verse in nicene creed

"We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father, God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten , not made, one in Being with the Father."

Does anybody know why there is the repetition "God from God" then again "true God from true God" in the creed? In my native language the creed has only the statement "true God from true God".
ty

This might help.

wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_God_from_God_Light_from_Light_true_God_from_true_God_mean

In Latin it says:
Et in unum Dóminum Iesum Christum,
Fílium Dei Unigénitum,
Et ex Patre natum ante ómnia sæcula.
Deum de Deo, lumen de lúmine, Deum verum de Deo vero,

The last line is clearly "God from God, Light From Light, True God from True God"

My guess is that the translation in your native language is more dynamic and less literal than the English translation. I can't answer why the Latin is written the way it is with any factual certainty, but my guess is that the near repetition exists to emphasize Jesus' divine nature in order to combat the Arian heresy.

Arian heresey:

The Arian Heresy can be a difficult thing to understand by individuals who have not been raised reciting the Nicene Creed, or in a Christian-based religion. Among other things it demonstrates the long battles, discourse, or wrangling that has surrounded the attempt to discern the nature of Christ. The debate, and expression of the Arian Heresy, came to a head during the Council of Nicea in the 4th century.

Founders of the early Christian church, with the aid of Constantine, who was at the time not a practicing Christian, thought it essential that the nature of God, and the belief in God, be clarified. Most important was identifying and defining the divinity of Christ. While many believed that Jesus was son of God and shared his essence, a concept called homoousion, some felt that giving Jesus equal standing with God was not monotheistic.

Principal among these demurrers were Arius and Eusubius. Arius, whose followers were called Arians, felt that God created Christ, not of his own matter. This meant, in his opinion, that Christ was not God and was not equal to Him. Worshiping Christ would be tantamount to worshiping another God, and this specifically went against God's teaching that he alone should be worshiped.

Arius' teachings were called the Arian Heresy because most of the members of the Council of Nicea believed in the equal divinity of Christ and the concept of Jesus as of one essence with God. Since Arius taught a different idea of the nature of Jesus, he was labeled a heretic, and his work was called heresy according to the Church. Diminishing Christ's divinity was thought an evil, and Arius' promotion of the Arian Heresy quickly resulted in his exile.

Arian's exile did not completely cement doctrine of the Roman Church and end the debate. The Council of Nicea did adopt the Nicene Creed, a statement of beliefs that expressly supports the idea of homoousion, that Christ is "one in being with the Father," and "begotten not made." Still, some small sects of Christianity continued to support the Arian Heresy, and would later become the non-Trinitarians.

Today, the Arian Heresy is considered only heretical by Trinitarians. There are many churches that refute the divinity of Christ and do not believe in the combined Trinity. The term heresy has also come to have much less weight in mainstream Catholic thought. At the height of Catholic dominance and power, being considered a heretic could result in excommunication, torture, and execution.

wisegeek.com/what-was-the-arian-heresy.htm

[quote="brianwalden, post:3, topic:301444"]
In Latin it says:
Fílium Dei Unigénitum,

The last line is clearly "God from God, Light From Light, True God from True God"

My guess is that the translation in your native language is more dynamic and less literal than the English translation. I can't answer why the Latin is written the way it is with any factual certainty, but my guess is that the near repetition exists to emphasize Jesus' divine nature in order to combat the Arian heresy.

[/quote]

That was interesting :) Thanks for the mention :)

[quote="brianwalden, post:3, topic:301444"]
In Latin it says:
Fílium Dei Unigénitum,

[/quote]

But mr friend nikea Konstantinopol Creed was written
in Greek mot Latin! Here is it

Πατρὸς γεννηθέντα πρὸ πάντων τῶν αἰώνων· φῶς ἐκ φωτός, Θεὸν ἀληθινὸν ἐκ Θεοῦ ἀληθινοῦ, γεννηθέντα, οὐ ποιηθέντα, ὁμοούσιον τῷ Πατρί, δι᾿ οὗ τὰ πάντα ἐγένετο.

you will see there is no such God from God begore light from light! Why has Latin church translated Greek into such flowery repetitive Latin more likely due to some strange need of Roman Church- perhaps better poetic sound for singing! But this is not original and Latin is not standard'

[quote="Volodymyr, post:6, topic:301444"]
But mr friend nikea Konstantinopol Creed was written
in Greek mot Latin! Here is it

Πατρὸς γεννηθέντα πρὸ πάντων τῶν αἰώνων· φῶς ἐκ φωτός, Θεὸν ἀληθινὸν ἐκ Θεοῦ ἀληθινοῦ, γεννηθέντα, οὐ ποιηθέντα, ὁμοούσιον τῷ Πατρί, δι᾿ οὗ τὰ πάντα ἐγένετο.

you will see there is no such God from God begore light from light! Why has Latin church translated Greek into such flowery repetitive Latin more likely due to some strange need of Roman Church- perhaps better poetic sound for singing! But this is not original and Latin is not standard'

[/quote]

Wow, thanks for pointing that out. I knew about the Filioque but didn't know that Deum de Deo was also added in Latin. Does anyone know why? A quick google search didn't turn up any answers.

[quote="brianwalden, post:7, topic:301444"]
Wow, thanks for pointing that out. I knew about the Filioque but didn't know that Deum de Deo was also added in Latin. Does anyone know why? A quick google search didn't turn up any answers.

[/quote]

Hilary of Poitiers, writing in early 359 to believers in Gaul, Belgica, and Germania, lists the phrase as having appeared in the councils of Antioch in 341 (q.v. 29), Sardica in 344 (q.v. 34), and Sirmium in 357 (q.v. 38). It also appears in Pope Leo I's letter to Patriarch Flavian of Constantinople, in 451.

All of this may have led to its being assumed in the West as having been part of the Nicene Creed, in much the same way that the Filioque was.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.