Vicarius Christi = Antichristos?

Hello, first of all, I don’t know under where this should be put but since it’s about language I thought I’d put it here.
I have read that the Latin title: Vicarius Christi can be translated into the Greek: Antichristos. I have some doubts about this but I will not discount the possibility that it may be true. Anti in Greek may have more than one meaning just like Vicarius in Latin. Is there a basis for this (slightly stupid) argument?

This is something that Protestants do to say that the Pope is the antichrist, I have even seen the beginning of a Protestant Bible have this in it.

Firstly thousands of names can add up to 666, you cannot predict who it will be, it is there so when the antichrist arrives the shrewd will know who he is.

The antichrist must deny that our Lord has come in the flesh. No Pope has ever done that. 1 John 4:3

“anti” in Greek means “against” or “opposed to”

“vicarius” in Latin means “assistant”

You can see “against-Christ” (Antichristos) and “assistant of Christ” (Vicarius Christi) don’t mean the same thing.

Thanks but upon checking the dictionary, I found that indeed anti in Greek can mean “instead of” which would tie in with vicarius which means representative. Nonetheless I wouldn’t use antichristos to translate vicarius christi because even with the usage of “instead of” it reminds me of a Biblical passage on how the Antichrist is worshiped instead of Christ. Also, Antichristos looks rather… unappealing.

Jumping from “instead of” in the sense of “representative” to “instead of” as in “opposed to” (which the Antichirst is) is an equivocation and still renders the Protestant argument absurd.

Not at all. :slight_smile:

However, there is a tired old argument that “Vicarius Filii Dei” (Vicar of the Son of God, a title that Popes have never actually used) adds up to 666 (the Beast). You can try it yourself by stripping out the consonants and adding up the Roman numerals (V, I, D, L) as long as you remember that U=V in Latin. In school, I actually figured a way to get that number out of my own name, but I haven’t yet taken over the world. Mwa ha ha! :wink:

I saw this name on vatican.va

vatican.va/holy_father/paul_vi/apost_constitutions/documents/hf_p-vi_apc_19680111_bafianae_lt.html

Adorandi Dei Filii Vicarius et Procurator, quibus numen aeternum summam Ecclesiae …

Incidently adorandi sounds like ador in English???

Just check out this page.

vatican.va/holy_father/paul_vi/apost_constitutions/documents/hf_p-vi_apc_19680111_bafianae_lt.html

Every Bishop has a Vicar General who represents them fully in their power, would you say the Vicar General (Vicar of the Bishop) is against the Bishop or working with and for him?

:popcorn:

Your the AntiChrist!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:bigyikes:

Not yet :wink:

When Jesus was tempted in the wilderness by the devil in Matt. 4
It shows that the devil desires us to worship him, by kneeling down.
Mat 4:9 And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.
Mat 4:10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

In Revelation 13:15
The beast wants us to worship his image.(kiss means worship)
προσκυνέω
proskuneō
pros-koo-neh’-o
From G4314 and probably a derivative of G2965 (meaning to kiss, like a dog licking his master’s hand); to fawn or crouch to, that is, (literally or figuratively) prostrate oneself in homage (do reverence to, adore): - worship.

Rev 13:15 And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.

It is interesting that the vatican wants people to kiss the popes ring.
That is worshipping an image.
Obama did not want to do it. But Yasser Arafat did, and many others did.check this out:
google.se/search?q=kissing+the+pope’s+ring&biw=1536&bih=696&tbm=isch&imgil=sCK27W1A6aSDKM%253A%253Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fencrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com%252Fimages%253Fq%253Dtbn%253AANd9GcQvmYvZRlNMUGTXNQAySuNB54-dxlQt5fNtMySmfzHAdYqXh5dw%253B594%253B439%253BcfdUUZCs4uNW6M%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fcatholicism.about.com%25252Fod%25252Fbenedictintheholyland%25252Fig%25252FPhotos-of-2009-Holy-Land-Trip%25252FKissing-the-Ring-of-the-Pope.htm&source=iu&usg=__W89rmb8cEY3JPK_yQqdGOHs6k6s%3D&sa=X&ei=xUFrU_KCJYLNygOa34LYAg&ved=0CDAQ9QEwAQ#facrc=&imgdii=&imgrc=sCK27W1A6aSDKM%253A%3BcfdUUZCs4uNW6M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252F0.tqn.com%252Fd%252Fcatholicism%252F1%252F0%252FF%252F1%252F-%252F-%252FKissing_the_Ring_of_Pope_Benedict.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fcatholicism.about.com%252Fod%252Fbenedictintheholyland%252Fig%252FPhotos-of-2009-Holy-Land-Trip%252FKissing-the-Ring-of-the-Pope.htm%3B594%3B439

Not all kissing is worship

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.