Veils on, Hats off!

I was wondering something recently because it started to bother me.
St. Paul mentioned that women should cover their heads, and men should not.
In the military, I was taught that as soon as you entered a building that you removed you cover (headgear) Unless you are armed or performing a detail.
I wish more women would cover their heads (with veils, not hats)…partially for reasons of humility, but also because it is a courtesy to men (who become easily distracted.
On the other hand though, it bothers me that a man would wear any sort of headgear into the church/place of worship (or if outside, than as soon as the entrance starts. I usually don’t see many offenders on this…however, I don’t seem to care for biships wearing any sort of headgear once inside. Is there a reason this started and is ther a certain time they must remove thier headgear?
maybe I sound crazy, but it looks sloppy to me when I see this.

The only time I’ve ever seen my Bishop keep on his “head gear” aka Mitre, is as he proceeds in for Mass. As soon as he reaches the Sanctuary he removes it. After the Final Blessing and Just before the Procession out, he will place it back on his head.

New Advent says this

The bishop must wear the mitra pretiosa on those days on which the hymn Te Deum is used in the Office, the mitre auriphrygiata in the seasons of Advent and Lent, on fast days and during penitential processions, the mitra simplex on Good Fridays, at funerals, and at the blessing of the candles on Candlemas-day. When bishops attend a general council, or are present at solemn pontifical acts of the pope, they wear a plain linen mitre, while the cardinals on occasions wear a simple mitre of silk damask. The right to wear the mitre belongs by law only to the pope, the cardinals, and the bishops.

The mitre is distinguished from the other episcopal vestments in that it is always laid aside when the bishop prays; for example, at the orationes of the Mass, of the Office, in conferring Holy Orders, at the Canon of the Mass, etc. The reason for this is to be found in the commandment of the Apostle that a man should pray with uncovered head (I Cor., xi, 4).

This link might help: newadvent.org/cathen/10404a.htm

There are specific times in which a bishop takes of his mitre. When the bishop prays in mass and during the Liturgy of the Eucharist he does not wear the mitre. There might be other times that I’m leaving out. For more information check out this website

newadvent.org/cathen/10404a.htm

matt

Oh, I have never been to a Mass other than my confirmation where there was a bishop there…and a barely remember it…
However, I have seen pictures of them wearing their headgear during ordinations and other things that I still don’t care for.
I kinda wish they’d change that rule…it looks arrogant to me and Jesus and the apostles didn’t have them :slight_smile:

[quote=Primitive]I wish more women would cover their heads (with veils, not hats)…partially for reasons of humility, but also because it is a courtesy to men (who become easily distracted.
[/quote]

Easily distracted… by unveiled hair?

The church no longer requires this. And I think the reason why, is that the justification for it never made any sense at all.

[quote=rcn]Easily distracted… by unveiled hair?

The church no longer requires this. And I think the reason why, is that the justification for it never made any sense at all.
[/quote]

There is justification. Biblically and from the USCCB

usccb.org/nab/bible/1corinthians/1corinthians11.htm

"Any man who prays or prophesies with his head covered brings shame upon his head.

But any woman who prays or prophesies with her head unveiled brings shame upon her head, for it is one and the same thing as if she had had her head shaved.

For if a woman does not have her head veiled, she may as well have her hair cut off. But if it is shameful for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should wear a veil.

A man, on the other hand, should not cover his head, because he is the image and glory of God, but woman is the glory of man.

For man did not come from woman, but woman from man;

nor was man created for woman, but woman for man;

for this reason a woman should have a sign of authority on her head, because of the angels.

Woman is not independent of man or man of woman in the Lord.

For just as woman came from man, so man is born of woman; but all things are from God.

Judge for yourselves: is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head unveiled?

Does not nature itself teach you that if a man wears his hair long it is a disgrace to him,

whereas if a woman has long hair it is her glory, because long hair has been given (her) for a covering?"

Not very PC!
The Vatican and Bishops have decided that a head covering is optional, but to say that it made no sense at all, is not quite right.
I still cover my head to honor my husband. I pray he converts.

RCN,

Please provide your documentation for this statement.

Since this law was never abrogated, I think you’ll find that is still inefect today.

