Vicar of God question

Hi There

Is it correct by a pope to use the title “Vicar of God”? I know one pope who used this title. I believe Jesus is Truly God and the Pope is his Vicar but sinceGod manages the universe, creator of live and all powerfull " a pope cannot do this and act as a Vicar since he cannot do the above.

However, I believe the “Vicar of Christ” is correct since the pope can do the function of Christ as the pastor of his shepperd.

Does this mean that the pope who used this title is a heretic?

Please shed some light

Greetings,

Vicar of God is NOT a title of the Pope. I would suggest a short trip to the Catholic Encyclopedia for the article on Papal titles. I also don’t believe that any people used the Title Vicar of God. You might have been reading some 7th day adventist material. They try to say that the title of pope is “Vicar of the Son of God”- because then that can be added up to 666 and they can call the Pope the antiChrist. This is also NOT a title of the Pope.

peace

I don’t see a problem with Vicar of God. What’s wrong with being called God’s representative on Earth? I don’t see how that’s any different than saying the pope is Jesus’ representative on earth.

Hi tkmp

a little info…The title Vicar of God used for the pope by Nicholas III
(c. “Fundamenta ejus”, 17, “De elect.”, in 6)
peace
marlo

[quote=TKMP]Greetings,

Vicar of God is NOT a title of the Pope. I would suggest a short trip to the Catholic Encyclopedia for the article on Papal titles. I also don’t believe that any people used the Title Vicar of God. You might have been reading some 7th day adventist material. They try to say that the title of pope is “Vicar of the Son of God”- because then that can be added up to 666 and they can call the Pope the antiChrist. This is also NOT a title of the Pope.

peace
[/quote]

[quote=marlo]Hi There

Is it correct by a pope to use the title “Vicar of God”? I know one pope who used this title. I believe Jesus is Truly God and the Pope is his Vicar but sinceGod manages the universe, creator of live and all powerfull " a pope cannot do this and act as a Vicar since he cannot do the above.

However, I believe the “Vicar of Christ” is correct since the pope can do the function of Christ as the pastor of his shepperd.

Does this mean that the pope who used this title is a heretic?

Please shed some light

[/quote]

Well, no it isn’t heresy, in the sense that Christ is God and the Pope is his representative on Earth. The Pope isn’t just the representative of Christ’s Sacred Humanity, he is the representative of Christ. It’s the same as referring to Our Lady as the Mother of God; she isn’t merely the Mother of the Human Nature of Jesus, she is the Mother of the Divine Person who has both a Divine and a Human Nature. Jesus cannot be divided and separated into separate components. A divided Christ is the hallmark of Modernism.

Still, I’ve never ever heard a Pope use Vicar of God before. It’s always been Vicar of Christ or Vicar of Peter.

[quote=marlo]Hi tkmp

a little info…The title Vicar of God used for the pope by Nicholas III
(c. “Fundamenta ejus”, 17, “De elect.”, in 6)
peace
marlo
[/quote]

I believe Nicholas III was referring to God in the Form of Christ. Vicar of Christ. Christ+Father+Holy Spirit=Trinitarian God.

[quote=TKMP]Greetings,

peace
[/quote]

If you have been reading a 7th Day Adventist publication, there is an excellent section in “Pope Fiction” by Patrick Madrid focusing on this particular claim. The ironic part is that the founder of 7th Day Adventist’s name adds up to 666 (Miss Ellen Gould White). Thanks and God Bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.