Vestments Question

I am a convert to Catholicism and I also happen to make vestments. I've made several sets now but I have an idea for a set which my, cradle Catholic, husband raised questions about so I'm soliciting opinions.

I have white fabric and the priest wants white vestments. That's not a problem. My idea is to use blood-red velvet for the cross on the Roman chasuble and the hood of the cope and parts of the stole, maniple, burse, and chalice veil. Since white tends to be a kind of "neutral" colour would using red fabrics on the set make it a red set?

I love the symbolism of the red on white, especially a red cross on a white body, but it's not going to work if the set suddenly becomes Martyrs and Pentecost only . . .

[quote="MrsDrG, post:1, topic:343759"]
I am a convert to Catholicism and I also happen to make vestments. I've made several sets now but I have an idea for a set which my, cradle Catholic, husband raised questions about so I'm soliciting opinions.

I have white fabric and the priest wants white vestments. That's not a problem. My idea is to use blood-red velvet for the cross on the Roman chasuble and the hood of the cope and parts of the stole, maniple, burse, and chalice veil. Since white tends to be a kind of "neutral" colour would using red fabrics on the set make it a red set?

I love the symbolism of the red on white, especially a red cross on a white body, but it's not going to work if the set suddenly becomes Martyrs and Pentecost only . . .

[/quote]

Liturgical use of colors has to be very specific:

From the GIRM [via the USCCb website] IV. Sacred Vestments :

usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/the-mass/general-instruction-of-the-roman-missal/girm-chapter-6.cfm

An article:

ewtn.com/library/ANSWERS/LITCOLOR.HTM

The use of colours on the day is very particular, yes, but the GIRM doesn’t address what makes a particular set that colour.

We know he can’t wear red vestments on the fourth Sunday after Pentecost because green is the colour assigned to that day.

[quote="MrsDrG, post:3, topic:343759"]
The use of colours on the day is very particular, yes, but the GIRM doesn't address what makes a particular set that colour.

We know he can't wear red vestments on the fourth Sunday after Pentecost because green is the colour assigned to that day.

[/quote]

You might read here:

newadvent.org/cathen/04134a.htm

From that link:

Affected vestments

The drapery and vestments affected by the law of liturgical colours are (a) the antependium of the altar, and as a matter of appropriateness, the tabernacle veil; (b) the burse and chalice veil; (c) maniple, stole, chasuble, cope, and humeral veil; (d) maniple, stole, tunic, and dalmatic of the sacred ministers, and also the broad stole and folded chasuble when employed. All these must correspond with the rules prescribing the use of each colour. The rubrical prescriptions regard the main or constitutive portion of each vestment, so that the borders or other ornamental accessories do not determine the quality of colour. Neither does the lining, but the Roman practice is to have it in harmony with the vestment itself, yellow however being generally adopted instead of pure white.

The colors of the orphrey's, vesica's and other trims are not what classifies the colors of the vestments. It is the color of the chasuble/maniple, stole, veil, etc. that is what you are looking for. If the cloth is "white" then it is not a big deal if the trims are red or green or gold. Yes, its nice if the trim colors emphasize the Feast. but it is not necessary.

I don't know many parishes that can afford a set of white vestments with all the correct trim colors. But since that is not how things are judged its a non item. For example; Lent requires violet vestments NOT white vestments with violet trim.

Ask your priest what he wants or needs.
May God Bless you in your work.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you are speaking of the "decorations" being red on otherwise white vestments?

I don't think that would be a problem. But I don't know the ins and outs of what governs the making of vestments. :o

[quote="corsair, post:5, topic:343759"]
The colors of the orphrey's, vesica's and other trims are not what classifies the colors of the vestments. It is the color of the chasuble/maniple, stole, veil, etc. that is what you are looking for. If the cloth is "white" then it is not a big deal if the trims are red or green or gold. Yes, its nice if the trim colors emphasize the Feast. but it is not necessary.

I don't know many parishes that can afford a set of white vestments with all the correct trim colors. But since that is not how things are judged its a non item. For example; Lent requires violet vestments NOT white vestments with violet trim.

Ask your priest what he wants or needs.
May God Bless you in your work.

[/quote]

Yes, that's right. :) The color of the trim does not change the white. If it did, there would never have been white with blue trim, since blue is not considered a liturgical color in the Latin Church (except in certain places by indult).

As it happens, I recall a set of white vestments from years ago that had red trim. When those vestments were junked (and I mean literally put in the garbage to be burned in order to make room for the felt and burlap) in 1969, I rescued it. It's long gone from my possession now, but the fabric was simple white, probably rayon, and the red trim was velvet. :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.