very very few are saved, most of us are going to hell

I came accross this blog with many quotes about how few will be saved.
should I despair now, and prepare myself for the flames of hell??

This is the most terrifying thing I have ever read!!!!

catholicquotations.blogspot.com/2008/07/greater-part-of-men-choose-to-be-damned.html

are these quotes real? these are the Church fathers, popes, the great saints..what a terror!

“The greater number of Christians today are damned. The destiny of those dying on one day is that very few - not as many as ten - went strait to Heaven; many remained in Purgatory; and those cast into Hell were as numerous as snowflakes in mid-winter.”
-Blessed Anna Maria Taigi

No I wouldn’t worry. As long as we choose God we’re good :slight_smile:

Those quotes did even say ‘so few choose the Lord’ so I mean if you do choose God you’ll be saved. No worries! :slight_smile:

[quote="Joe147, post:1, topic:184987"]
I came accross this blog with many quotes about how few will be saved.

This is the most terrifying thing I have ever read!!!!

catholicquotations.blogspot.com/2008/07/greater-part-of-men-choose-to-be-damned.html

are these quotes real? these are the Church fathers, popes, the great saints..what a terror!

[/quote]

Yes, you should definitely give up all hope and prepare to burn for eternity. If you require further information on the specific torments that await you, I'm sure many members of this forum (and Moral Theology as well) will be more than delighted to give you all the information you need, as this is a favorite topic.

[quote="Joe147, post:1, topic:184987"]
I came across this blog with many quotes about how few will be saved.

[/quote]

Despair is a sin. Presumption (assuming that you will be saved without having to do anything for God) is also a sin.

I agree that it is very frightening. It is terrible. At the same time, when we look around at the way people behave and how many of them seem to simply hate God, it is difficult to draw a different conclusion. We should all be praying very hard for ourselves and for those around us, and trusting in God's mercy.

But how can one not hate God when it seems all He does is threaten us with Hell? I find it very hard to love God when I feel like He is just waiting to cast me into Hell.

EDIT: I also find it very hard to love others as well for truthfully, if it came down to my damnation or that millions of others, I would choose that damnation of millions of others over my own.

EDIT 2: How can anyone have any joy or peace after reading this?

It’s like there is a part me that wants to spread the same Scrupulosity and despair issues to others, to tell little children that your probably going to burn in Hell if you don’t die before you hit the age of accountability, to traumatize and torment others with this horrendous fear.

That's not the right way to view this.
God doesn't threaten us with hell, Satan does.
God extends His Love to us all, through Jesus, Whose Divine Mercy is 'fathomless'.
We can choose to live our lives united to God, our will constantly conforming to His Will, as Mary did, or we can choose to give in to temptations and lead a life of sin.
Being weak humans, the chances are we will fall into sin at times, but then we have a choice - do we stay in sin, or repent whole heartedly and go to receive Reconciliation from God whose Love and Mercy are infinite?
In the end, we choose whether we go to Hell or not; and those souls who do not love God, or believe in Him, are choosing Hell, rather than living a life of love that will lead us to God.

God bless:)

1 Like

This is a prime example of why the Church does not obligate anyone to believe in private revelations, or consider any message they may contain as a part of the "deposit of faith" -- those teachings which are integral to Catholic faith.

ANY revelation or supposed revelation by a saint or mystic regarding how many or what percentage of people are in hell, or exactly what sins put them there, is a private revelation only. The same goes for private revelations regarding purgatory and the sufferings of the Poor Souls.

If the Church approves such a revelation, or canonizes or beatifies the person who received it, that does NOT mean the revelation (or how it is interpreted by the visionary or others) is necessarily 100 percent accurate. It means, simply, that it is not directly contrary to the faith, and one is free to believe in or accept the revelation if one chooses. But you are also free to reject it if you find the revelation not helpful to your faith or piety.

Believing that only a small fraction of people make it into heaven may be helpful to someone's faith if, for example, it motivates them to repent of their sins, go to confession regularly, or increase their efforts to evangelize others. However, the same revelation can be very harmful if it drives someone to despair, or tempts them into spiritual pride because they imagine themselves to be part of an elite few who have achieved salvation, or relish the thought of all the people they dislike being damned for eternity :( .

I do remember that as a kid, probably around age 12 or 13, I got into some old Catholic books that my mom had bought years before, one of which was devoted to private revelations about purgatory. Well, that book was full of all sorts of frightening visions of people spending hundreds of years languishing in flames for venial sins like playing cards too much or dressing a little too fancily. (I'd really hate to think what the purgatorial penalty might be for spending too much time surfing the internet :eek:)

Now did this book motivate me to greater holiness? No, actually, it made me feel like "What's the use of even trying to be good, if I'm going to burn anyway after I die for every little sin I commit?" :shrug: Later on, however, I found some much more balanced and sensible material regarding the nature of purgatory, emphasizing that it is NOT a mini- or short-term version of hell, but far different, and even at its "worst," far better and closer to God than our earthly life.

Jesus did say that the gate to life was narrow and "few" entered into it, but he never got more specific than that. Note also that when his disciples began to despair, and ask "Then who can be saved?" Jesus emphasized that "with God, all things are possible."

the bible states that If you confess me before man I will confess you before my FatherJesus gave us two commandments: Love the Lord with all your heart and soul. and the second is love your fellow man as your self. that second one seems to be giving every one the bigest problem.

Peace,

Since my lived faith has always been based on fear of Hell and Scrupulosity, why should I not spread that same fear and Scrupulosity? Let people see that in the end it is fear of Hell that motivates and what a great fear it is. Oh yes, tell little children about the torments that may await them, that Jesus is waiting to kick them off the cliff-edge and into the fiery abyss where the demons and the flames will torment them.

