Vestment Question

What is the name of the red vestment worn by this bishop below?
http://www.catholicsun.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/IMG_2023.jpg

This appears to be a bishop’s cassock.

It's not really a vestment. It's just the cardinal's cassock that he's wearing underneath the alb. :)

The red visible is (or represents) the bishop's cassock.

A cassock is street wear for a priest (although it's most often seen inside the church, regrettably I might add), and is the older form of clerical apparel.

There is also a second type of cassock, the choir cassock, which prelates (higher-ranking monsignors, as well as all bishops and cardinals) wear on solemn occasions (like liturgies).

A the cassock of a priest, deacon, or seminarian is all black, with a black belt, or fascia.

A monsignor's house cassock is black, with purple or red trimming and buttons (depending on rank), and a purple fascia. Some ranks of monsignor are allowed to wear a choir cassock that is purple, with red trim.

The house cassock of a bishop (called a simar) is black with red piping, and a purple fascia, as well as a small cape called a pellegrina. A bishop's choir cassock is purple with red trimming and a purple fascia.

A cardinal's simar is black with red piping and a red belt, and a pellegrina. A cardinal's choir cassock is red with red trimming and a red fascia.

The pope's simar is all white, with a white fascia. There is no distinguishable difference between his simar and choir cassock right now, besides the pellegrina (sometimes).

NB: Many bishops now buy albs that have red silk under the lace, so that it appears that they're wearing a choir cassock (which has red cuffs), even if they're not.

Here's a picture of a bishop's choir cassock so you can get a full picture. Bishops often add a mozzetta and rochet on top of this for liturgical functions (not shown):
http://www.clergyapparel.com/images/bishopsattire/bishops_ChoirCassock.jpg
© Renzetti Mangelli Clerical Apparel

Thank you for that fairly clear explanation (didn't understand all the Latin, but got the general idea). Always wondered the correct names for these articles of clerical apparel!

I only knew the names of the Alb and the Cassock. What are the outer vestments worn at Mass by Priests properly called? (they vary by season, in color, of course, but don't know the correct names). Also, what is the purple small scarf called which a Priest wears in confessions properly called? Would like to know the correct names for things, as my Priest has sent me back to a nearby Parish a couple of times to pick up a vestment he forgot to bring. Luckily, each time it was the Alb, which I did know the name of!

[quote="judynurse, post:5, topic:349058"]
Thank you for that fairly clear explanation (didn't understand all the Latin, but got the general idea). Always wondered the correct names for these articles of clerical apparel!

I only knew the names of the Alb and the Cassock. What are the outer vestments worn at Mass by Priests properly called? (they vary by season, in color, of course, but don't know the correct names). Also, what is the purple small scarf called which a Priest wears in confessions properly called? Would like to know the correct names for things, as my Priest has sent me back to a nearby Parish a couple of times to pick up a vestment he forgot to bring. Luckily, each time it was the Alb, which I did know the name of!

[/quote]

The 'scarf' is a 'stole'.

The outer garment worn by the priest at Mass is a 'chasuble'.

[quote="judynurse, post:5, topic:349058"]

[/quote]

For Mass, in the OF, a priest wears: A Chasuble (the thing that looks like a poncho), an alb, a cincture (the rope tied around the alb), and a stole (the scarf thing). :thumbsup:

Thanks so much! I dislike being ignorant about things I see all the time at Church. I only know the names of clothing worn by Nuns/Sisters, since I was in a Convent for a few years, but if I learned the names of the Priests vestments as a child, I have long since forgotten them!

[quote="judynurse, post:8, topic:349058"]
Thanks so much! I dislike being ignorant about things I see all the time at Church. I only know the names of clothing worn by Nuns/Sisters, since I was in a Convent for a few years, but if I learned the names of the Priests vestments as a child, I have long since forgotten them!

[/quote]

It's all right. We were all ignorant once. :thumbsup:

If you attend the EF, then there are two extra vestments: The maniple and the amice. The maniple is the thing that hangs down from the priest's left arm. It looks like a thing a waiter would have on. The amice is a thing the priest wraps around his neck to cover his collar.

Just for your information. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the additional information!! I am going to an EF Mass about 50 miles away after Christmas, haven't been to one since the 1960's! (I grew up pre-Vatican II). It's nice to know what I'll be seeing after so long. (Provided we don't have another ice storm! If so, it'll be later in January.)