Pax

With us, primitive catholics, we recommend women cover their head out of respect, however, we don’t demand it as it is not an article of faith that is necessary for salvation.

I have a question…aren’t veils slightly distracting in most settings? It seems that those women who wear veils actually attract more attention to their being than those who don’t. I am not totally against veils, I just don’t understand why it is more respectful for women to cover their heads and it is sloppy for men to do so.

Can some one explain it for me?..other than the one Bible passage already given. I am looking for a little more explaination, if possible. :slight_smile: God bless!

[quote=aspergesme]Please provide your documentation for this statement.
Since this law was never abrogated, I think you’ll find that is still inefect today.
[/quote]

I don’t need to provide any documentation to anyone. The head covering requirement was not included in the newest Code of Canon Law, therefore the requirement no longer exists.

Here’s an old thread on the subject.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=8791:

[/quote]

Ummm…no, easily distracted by beautiful women…
what do you mean it never made any sense?..is men finding women attractive a new problem?..

[quote=rcn]I don’t need to provide any documentation to anyone. The head covering requirement was not included in the newest Code of Canon Law, therefore the requirement no longer exists.
[/quote]

Just because the Catholic church (or any organization) does not require something, doesn’t mean you can exceed the standard.
There is a reason we have saints…they saw what the church wanted, and the excelled at it by doing everything they could to find the way of perfection. A common courtesy is using the veil…not a “requirement” but still, it is very appreciated.
Remember…standards are a minimum…saints are who they are because they cared and had initiative.

[quote=rcn]I don’t need to provide any documentation to anyone. The head covering requirement was not included in the newest Code of Canon Law, therefore the requirement no longer exists.
[/quote]

Clothing isn’t a requirement either.

Dear rcn, there is no shortage of biblical support to veiling. A quick search of ‘Catholic headcovering’ will yield thousands more reasons to veil than to not. For most females, today, it’s ‘all about me’ and less about God. There are only selfish reasons not to veil.

I think that years ago, an errant news reporter reported that veils were no longer a requirement, and that mis-information spread like wildfire.

rcn’s response is pretty much the norm, today. There is hostile resentment by most women towards the veil, and even dresses. I don’t fully understand why they hate it so much. I don’t know if they fell repressed by it, or if they just want to be more like a man. There is no doubt about it, female clothing styles are more masculine than ever. It’s just the result of feminism.

Feminism demands that in order to be ‘equal’ to a man, the modern woman needs to dress like a man, act like a man and work like a man. The lines between male and female are blurred, and will eventually disappear. Veiling is to me, as feminine as it gets, but, my friends, feminine is gone the way of buggy whips.

[quote=cargopilot]Clothing isn’t a requirement either.
[/quote]

Now there’s a straw man if I ever saw one.

Dear rcn, there is no shortage of biblical support to veiling.

We are not to make our own private interpretation of scripture. Otherwise, we are no better than the thousands of Protestant sects. The Church no longer requires it. That is the Church’s interpretation of the matter. End of story.

Now, while it is indeed true that one may wear a veil (and, many would argue, draw attention to one’s self much more so than that evil “exposed hair” ever would), the endless rants about how not veiling equates to being “selfish”, “hostile”, “feminist”, etc. will continue to ring terribly hollow.

[/quote]

Dear Lady of Fatima, Dear Lady of Lourdes, you make no sense at all.
Sincerely,
rcn
ps. Dear Catholic Bride,
You make no sense at all!
pps.
To destroy a Religion, you must first sever its traditions
…***all of them

I have no idea what your point is, but you’re trying to forge comments under my name and I demand that you edit or delete your post ASAP.

[quote=rcn] ** I have no idea what your point is**, but you’re trying to forge comments under my name and I demand that you edit or delete your post ASAP.
[/quote]

“(VEIL)…MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL” IS A QUOTE…FROM rcn.
The exact which I included for reference accuracy was:

I just appled your “fact” to particular people who practice what you state makes no sense.
The parties that I mention wear veils. Therefore, they fall under your edict.
The parody stands.
demand denied for cause.

I have no idea what your point is

Right, uh ha.
Of course you’re welcome to tear my logic or illogic apart any time, with my blessing.

This thread has reached uncharitable levels. It is now closed. For more information on veils, please do a search for the threads on the topic.

Remember your charity there as well.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.