Vestments during mass

Hello everyone,

Recently I have attended mass at my home parish and a new priest was presiding. He just wore something like a Stole and no Chasuble. It looked pretty much like what the priest wears during confession. Now I know the parish has the usual vestments because the regular priest wears them and I know he has different sizes as well because usually when we have other priests visit, he gives them a set to match their size.

What I wanted to ask was whether this type of vestment is normal and allowed for the Liturgy? The priest was from an order. So does that make a difference? We have had others from orders but they too wore the normal vestments for mass.

He was wearing an alb, which is worn underneath his vestments. This is also what he wears while hearing confessions.

[quote="mercyangel, post:2, topic:326777"]
This is also what he wears while hearing confessions.

[/quote]

Not always, some priests wear their cassock, surplice, and stole. (cassock, surplice, and stole <------ :thumbsup: )

Religious priests wear whatever their order prescribes. I don't know of anything that requires that they wear a chasuble, so if the order says no, they don't have to wear it.

[quote="Eufrosnia, post:1, topic:326777"]
Hello everyone,

Recently I have attended mass at my home parish and a new priest was presiding. He just wore something like a Stole and no Chasuble. It looked pretty much like what the priest wears during confession. Now I know the parish has the usual vestments because the regular priest wears them and I know he has different sizes as well because usually when we have other priests visit, he gives them a set to match their size.

What I wanted to ask was whether this type of vestment is normal and allowed for the Liturgy? The priest was from an order. So does that make a difference? We have had others from orders but they too wore the normal vestments for mass.

[/quote]

Not many people have answered this directly, which surprises me.

Put quite simply...

[123.]“The vestment proper to the Priest celebrant at Mass, and in other sacred actions directly connected with Mass unless otherwise indicated, is the chasuble, worn over the alb and stole.” Likewise the Priest, in putting on the chasuble according to the rubrics, is not to omit the stole. All Ordinaries should be vigilant in order that all usage to the contrary be eradicated.

vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccdds/documents/rc_con_ccdds_doc_20040423_redemptionis-sacramentum_en.html

Your suspicions are correct: he should be wearing a chasuble if he is celebrating mass. The chasuble is the basic vestment for the celebration of mass, and no priest or bishop should be without it. They will wear alb (white gown) and stole (narrow strip of cloth) as you have mentioned, but on top of that should be a chasuble over that as well. I am concerned that your priest may not be following the rubrics of mass.

[quote="sw85, post:4, topic:326777"]
Religious priests wear whatever their order prescribes. I don't know of anything that requires that they wear a chasuble, so if the order says no, they don't have to wear it.

[/quote]

Theoretically possible, but to my knowledge, no religious are actually exempt from this particular aspect of liturgical law, nor have I observed anything to suggest that any religious have been granted such an exemption. :)

[quote="Filii_Dei, post:5, topic:326777"]
Not many people have answered this directly, which surprises me.

Put quite simply...

Your suspicions are correct: he should be wearing a chasuble if he is celebrating mass. The chasuble is the basic vestment for the celebration of mass, and no priest or bishop should be without it. They will wear alb (white gown) and stole (narrow strip of cloth) as you have mentioned, but on top of that should be a chasuble over that as well. I am concerned that your priest may not be following the rubrics of mass.

Theoretically possible, but to my knowledge, no religious are actually exempt from this particular aspect of liturgical law, nor have I observed anything to suggest that any religious have been granted such an exemption. :)

[/quote]

Thank you so much! Your reply was most helpful and descriptive. The source you cited should also help me when I get in touch with my parish priest about what had happened. At least it is worth expressing my concerns to him so that the next time the same priest visits, he will perhaps ask him to wear the chasuble.

Thanks to others for your replies as well!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.