Vetitum and Discernment?

Hello all and God Bless,
If one has received an annulment but has a Vetitum attached (at least that’s what I think it is after googling? It says “The decision contains the following caution. You may not contract marriage in the Catholic Church without contact with this Tribunal by any priest asked to witness this marriage.”)
Would this also affect discernment into religious life, specifically becoming a nun?
I specifically got an annulment in order to discern religious life, and now, I’m a bit crushed, thinking that since a religious takes vows that this would also apply to religious life as well.
I was married before coming into the Church.
:crying:

[quote="Lachryma_Christ, post:1, topic:306014"]
Hello all and God Bless,
If one has received an annulment but has a Vetitum attached (at least that's what I think it is after googling? It says "The decision contains the following caution. You may not contract marriage in the Catholic Church without contact with this Tribunal by any priest asked to witness this marriage.")
Would this also affect discernment into religious life, specifically becoming a nun?
I specifically got an annulment in order to discern religious life, and now, I'm a bit crushed, thinking that since a religious takes vows that this would also apply to religious life as well.
I was married before coming into the Church.
:crying:

[/quote]

But the vows a religious takes are entirely different to those a married person takes - apart perhaps from the obedience. In any event the lifestyle is very different.

Besides which it simply says 'contract marriage', and religious do not contract marriage. They are well capable of adding 'or take vows as a religious' if they wanted also to restrict your becoming a religious.

[quote="LilyM, post:2, topic:306014"]
But the vows a religious takes are entirely different to those a married person takes - apart perhaps from the obedience. In any event the lifestyle is very different.

Besides which it simply says 'contract marriage', and religious do not contract marriage. They are well capable of adding 'or take vows as a religious' if they wanted also to restrict your becoming a religious.

[/quote]

A divorced person is not free to date, marry or enter religious life without an annulment meaning they are free to do so. If that annulment has a prohibition, it may very well count for all of the above.

I really hope you're right LilyM, I have already been in contact with two communities and explained my situation with the annulment (before getting the decision which I got today). How hard will it be to tell them I'm not free to discern even though my heart will be crushed. :(

[quote="Lachryma_Christ, post:3, topic:306014"]
A divorced person is not free to date, marry or enter religious life without an annulment meaning they are free to do so. If that annulment has a prohibition, it may very well count for all of the above.

I really hope you're right LilyM, I have already been in contact with two communities and explained my situation with the annulment (before getting the decision which I got today). How hard will it be to tell them I'm not free to discern even though my heart will be crushed. :(

[/quote]

Of course a divorced person isn't free until annulled -this is simply because the married state is incompatible with the state of being religious. One cannot at the same time be both married and a religious. You have been annulled, remember. It's not like your annulment has been refused. It is simply that should you wish to marry again you would need to proceed with care.

None of this is to say that the criteria for fitness for marriage are the same as those for fitness for the religious life. Do you imagine someone would be refused entry to the religious life if they were permanently incapable of the sex act? Of course not. Yet they would not be permitted to marry if they were permanently incapable.

You're overthinking this to a huge degree - firstly by assuming that it has any relevance at all and secondly by thinking that it is any sort of permanent or serious obstacle even if it does apply. The only way to know for sure is simply to tell the communities you have been discerning with. They will almost certainly tell you that the vetitium has no relevance, and in any case getting your answer from them about it now will let you move on.

You would, of course, be required to tell any religious community you were discerning about your marriage and annulment and the circumstances. It would be their decision whether to accept you, as it always is.

I would contact your tribunal or (perhaps your parish priest) and ask them or him to explain exactly what that means. At the same time ask if there is any prohibition from seeking to enter religious life. Better to know what the decision actually means then act accordingly. There may not be a problem but why not find out??? (There is also the ask an apologist “spot” on the forums here but they would need to see the wording) I still would contact the tribunal and ask for clarification…

blessings - Sr Debbie OSC

Hello and God Bless!!
This is the first time I’ve been able to log in and give an update.
Lily was right… I freaked out for nothing :wink:
I spoke with the Tribunal and all that means is that if I were to choose to ever marry again they would want to make sure it’s not an abusive situation (the marriage that was annulled was abusive).
As far as religious life goes, there is no prohibition at all and I’m free to discern :extrahappy:

Now I’d like to beg prayers for my discernment please
:nun2:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.