Verbum

I was at a conference and they presented this pricey software. Anybody used it? Thoughts?

Jimmy Akin uses it and so does Dr. Taylor Marshall. It’s supposed to be really good. I haven’t tried it personally because it’s too expensive for me right now but I’d like to get it someday.

I have never heard of this software, and I suspect that many others have not heard of it either.

Perhaps if you could give us a link or more description, we could advise you of less expensive (or free) alternatives.

I searched for “Verbum Software” on Amazon. The first hit was free, and nothing else was more than 25 dollars or so.

It’s Bible software where you can pretty much pull up the Bible, the cathecism, and other resources all on one screen. You can also “follow” authors or theologians,etc and if you click on a verse it will show their notes on it. It’s pretty in depth software. Here is a link. Prices range from $275 to $2500. If you buy a lower version you can always upgrade and just pay the difference. They also said you can install it on as many computers as you want so you could possibly split the cost with a study group or family.

logos.com/catholic#compare

another link
patheos.com/blogs/godandthemachine/2013/11/brand-new-verbum-bible-software-packages/

There is a free version made for tablets and phones in the itunes store

Didn’t know they offered a free app. Thanks for the info!

I’ve looked into Verbum, but the price is out of my range at this time. Looks like a very solid program with access to many resources. A friend of mine purchased the Logos software. He says it has a lot of great features, but feels like he’ll never use it to its full potential. Personally, I use the Faith Database. Its affordable and comes with a lot of resources… more than enough. The FDB is very basic compared to Verbum. I think its only about $30. I have heard they will be updating it soon.

With the ability to split screen and compare verses in two translations and both the DR and Haydock available free in the app (haydock commentary requires an internet connection), it serves as a poor man’s Haydock Bible. It takes a little getting used to and some work to get the font size and window divider at a comfortable level though.

I use this software as mainly an elibrary. The software itself is free, but you pay for the content (bibles, commentaries, encyclicals, spiritual writings etc). It has very powerful tools for bible scholorship, sermon preparation, and all around study. I have heard of some seminarians who swear by it.

If you have ever listen to Jimmy Akin when he is on a radio show answering callers’ questions, you may have marveled how quickly he conjours up several bible verses on any given topic almost instantly, knows the Greek or Hebrew words for bible terms instantly, and can find the four papal encyclicals which discuss “material cooperation” (say) instantly. He is running Logos on his laptop in the studio while listening to the callers. (He has endorsed the product both on his website and in his podcasts.) So it is powerful stuff.

Most people will not get that level of proficiency with it, but they should ask themselves if the electronic content they would buy would be worth the price. Like I said I use it mainly as a simple elibrary, but as I am thinking of getting both a Masters in Theology and a certification as a catechist, I would be purchasing a lot anyway so the bulk discounts made sense.

I have it. Did not buy a package. Bibles are ten dollars or so and the complete collegville commentary for 59. Run them on the same screen very nice. Runs on my tablet and desktop

I have it. Did not buy a package. Bibles are ten dollars or so and the complete collegville commentary for 59. Run them on the same screen very nice. Runs on my tablet and desktop

I have it. The entry level Catholic version is the Catechism collection, $50. That’s what I started with. I’ve upgraded packages over time and added other resources and purchases. I love love love it. I just went through the Camp Logos 1-2 training days last week and now I’m a power user.

I’d love if someone would make a Catholic-customized list of tags and commentaries that are covered in the Camp Logos but not geared to the Catholic collections. I posted this request on the St. Paul Center for Biblical Theology facebook page.

It would be good to have a preconference seminar on Verbum at FUS’ Applied Biblical Studies institute. I might organize some late-night Verbum User Group hangouts where we can compare resources, methods, tips, and tricks.

I like to study Scripture and sometimes take classes or seminars in Scripture topics. I am not a professional. :thumbsup:

Verbum does offer a Practicum which takes you through using the software from more of a Catholic vantage point.

I’m also debating getting getting the Verbum software as well. You can get a 15% discount if you order through this page:
logos.com/steve
They have a monthly no-interest payment plan, which makes the higher-cost packages more palatable.

Verbum recently launched their own distinct website, too. They have an Easter sale going through May 13th, which is also 15% off:

verbum.com/store

I’m not sure that it matters which method you use to buy it, though.

I’m interested in Verbum.
Does anyone know if a person can only load e-books from company or can I load e-documents as well? For example, documents found on the Vatican web site?
Thanks, Jim

Verbum has a “Personal Book Builder” feature that allows you to load your own Word documents (it might do pdfs, too – I cannot recall). So if you wanted to add that latest encyclical to your library, you’d just have to copy and paste the text into a Word document. Verbum will automatically recognize and hyperlink all Scripture references contained in the document. You can add other cross-references, too (for example, to the Catechism or documents on vatican II if those are part of your library). That takes a bit of time to do, though.

I have Verbum on my iPhone, iPad, and recently added it to my laptop. I find it very helpful but still need to learn to use it to its fullest potential.

Although I cannot access all the books in my iDevices library on my laptop, I’m contemplating on buying the Catholic Answers Library as a good starter library, which has most of the books on the iDevice library. Would this be a good start, or is there a different library you recommend?

It really depends what you plan on using it for (and how much money you have to spend :p).

I’d say the Catholic Answers Library looks to be the best bundle for the average Catholic with an interest in apologetics. The bundles are nice as they shave off a significant part of the cost of buying all the books separately. But then you are spending a lot more at once. They do have payment plans, though, which is nice.

I have it…AND I bought one of the packages. They have monthly payments and then upgrades if you want.

I love it. With the package, I have it on my iphone, ipad, and laptop. They have daily readings, so you can download the Missal and see your daily readings. You can do Bible reading plans and study plans. I have more Catholic books than I will ever read on this, including some Scott hahn that are available.

It is an amazing thing to carry that large of a Catholic library where I go, all hyper linked and tied together.

I highly recommend it

I will second this!!! :thumbsup:

I have Verbum Basic plus additional titles. It is an incredible source all indexed and linked together. I did the payment plan as well.

Highly recommended as well.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.