Victim's son objects as Texas sets execution in hate crime death

Mr. Byrd has shown us the Christ that lives in him. I am also against the death penalty but I don’t know if I can say I would have his srength in a similar position.

And who speaks to us through the authority of our Bishops and Pope. No layman, priest, or arm-chair theologian, can make this claim.

No, new doesn’t equal bad. New doesn’t equal good either.

Actions have consequences. If you kill someone in cold blood (as much as you don’t want to admit it, the dude who was exectued recently WAS guilty, regardless of what people want to believe) you deserve to the same punishment.

The king of the Rascals (me, and I like that title!) gleefully decrees the above.

Long live this king, and the true King of Kings.

It’s pretty sad that you find the execution of a human being a humorous event, specially when God has provided us an example of Christlike behavior of compassion and forgiveness in the example provided by Ross Byrd.

Ironically, I think it’s pretty sad you can’t find humor in this too!

I’d be hard put to find five people I know, on either side of the death penalty debate, who could find something in this to laugh about.

My friend, humor can’t go over the on the computer very well. Second, just because YOU don’t find it funny doesn’t mean it’s “off topic”. Maybe you don’t know people who well tuned senses of humor. Does it make you feel better though? That you can’t find it funny? Are you trying to insult me?

I thank God I don’t rejoice in the death of another human being, nor think it is funny.

I don’t rejoice in the fact he is dead. In fact, I wish he-and the cop he shot-were still alive.

I’ll try to be more solemn. You try and think about the man he shot,his son, daughter-wife, mother. Little things like that.

Rick Perry has no faith in the federal government, but complete faith in the death penalty. There’s just room for error with the death penalty. This specific case may not be an example, but there are cases where the person is innocent. I’m against most death penalties for that reason.

I’m of the belief that it should only be used in rare cases (even then I don’t like it). This quote just sums up my feelings:

The ineptness of government, the mistakes it is capable of making, the innocent people convicted, the power rush judges might get from taking away life, the advantage of the rich over the poor are not the only things that influenced my change in attitude. The numbing effect on the executioner—that is, society—is also a factor. It contributes to the dehumanizing of society and the causal acceptance of the relative value of live. People realize this and most want no part in the process, except maybe out of vengeance.

Good to hear that you have the ability to reflect on your statements.

You try and think about the man he shot,his son, daughter-wife, mother. Little things like that.

I did.

The first thing I thought about when I read this article was about the son, then his father and the person who murdered him. It was easy for me to do, because I was awed by the compassion in the son’s statement, clearly expressed in the linked article;

You can’t fight murder with murder,” Ross Byrd, 32, told Reuters late Tuesday, the night before Wednesday’s scheduled execution of Lawrence Russell Brewer for one of the most notorious hate crimes in modern times.

Life in prison would have been fine. I know he can’t hurt my daddy anymore. I wish the state would take in mind that this isn’t what we want.

I try to imagine what a good father and example he was to his son, and while it saddens me that he’s no longer with us and had to die in such a horrible manner, it gives me joy to see that a father can raise a son like this and teach him such an enormous capacity for compassion.

You left off the first verse of the story: “In the temple he found those who were selling oxen and sheep and pigeons, and the money-changers at their business.”
And the verse following yours: "And he told those who sold the pigeons, “Take these things away; you shall not make my Father’s house a house of trade.

It was about commerce in the Temple, which has nothing to do with supporting or opposing the death penalty.

Executing murderers is not murder. It is justice.
If executing murderers is murder, then capturing criminals must be kidnapping, and jailing them would be unlawful confinement.

Capital punishment is a grave and serious thing. It is a form of justice that requires cool heads and rational thought in order to be carried out effectively.

Societies decided long ago that it was better that justice be dealt with as a collective rather than on the familial level. It is an act of compassion that family members be removed from having to make these decisions and mete out justice of any kind on their own. They will always be making their decision from their hearts rather than their minds. It would be impossible for them to do otherwise.

Because the justice system is removed from the emotional trauma of the crime, it has a better possibility to being blind to the influence of that trauma. There is the possibility then that justice can be meted out according to the law rather than according to the heart. Some families perhaps could not bear to have the blood of the murderer on their hands, others would want the murderer killed one hundred times over to express the depth of their loss. In either case, it is not justice being served but their grief that is being expressed.

He also left off the parts where a wrathful God demanded entire communities to be destroyed, and people violently dispersed to the four corners of the globe as punishment for their crimes and sins.

Jesus did what?

Actually Rascalking, this fellow is no the one who killed the cop.

This fellow and his friend thought it would be fun to kidnap a black man, chain him to the back of a truck and drive around bumpy roads until the remains of victim were not immediately recognizible as human anymore.

They were white supremicists, and they laughed as this man died.

I’ve thought about this intermittedly since it happened. I cannot understand how a human can be so depraved.

Also as a side note, the last meal rule in Texas has been changed because of this fellow…

npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=140728679

The controversy began after Lawrence Russell Brewer, who was executed on Wednesday for the hate crime slaying of James Byrd Jr. more than a decade ago, asked for two chicken fried steaks, a triple-meat bacon cheeseburger, fried okra, a pound of barbecue, three fajitas, a meat lover’s pizza, a pint of ice cream and a slab of peanut butter fudge with crushed peanuts. Prison officials said Brewer didn’t eat any of it.

Oh! Silly me. He’s not a cop killer, he’s arguably worse, a white supremacist. Well, I’m glad someone like that is dead.

When evil is punished, I am happy about it.

How many degrees of separation between Jesus and God are there, according to your theological stance being put forth here?

Is Jesus not God?
Is God not One?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.