Your perception of God is completely wrong. God does not want anyone to go to Hell. Jesus suffered and died in order to save every single person - it is individuals who reject the salvation Jesus offers. Hell is the pain of separation experienced by those who reject the love of God.

It is much better to be motivated by a love for God than by a fear of hell.

All God ever does is try to save you from damnation. Only we are capable of damning ourselves, i.e. rejecting God.

The idea that hell is something other than a person’s deliberate rejection of God is not a Catholic one.

This is utterly meaningless.

Student is right: “God does not want anyone to go to Hell. Jesus suffered and died in order to save every single person… It is much better to be motivated by a love for God than by a fear of hell.”

Nsper7, your personal information says you are Catholic, but your words here do not express Catholic faith. I strongly recommend that you come back to the Catholic faith, where there is no cause for anxiety and fear. If you need spiritual help, please seek a good spiritual director. If you need psychological help, please see a mental health professional.

Joe, I know what you mean because I've worried about this too. Try to see it this way... many people in the world don't care about God and aren't repenting of sin. If you're INTENDING to love Him and be repentant, that is good!! He looks at our intentions and isn't looking for excuses to put people in hell.... in fact, it says in the Bible that God wants no one to perish, but for all to come to repentance. Please don't despair because despair is NEVER from God, and always from the enemy. As long as you don't despair and keep on trying, you're responding to God's grace. (and that's what we need to do.) Remember Jesus is our Savior and He saves us, - if you're not rebelling against Him but intending to do His will, and trying your best, then you don't have to worry but just keep trying. St Padre Pio said, *"pray, hope, and don't worry". * the problem is that many people aren't trying... but if you're afraid of hell, and want to go to heaven, that's already a great start... if you're worried, pray the Divine Mercy chaplet and ask Jesus to show you any area of your life you need to repent of, and then just trust in His mercy and keep doing what you're doing :thumbsup: in any case, DON'T despair, that is exactly what the devil wants, - despair is rejecting God's mercy and that's what sends people to hell..their own choice to reject His goodness

[quote="nsper7, post:5, topic:184987"]
But how can one not hate God when it seems all He does is threaten us with Hell? I find it very hard to love God when I feel like He is just waiting to cast me into Hell.

[/quote]

but He's not :(

He died on the Cross to save us.... why do you say that "all He does" is threaten with hell, after He went through this painful death just so we won't go there?

Also it's not God who threatens, it's the devil.... God calls everyone to Himself, and they make the choice.

Also God isn't "waiting" to cast us into hell, - again, you're forgetting the Cross. :(
It says in the Bible He doesn't want ANYONE to perish

I think you have a incorrect understanding of God and maybe this is what you've been taught, etc, or maybe you're trying to deal with scrupulosity, but try to meditate on His mercy and ask Him to help you understand it fully. :)

God bless

[quote="aspirant, post:12, topic:184987"]
All God ever does is try to save you from damnation. Only we are capable of damning ourselves, i.e. rejecting God.

The idea that hell is something other than a person's deliberate rejection of God is not a Catholic one.

This is utterly meaningless.

Student is right: "God does not want anyone to go to Hell. Jesus suffered and died in order to save every single person.... It is much better to be motivated by a love for God than by a fear of hell."

Nsper7, your personal information says you are Catholic, but your words here do not express Catholic faith. I strongly recommend that you come back to the Catholic faith, where there is no cause for anxiety and fear. If you need spiritual help, please seek a good spiritual director. If you need psychological help, please see a mental health professional.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

I am sorry for getting so angry and everything, but how do I overcome this 'fear of Hell' motivation? Also, when I go to Confession tomorrow, how do I properly confess this anger? Should I just describe it as "anger and hatred and rebellion towards God and towards others and, at times, wanting to spread the same fear and Scrupulosity that I deal with onto others"?

That isn't the impression that Jesus gives, that most will be lost.
You may feel reassured to read Matthew 25 verses 31-46
Jesus who is the judge of souls indicates as welcomed into heaven those who live practical acts of kindness, and surely that includes more people rather than less.
Love God above all,
and others as self.

[quote="nsper7, post:15, topic:184987"]
I am sorry for getting so angry and everything, but how do I overcome this 'fear of Hell' motivation?

[/quote]

Try to trust in God's mercy, and this might help understand His love better.. and the more you understand His love, the easier it will be to make this your motivation :) also pray for this grace.

Also, when I go to Confession tomorrow, how do I properly confess this anger? Should I just describe it as "anger and hatred and rebellion towards God and towards others and, at times, wanting to spread the same fear and Scrupulosity that I deal with onto others"?

sure.. just be honest and it will be enough :)

God bless!

I am sorry for getting so angry and everything, but how do I overcome this 'fear of Hell' motivation?

[/quote]

Love God, love your neighbor. If you mess up, change direction, return to loving God and your neighbor. They truly are lovable for their own sakes. Seek what is good, beautiful, and true. :)

Also, when I go to Confession tomorrow, how do I properly confess this anger?

[/quote]

Something like "I am sometimes angry because I am scared. I struggle with scrupulosity. I want to learn to love God and my neighbors for their own sakes. Please, Jesus, give me the grace to always be growing toward this goal."

This is a matter best explored with the help of a good spiritual director, perhaps in conjunction with a mental health professional, rather than anonymous people on an internet forum. :)

[quote="Monica4316, post:17, topic:184987"]
just be honest and it will be enough :)

[/quote]

Yes. :)

Should I talk about those statements I made about if I could damn a million to save myself and also wanting to traumatize others, esp. children, with the fear and Scrupulosity that gets to me? Or is that all covered under anger/hatred/lack of love for neighbor?

As one who deals with Scrupulosity, I always worry about how much detail to go into.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.