Very important for parents to read: Teenagers dying from choking game

latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-choking-game-death,0,2957684.story

Deaths of 2 teens prompt police alert about 'choking game'***

It is really scary to me the things that kids are trying to "get high." I admit, I'm young enough that when I was in late grade school/middle school, we had a friend who rode my bus that told us how to make yourself pass out. It wasn't long before most people on my bus were doing it, although it wasn't to "get high" it was to try to look sick so you could get out of school.

The thing is, they all did it using just their hands. Parents need to not wait until they see bedsheets tied off, or other signs. Parents need to have open honest discussions with their kids about the kind of stuff that is out there.

[quote="Whitacre_Girl, post:2, topic:208957"]
It is really scary to me the things that kids are trying to "get high." I admit, I'm young enough that when I was in late grade school/middle school, we had a friend who rode my bus that told us how to make yourself pass out. It wasn't long before most people on my bus were doing it, although it wasn't to "get high" it was to try to look sick so you could get out of school.

The thing is, they all did it using just their hands. Parents need to not wait until they see bedsheets tied off, or other signs. Parents need to have open honest discussions with their kids about the kind of stuff that is out there.

[/quote]

I was doing this back in the late 60s so it's not exactly new. I quit when I found out that depriving myself of oxygen killed off brain cells that didn't get renewed. The difference is that we never did this by ourselves or choke ourselves. It's just as easy to do by hyperventilating and then holding your breath until you pass out. But for a while this game was quite popular in my school.

There was a similar thing that we used to do in junior high to cause ourselves to pass out. I'm not going to describe the procedure, but the effect was not to cause hypoxia, but hyperoxia (too much oxygen in the bloodstream). In any case, the result was the same--blackout. As a (hopefully) wiser adult, I would not recommend it.

As for the choking game itself--very, very, very bad idea.

DaveBj

Yep - we did this in the 70’s as well - nothing new. I stopped when it scared the daylights out of me.

~Liza

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.