VIDEO: Clinton Defends Byrd's KKK Ties: "He Was Trying To Get Elected"

Clinton Defends Byrd's KKK Ties: "He Was Trying To Get Elected"

"He once had a fleeting association with the Ku Klux Klan, what does that mean? I'll tell you what it means. He was a country boy from the hills and hollows from West Virginia. He was trying to get elected," former President Bill Clinton said of Sen. Robert Byrd.

"And maybe he did something he shouldn't have done come and he spent the rest of his life making it up. And that's what a good person does. There are no perfect people. There are certainly no perfect politicians," he added.

realclearpolitics.com/video/2010/07/02/clinton_defends_byrds_kkk_ties_he_was_trying_to_get_elected.html

Doesn't it make you just feel so warm and fuzzy inside how abundandly forgiving these compassionate liberals are to everyone regardless of their political affiliation?

cough*stromthurmond*cough

C'mon, don't you realize democrats can never be racist? Only they decide what is racist...for example, opposing an Obama policy is racist, but Jesse Jackson calling someone a "Hymie" is not.

Well, it appears nobody's disputing you so maybe you're right. :D

[quote="exoflare, post:1, topic:204180"]
realclearpolitics.com/video/2010/07/02/clinton_defends_byrds_kkk_ties_he_was_trying_to_get_elected.html

Doesn't it make you just feel so warm and fuzzy inside how abundandly forgiving these compassionate liberals are to everyone regardless of their political affiliation?

cough*stromthurmond*cough

[/quote]

Byrd made a mistake in his immature youth and, as Clinton pointed out, he spent the rest of his life making up for and renouncing it. Strom Thurmond never expressed any such remorse.

I'm not sure which is more surprising.. the fact that someone else was actually willing to defend this, or the long hours our resident anonymous one-star troll with three different accounts is putting in today. :o

It seems my original reply has been deleted. Allow me to rephrase myself in more friendly terms.

I personally find it hard to believe that somebody would defend this. But this is just my personal opinion and based on my own narrow-minded point of view.

Also, does anybody else find it strange that so many threads here are getting one-star ratings three at a time but there aren't enough responses to account for this? At least three different people's keyboards must be malfunctioning, blesss their little hearts! :D

Hugs and sunshine, everyone!! :grouphug::hug3::heaven:

[quote="EmperorNapoleon, post:4, topic:204180"]
Byrd made a mistake in his immature youth and, as Clinton pointed out, he spent the rest of his life making up for and renouncing it. Strom Thurmond never expressed any such remorse.

[/quote]

At what point in his life did he start "making up for and renouncing it"?

When he filibustered and voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1964, or voted against the confirmation of Thurgood Marshall (1967) or Clarence Thomas (1991)? Even by Byrd's own accounts, his deseg views didn't change until the 1980's, when his grandson died and he joined the Baptist church. Not what I'd call "the rest of his life".

The myth of Byrd as a genteel southern gentleman who made one mistake a long time ago is bunk.

But hey, if he espouses the same political views, throw history and common sense out of the window, and use the "tu quque" argument.

Bon fait!!!

[quote="scipio337, post:7, topic:204180"]
When he filibustered and voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1964...

[/quote]

He voted for the Civil Rights Act of 1968.

...or voted against the confirmation of Thurgood Marshall (1967)

[/quote]

Ok, as it appears that many Republicans would do today. It has nothing to do with race.

...or Clarence Thomas (1991)

[/quote]

He opposed Thomas because of his character not his race. Testimony was heard that Thomas had a tendency to sexually harass his subordinates and Thomas' only response was that it was some conspiracy involving the "high-tech lynching of uppity blacks."

At what point in his life did he start "making up for and renouncing it"?

When he filibustered and voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1964, or voted against the confirmation of Thurgood Marshall (1967) or Clarence Thomas (1991)? Even by Byrd's own accounts, his deseg views didn't change until the 1980's, when his grandson died and he joined the Baptist church. Not what I'd call "the rest of his life".

The myth of Byrd as a genteel southern gentleman who made one mistake a long time ago is bunk.

But hey, if he espouses the same political views, throw history and common sense out of the window, and use the "tu quque" argument.

Bon fait!!!

[/quote]

:thumbsup: :clapping: :thumbsup:

[quote="EmperorNapoleon, post:8, topic:204180"]
He voted for the Civil Rights Act of 1968.

[/quote]

And???

Source?

Are those crickets I hear?? Why not bring up Thurmond again?

[quote="exoflare, post:6, topic:204180"]

Also, does anybody else find it strange that so many threads here are getting one-star ratings three at a time but there aren't enough responses to account for this? At least three different people's keyboards must be malfunctioning, blesss their little hearts! :D

[/quote]

Robert Byrd's political history has been public knowledge for a long time. His youthful flirtation with the KKK is not new news. And i don't see anyone "defending" his memebrship in the KKK. And, as someone else said, he's spent the rest of his career trying to make up for it.

As for your thread getting one star, who knows? Maybe the people giving the one star agree with you that Clinton's defense of Byrd is problematic. Don't take it personally.

Last night I was watching the O'Reilly Factor talk about this video and they said that Byrd did repent of his misdeeds much later in life. However what they said was the comments that Bill Clinton were saying about Byrd regarding why he was a KKK member and it seemed that Bill were trying to excuse Byrd, if you will. I'm betting that if Byrd was Republican the media response would be a LOT different.

Personally I don't believe he gave up the feelings he had towards minorities but it's going to be up to him to answer for it, doesn't really matter here on earth anymore.

I find it ironic though, that the Democrats have historically been the home of the KKK. And now there is footage of the leader of the New Black Panther party, the one with the billy club in the voting video, talking about killing all white people and supporting that same party.

hotair.com/archives/2010/07/06/video-the-nice-young-man-eric-holder-left-off-the-hook/

Interesting read.

bellaonline.com/articles/art21563.asp

[quote="gnjsdad, post:11, topic:204180"]
As for your thread getting one star, who knows? Maybe the people giving the one star agree with you that Clinton's defense of Byrd is problematic. Don't take it personally.

[/quote]

My post wasn't very long so I'd appreciate it if you read it in its entirety before responding... The strange thing was not simply that "my thread got a one star rating" as this happens all the time to different threads here and there. The strange thing was that around that time (yesterday) there was a sudden occurence of a few threads with barely any responses yet going immediately from unrated to having THREE separate one-star ratings, but no corresponding sudden upswing in responses. This is what made it appear suspicious, not just with this thread but some other ones in this subforum.

I can tell you that if you lived in Southeast Indiana between 1920 and 1955 and were not part of the KKK you could forget holding an elected office or owning a successful business, so there is some truth to what Clinton’s overall message was.

Well that makes it okay then I guess.

[quote="canadianguy1143, post:12, topic:204180"]
Last night I was watching the O'Reilly Factor talk about this video and they said that Byrd did repent of his misdeeds much later in life. However what they said was the comments that Bill Clinton were saying about Byrd regarding why he was a KKK member and it seemed that Bill were trying to excuse Byrd, if you will. I'm betting that if Byrd was Republican the media response would be a LOT different.

[/quote]

You better believe it would be different. Remember what the media did when Trent Lott tried to flatter his OLD friend Strom Thurmond on his birthday. The press jumped all over it. Is there a double standard in our MSM? You bet.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.