By the way, I will also be making my Consecration to Jesus through Mary on January 1st.
Say a prayer for me, please! I'm very excited and very nervous!

[quote="judynurse, post:10, topic:349058"]
Thanks for the additional information!! I am going to an EF Mass about 50 miles away after Christmas, haven't been to one since the 1960's! (I grew up pre-Vatican II). It's nice to know what I'll be seeing after so long. (Provided we don't have another ice storm! If so, it'll be later in January.)

By the way, I will also be making my Consecration to Jesus through Mary on January 1st.
Say a prayer for me, please! I'm very excited and very nervous!

[/quote]

I'll be sure to pray for you! Don't be nervous. No one should be afraid of a Mother's protection. :thumbsup:

Is the vestment worn in the EF that hangs straight down in front and back and leaves the arms bare an old fashioned form of the chasuble?

Why did/do they wear this garment? Was it invented before air conditioned churches existed? It seems like the old style vestments were cooler and sort of abbrevriated and involved a lot, lots of lace which is cooler as well.

[quote="andrewstx, post:12, topic:349058"]
Is the vestment worn in the EF that hangs straight down in front and back and leaves the arms bare an old fashioned form of the chasuble?

Why did/do they wear this garment? Was it invented before air conditioned churches existed? It seems like the old style vestments were cooler and sort of abbrevriated and involved a lot, lots of lace which is cooler as well.

[/quote]

It is called a Roman chasuble. To the contrary, it is actually a newer form of the chasuble, invented in the 1400s.

The chasubles you see at most Masses today are actually based off early Middle Ages chasubles. :thumbsup:

Priests can wear a Gothic chasuble for an EF Mass, but they still have to wear the maniple and the amice.

Usually, priests wear Roman chasubles for EF Masses because 1) It was the main chasuble in use before 1970 and 2) Roman chasubles usually come part of a set of other things that are required for an EF Mass, such as a matching burse, matching maniple, and matching chalice veil.

Bben15 did an excellent job, and I’m just going to add pictures, and a few less popular vestments:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/41/An_amice_exp.jpg/200px-An_amice_exp.jpg
The Amice, which covers the priest’s clothing, and represents the helmet of salvation

The Alb, which covers remaining clothing and represents the garment of purity

The Cincture, with which the priests prays he may be girded with chastity

The Maniple (now optional), which represents the burden of sacrifice

The Stole, which represents priestly authority. It is used when every performing sacramental ministry (Confessions, Baptisms, Blessings, Last Rites, et c.)

The Chasuble, which represents the yoke of the Lord, and charity.

A deacon would wear his stole over his shoulder (diagonally), and a dalmatic (which has sleeves) in the place of the chasuble.

The Dalmatic

The Cope is worn in limited circumstances during Mass, but is usually the outer garment for extra-Missam liturgies (liturgies that aren’t Mass). Both a deacon and priest can wear it (depending on circumstances)

Excellent lesson -- thank you! I'm going to keep this on my PC for future reference!

Thanks again!!

Wow... I just wanted to say thanks guys!! This was great and detailed info! :)

Thanks for the help, L Marshall!
I thought I knew plenty about liturgical clothing but there is always something knew to learn!
The Bishop in the is Bishop Eduardo Nevares.

[quote="L_Marshall, post:14, topic:349058"]
Bben15 did an excellent job, and I'm just going to add pictures, and a few less popular vestments:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/41/An_amice_exp.jpg/200px-An_amice_exp.jpg
The Amice, which covers the priest's clothing, and represents the helmet of salvation.
This article of clothing is not limited to the EF either. It's supposed to be worn in the OF if the type of alb the priest is wearing does not cover his collar; in practice, I've never seen any of the priests in our parish use one.

[/quote]

[quote="Phemie, post:18, topic:349058"]
This article of clothing is not limited to the EF either. It's supposed to be worn in the OF if the type of alb the priest is wearing does not cover his collar; in practice, I've never seen any of the priests in our parish use one.

[/quote]

This is true. Some albs cover the priest's (and the deacon's) clothes without any help, but any time any clothing is visible (including the clerical collar), the amice is to be used. It also serves the functional purpose of keeping sweat from staining vestments, so that they don't need to be cleaned or repaired as often.

[quote="Phemie, post:18, topic:349058"]

[/quote]

The the current priest and the last priest at my parish wear the amice. It was actually kind of cool to notice it, after looking at the white collar for long.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.