.

If the priest insist we wear veils than we will wear veils.

I sometimes wear headcovering but not veils. Veils are headcovering but not all headcovering are veils. Veils are often worn by those of Spanish/Latino background. This wearing of veils is a practice of a specific subculture and is by no means universal among Catholic women around the world.

So your scenario about a priest asking us to dress like Hispanic women who go to mass may be a bit far fetched.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.