Venial Sins forgiven

I read somewhere or maybe heard it…that when you attend Mass your venial sins are forgiven, is that true?

It’s not attendance at Mass, but the reception of Communion. As the Catechism teaches:

“**1416 **Communion with the Body and Blood of Christ increases the communicant’s union with the Lord, forgives his venial sins, and preserves him from grave sins. Since receiving this sacrament strengthens the bonds of charity between the communicant and Christ, it also reinforces the unity of the Church as the Mystical Body of Christ.”

Actually, the Eucharist is but one of many ways to receive forgiveness for venial sins. Saying an act of contrition, the use of a sacramental, such as praying the Rosary or blessing oneself with holy water, or other acts of sincere repentance repair a relationship with God that has not been broken by mortal sin.

1 Like

While venial sins are forgiven in those ways we are encouraged to Confess them because it is through the sacrament of Confession we receive the graces necessary to fight these sins.

Venial sins are confessed in the penitential rite before consecration (to prepare us for consecration). This is enough. This is to avoid unecessary scrupulousity.

To confess sins too many times is nothing but scrupulousity. Confessing sins makes one aware of his sinfulness so that they can repent, and that’s all.

To confess our faith in God makes us understand that we-- despite our sins-- have HOPE in Jesus. That God’s love is the one to save us, to free us, to restore us, renew us.

God bless.

[quote=francisca]Venial sins are confessed in the penitential rite before consecration (to prepare us for consecration). This is enough. This is to avoid unecessary scrupulousity.

To confess sins too many times is nothing but scrupulousity. Confessing sins makes one aware of his sinfulness so that they can repent, and that’s all.

To confess our faith in God makes us understand that we-- despite our sins-- have HOPE in Jesus. That God’s love is the one to save us, to free us, to restore us, renew us.

God bless.
[/quote]

As is exemplified and re-generated in us in the Sacrament of Reconciliation! Unnecesary scrupulousity? I think not. :frowning:

[quote=francisca]Venial sins are confessed in the penitential rite before consecration (to prepare us for consecration). This is enough. This is to avoid unecessary scrupulousity.

God bless.
[/quote]

Confession of venial sins is by no means being scrupulous, it is a great way to continue to work on the defects in your life, the more I confess them the more I tell myself I don’t want to tell that priest that sin ever again. It reinforces the fact that we always need to work at our defects.

Check out the Ten Commandments for the Scrupulous

by Ligouri. Very good read that lays it out nicely.

Scott

Some tips from me from my own experience in my spiritual life walking with God :

! We shall not condemn ourselves because we fail going to confession : condemnation automaticly comes when we sin. So the sacrament is NOT to condemn anyone, but to bestow grace.

! We shall use confession to acknowledge our sinfulness before the Holy God and to repent from it.

!We shall confess our Faith in God’s Mercy in Jesus Christ MUCH MORE OFTEN than we confess our sins : because God is the only ONE to save us, and the only way to oppose sin’s condemnation is to put our HOPE and TRUST in HIM. And we must know that God does not want to punish us, but those who sins condemns themselves.

May God bless us all

[quote=francisca]Some tips from me from my own experience in my spiritual life walking with God :

! We shall not condemn ourselves because we fail going to confession : condemnation automaticly comes when we sin. So the sacrament is NOT to condemn anyone, but to bestow grace.

! We shall use confession to acknowledge our sinfulness before the Holy God and to repent from it.

!We shall confess our Faith in God’s Mercy in Jesus Christ MUCH MORE OFTEN than we confess our sins : because God is the only ONE to save us, and the only way to oppose sin’s condemnation is to put our HOPE and TRUST in HIM. And we must know that God does not want to punish us, but those who sins condemns themselves.

May God bless us all
[/quote]

Are you kidding me?

IF YOU DO NOT CONFESS YOUR MORTAL SINS AND YOU HAPPEN TO BE DEAD, THEN YOU’RE GOING STRAIGHT TO HELL EVEN IF YOU’RE THE POPE!

So of course if you don’t go to confession after comitting mortal sin you will be damned.

If you don’t confess knowing that you should, then you’re only condemning yourself and depriving yourself of salvation.

FOR SCOTT WADDELL!!!
Thank you so much for posting the 10 commands for the scrupulous-- it was just what I needed.

God Bless you! :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.