Veiling challenge

We note that a few women in the home parish wear either a veil or hats at Mass. A welcome contrast to those arriving in shorts, leggings, shoulderless tops, exposed tattoos, and even big honking boots.

I am known to arrive in a veil AND big honking boots.:laughing:

…but this is Texas.

I had (another) great idea! Maybe women called to cover their heads should wear baseball caps. So no one can accuse them of showing off their beauty, etc. We could never be sure who to disapprove of at Mass, those showy ladies who modestly wear baseball caps, or ths informal ladies who wear baseball caps. Any or all of whom might be having a bad hair day!

I veil but as a reader I found the veil pulled my eyes away from the book. I knew for myself I could not be in the presence of our Lord without a head covering. I solved this by getting a small chapel veil (it looks like a small doily). We older Catholics remember those right?

Yes, a chapel cap.

why are men not required to cover the hair? if it’s to show honor to Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament, then isn’t that regardless of gender?

(i wouldn’t mind wearing a hoodie thing like the monks, but not in this heat spell!)

I am not sure but I was told once that a man wearing something on his head in the presence of God is a sign of pride. Perhaps that is why men used to always take their hats off before praying.

Yes, and just so women don’t show any sign of beauty, we could say no jewelry, no fingernail polish, super plain clothes, plain baseball cap, no beauty at all. Try to come in looking your worst, so you can’t be accused of being prideful.

:slightly_smiling_face: sarcasm - sorry

Jewish men, our elders in revelation, do the opposite they cover their heads in the synagogue with a yarmulke.

My understanding is that this practice emerged as a response to Christian practice and did not exist prior. I am open to learning more about it, though.

No—it was always true for Jewish men.

Aren’t devout Jews always wearing a yarmulke?

The churches are usually air conditioned! :rofl:

Optimally, the yarmulke should be worn at all waking hours when one is not under water. This is the widely-accepted practice, which has a strength comparable to laws actually legislated by the rabbis. However, since it is technically an act of piety rather than a full-blown obligation, one may employ certain leniencies when called for. Just remember that the yarmulke is intended as an important reminder of God’s Presence above us. Every year, hundreds of Jewish students bravely wear their yarmulkes to public schools. Over the decades, many have fought to earn us the right to wear our yarmulkes in court rooms, in the military, and in other places where personal headwear choices are normally not permitted. Therefore, we should not be quick to treat the practice lightly by overlooking it unnecessarily.

Thanks for the link.

The Chapel Veil by Requiem Press is a nice little booklet by 2 young ladies on why they wear the veil in church. It’s short and easy to read. I highly recommend it for everyone on this thread. (Yes, I have it.)

Monks are frugal, and at the abbey church at Mass today it was very warm in the 30C heat. They keep the A/C at a minimum to save on costs.

That said, the monks never wear their hoods at Mass. Being men, they attend Mass with heads uncovered. The same at the Divine Office. For a monk the hood up in the monastery is a sort of do-not-disturb sign.

Some do. There is a sizeable Orthodox Jewish community in my area and many men and older boys wear them everywhere. I do not know any personally. The Jewish people I know are Conservative or Reform and only wear them at the synagogue.

JulianN, do you have any resources on the history of the yarmulke? My source is a very well educated friend, so I trust his assertion, but I will also ask him again the next time I see him.

Is there a spiritual significance to the tonsure? It’s so confusing how hair means different things for men/women.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.