Venial sin becoming mortal

If you realize something is a venial sin and you do it anyway does it become a mortal sin?

Wow. I was thinking this same thing today and was going to post it tonight…

In order to commit a mortal sin the act must be grave matter, you must have full knowledge of what you are doing, and you have to deliberately consent to it. All of these conditions must be met in order to commit a mortal sin. You commit a venial sin when one or more of these things is lacking. So even if you knowingly and willfully commit a sin, if it isn't grave matter then it would not be mortal.

However, an ordinarily venial sin can become a mortal sin if: A) you think that the action is mortally wrong and do it anyway. B) if the circumstances of the act make it gravely sinful. C) when the matter of several sins, that aren't gravely sinful, adds up to a serious amount( if you were to slowly steel little amounts of money that in the end added up to a big amount)

Hope this helps!

But what if you say to yourself "it's just a venial sin so I will do it anyway". Like speeding. If you go a few miles an hour over the speed limit and say to yourself well its just a venial sin.

[quote="CatholicMatt46, post:4, topic:327605"]
But what if you say to yourself "it's just a venial sin so I will do it anyway". Like speeding. If you go a few miles an hour over the speed limit and say to yourself well its just a venial sin.

[/quote]

As Johnny31897 said, a small sin like that does not constitute grave matter, thus it cannot be mortal.

Even a very deliberately committed venial sin, of trifling matter is not mortal.

However, that is no excuse to go on sinning just because it's venial. All sins are an increase to our temporal punishment, and venial sins add up.

Johnny gave a complete answer; your question is entirely answered by it. Those three conditions for a mortal sin must be present.

I'm definitely not going to sin just because its venial; my scrupulous nature won't allow that. Thanks!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.