Vice President Joe Biden Officiated His First Wedding for Same-Sex Couple

abcnews.go.com/Politics/vice-president-joe-biden-officiated-wedding-sex-couple/story?id=41058123
"Vice President Joe Biden Officiated His First Wedding for Same-Sex Couple

Vice President Joe Biden tweeted:

twitter.com/VP/status/760250205191012352
"Proud to marry Brian and Joe at my house. Couldn’t be happier, two longtime White House staffers, two great guys. "

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-QH1Op11XUnI/V6A8GTnEUBI/AAAAAAACiCg/X0h0V1AWC3Y12rRw_lKOajYVw7FaMviNQCLcB/s1600/optimized-rh0b.png"

From Congregation for The Doctrine of Faith - “CONSIDERATIONS REGARDING PROPOSALS
TO GIVE LEGAL RECOGNITION
TO UNIONS
BETWEEN HOMOSEXUAL PERSONS”

"IV. POSITIONS OF CATHOLIC POLITICIANS
WITH REGARD TO LEGISLATION IN FAVOUR
OF HOMOSEXUAL UNIONS

1. If it is true that all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians. Faced with legislative proposals in favour of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are to take account of the following ethical indications.

When legislation in favour of the recognition of homosexual unions is proposed for the first time in a legislative assembly, the Catholic law-maker has a moral duty to express his opposition clearly and publicly and to vote against it. To vote in favour of a law so harmful to the common good is gravely immoral.

When legislation in favour of the recognition of homosexual unions is already in force, the Catholic politician must oppose it in the ways that are possible for him and make his opposition known; it is his duty to witness to the truth. If it is not possible to repeal such a law completely, the Catholic politician, recalling the indications contained in the Encyclical Letter Evangelium vitae, “could licitly support proposals aimed at limiting the harm done by such a law and at lessening its negative consequences at the level of general opinion and public morality”, on condition that his “absolute personal opposition” to such laws was clear and well known and that the danger of scandal was avoided.(18) This does not mean that a more restrictive law in this area could be considered just or even acceptable; rather, it is a question of the legitimate and dutiful attempt to obtain at least the partial repeal of an unjust law when its total abrogation is not possible at the moment"

vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20030731_homosexual-unions_en.html

Bold text by me.

I wish them the best :slight_smile:

Joe needs prayers. To say more will get me banned.

Can a Catholic officiate any civil marriage? Seems it would be against the rules even if it was an opposite sex couple.

I believe a Catholic judge or JP can officiate at a civil marriage within the scope of their authority. In the case of a non-Catholic opposite-sex couple I don’t see a conflict with Catholic teaching. I would also believe that they can refer the couple to someone else if they choose not to perform a given marriage. I didn’t realize the Vice-Presidency conferred such authority, however. Another thumb-in-the-eye from the former altar boy.

IIRC, the answer was yes. The reason was that only Catholics are bound by canon law to marry in the Church, and marriage is a natural state for even the unbaptized. It is a sacrament for the baptized. So those outside the Church can be married by a Catholic as long as it does not contradict the faith (like a same-sex “marriage”, marrying before the age of consent, marriage by force or deception, etc).

Again, this is based on memory and not individual research done on my part.

Since Joe Biden, a Catholic, made such public statement in support of gay “marriage”, it is time for Cardinal Wuerl to take strong action.

:thumbsup:

I’m in the same boat. This is blatantly scandalous and a cause for Canon 915 to be enforced. That’s all I’ll say for fear of banning.

Go Joe! I really wish he would have run for president. :thumbsup:

I agree

I respectfully disagree. I see a huge conflict with Catholic teaching. This is the same individual who stated that he accepts the Church’s teaching that Abortion is wrong for himself but that it is not for him to enforce his faith or morality on other people. In officiating a marriage between two same sex couple he is blatantly questioning the Church’s teaching that marriage is a union of one man and one woman. The church can not continue to allow public officials who are Catholic to continue to challenge Church doctrine and teaching in this manner.

I guess what made me think otherwise was my annulment. Because we got married outside of the Church in a civil ceremony (Justice of the Peace) my annulment didn’t require an investigation and was approved in a week due to “non-canonical form” if I remember correctly. I don’t know anything about Cannon law though.

I’m in favor of same sex marriage for civil marriages and those religions that accept it but this is putting him in danger of excommunication. Obedience is required, even if you disagree (being Catholic doesn’t always feel good). I’d be surprised if it’s ignored by the Bishop.

In my experience it’s the former altar servers who often end up the most opposed to Catholic teaching, or even Christianity in general. Biden clearly has chosen to hold views on this and other issues in opposition to Catholic church teaching. And he’s somehow able to square that in his mind. Some people are able to do that. :shrug:

As for the couple, congrats to them and it was kind of Mr. Biden to open his home to them.

What zz912 said

Not greatly surprising.

This is among the other things we should think about when Hillary Clinton tells us we must “change our religion”. Some, of course, already have, and willingly.

Congrats to the happy New couple! Live long and prosper.

What a horrible condemnation of Altar Servers.

You are aware that this is a Catholic forum and that Biden claims to be Catholic? He is not an atheist, or agnostic, or of some other religion–he publicly states he is a Catholic and all Catholics are called to follow the faith, all of it.

Agree.It really is an exercise in temperance to not say what needs to be said,unless of course one doesn’t mind being banned from the forum.:eek:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.