Verses from the Bible that prove

I recently have had an Orthodox Christian rudely e-mail me constantly about how only Orthodox Christians are saved and how it's the true church and you must be apart of it. They claim it's the church that Jesus founded. How do I tackle this with the Bible. I came back to God this year so I forgot most of my Bible knowledge. I am completely civil with them, but they are stubborn.

Any verses?

Thanks.

Well, no verse is truly "proof" of anything, but Mark 16:16 is a start. There are some wonderful Orthodox Christians here at CAF, and although we know our points of disagreement, we manage to get along fairly well. A few Orthodox, a minority, believe that apostolic succession was lost n the Catholic Church. Why or how, I have no idea.You have just enountered one that is a bit of a challenge. Hook him up with some bible-thumping fundamentalists for a real good time!

[quote="skrlife, post:1, topic:338517"]
I recently have had an Orthodox Christian rudely e-mail me constantly about how only Orthodox Christians are saved and how it's the true church and you must be apart of it. They claim it's the church that Jesus founded. How do I tackle this with the Bible. I came back to God this year so I forgot most of my Bible knowledge. I am completely civil with them, but they are stubborn.
Any verses?
Thanks.

[/quote]

This is a good start for information.

scripturecatholic.com/the_church.html

[quote="skrlife, post:1, topic:338517"]

Any verses?

Thanks.

[/quote]

You need to take control this conversation. He's the one that is making all these claims. The burden of proof is on him, not you. If he gives you specific arguments and "proofs" to back up his claims, then you can respond to those claims.

Membership in an institution doesn't save anyone. Neither does having a head knowledge of a bunch of dogmas or belonging to a particular church.. What God demands is something that can only be given by us individually. We must be reconciled to him by meeting His conditions. Consider the following:

1) We must acknowledge that individually we are sinners and that sin separates us from God. All of us have sinned and come short of the glory of God (Rom. 3:23)
2) Christ suffered and died for our sins, "the just for the unjust that he might bring us to God..." (1 Peter 3:18; Romans 5:8).
3) We must truly recognize our sinfulness, that we are separated from God and destined for hell. We must have a sincere godly sorry for our sin, turn from it with all our heart and repent. "... unless you repent, you will all likewise perish." (Luke 13:5)
4) We must be born again, that is, experience a new birth (John 3:1-8). When we satisfy God's conditions we will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit of God into our lives. We are thus "born of God" It is a supernatural transformation that cannot be duplicated by doing any "good works" of our own (Titus 3:5; Ephesians 2:8-9).
5) God want our life to be totally given over to Him, that is, We are not love anything more than we want to love and obey Him. We say, "Yes, Lord, I want you more than anything else in this world. I hereby surrender my life to you that you might be the Lord of my life. I hereby commit myself totally to follow after you" (Matthew 16:24-26; 13:44-46; Romans 10:9-10)
6) That supernatural change, that only God can provide when we set our hearts on Him, is truly transformational. We are justified, that is we are cleansed of our sins and at that moment our sins are washed away. We become new creatures in Christ Jesus. Old things and old ways pass away and all things become new (2 Corinthians 5:17). We receive a new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Christ from the dead and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil of fade that is kept in heaven for us ... (1 Peter 1:3-8).
7) Jesus admonishes us to enter through the narrow gate for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it (Matthew 7:13-14)
May you find that small gate and narrow way that leads to life!.

Orville Andvik #5
What God demands is something that can only be given by us individually. We must be reconciled to him by meeting His conditions.

What has been omitted is precisely how Jesus of Nazareth carefully explained how we are to know how to follow Him:
To St Peter alone by Jesus of Nazareth, Son Of God, A.D. 33
All four promises to Peter alone:
"You are Peter and on this rock I will build My Church." (Mt 16:18)

"The gates of hell will not prevail against it."(Mt 16:18)

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven." ( Mt 16:19)

"Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven." (Mt 16:19) [Later to the Twelve].

Sole authority:
"Strengthen your brethren." (Lk 22:32)
"Feed My sheep."(Jn 21:17).

“But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail, and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren.” (Lk 22:32). This for His Vicar Peter, alone.

Having commissioned Peter as His first Vicar, Jesus instructed the eleven and proclaimed: “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations….teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you…” (Mt 28:18-20)

Since Jesus wrote nothing, and His Church gave us the Bible, She alone has the sole authority to correctly interpret it with the authority received from Christ.

The Church built by Jesus is indeed Catholic Church which The Nicene Creed proclaims. Now, which church is Catholic? Catholic Church under Roman bishop? Greek orthodox? Church of Jerusalem or Antioch or Syria…? Or the Protestants? Or the evangelicals or fundamentals?.. Or all together? …
We need to go back to early Church… Look at the writings of the early fathers and the Scripture itself both the old and new Testaments. Then all be clear… Christ indeed told Simon that he is Peter(rock) and upon this rock he would build his Church (Mt:16). Early Church Fathers undoubtedly understood this rock as Peter and believed that Peter established his seat at Rome. So all the Church Fathers gave the primacy of honour to the See of Rome and its bishops as the successors of the prince of the Apostles. This primacy sometimes was projected as a clear supremacy in the writings of the Fathers of the East and West. The disputes between the bishops were solved by the Holy See.The final word on the Doctrines were always on the Roman Pontiff. Even the patriarchs of the important sees like Constantinople, Antioch, Alexandria,… sought the approval the decisions of their teachings, the Council decisions and even their own elections to the seat. There was another reason for that… Because according to all the Church Fathers of the early Church understood that Roman Church was the only Church which never fell into the hands of a heresy. The decision of the same Church became later the Christian orthodox doctrines. That iwhy we have the famous quotation attributed to St. Augustine,"Rome has spoken, the matter is closed!"
For a better understanding of the teachings of the early Fathers regarding the Church, read Steve Ray’s book,“Upon this Rock.” It’s one of the best and most detailed study of the understanding of the early Church.
Also visit youtube.com/watch?v=f_fS6yuQcH8

Thanks. They haven’t replied yet, and normally they reply within a few hours. I’ve seen that this person constantly argues with non-Orthodox Christians and always “retreats” back into their hiding place.

They just replied with this:

"You are a stubborn heretic uneducated SECTARIAN:
1.) NO YOU ARE NOT A CHRISTIAN as I have shown. Because you are not a member of the Holy Church of CHRIST - CHRIST DOES NOT KNOW YOU and you are not even BAPTISED.
2.) I am not hateful as I also explained in the beginning of that discussion BUT TRUTH IS TRUTH if you like it or not. That is why I said SALVATION is not a ROMANTIC GAME but SERIOUS REALITY
3.) Orthodox is not mentioned in the BIBLE? LOL - well look if the word BIBLE is mentioned"

"Matthew 18:18 -
"Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."
So since you follow yourself - and you do not confess and repents your sins to the Holy Apostles - YOUR SINS WILL NOT BE FORGIVEN.
Again you directly CONTRADICT THE HOLY BIBLE"

Apparently I follow and lead myself because I am not Orthodox. But I follow and am lead by God. And I am on my journey to be apart of the true Catholic church. This person is very angry. I also wasn't baptised because only the Orthodox church can apparently.

I just wanted to add that they call me "stubborn" and "uneducated", when they themselves are stubborn and uneducated. The Bible is right in front of them yet they can not see. They are spiritually blind. I will never forget the day when I saw through God and His Word that the Catholic church is the one and only true church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.