Video game euthanasia reference

I’d just like to randomly point out that Trauma Center: Second Opinion on the Wii (and, I would suppose, the game that it was remade from on the DS, Trauma Center: Under the Knife) has a reference to euthanasia in it. :eek:

But never fear! The surgery game talks about a “death doctor” who apparently euthanizes terminally ill patients. The game’s protaganist, Dr. Derek Stiles, finds out that this death doctor is actually his friend. This doctor says that he is helping to take away their suffering. Stiles is terrified by this, and eventually the “death doctor” learns to value life and stops practicing euthanasia. A good thing, too, considering his terminally ill little sister, whom Stiles happens to successfully operate on, saving her life.

Isn’t this a wonderful and rare example of respect for life in video games? By the way, this is one of the most excellent games out there, with virtually no objectionable material (save for one crabby doctor who occasionally uses profanity). If you don’t cringe at the sight of blood, I would most definitely recommend this to anyone. It makes me happy just thinking about it! :smiley:

This is funny… is euthanasia legal in Japan?

Apparently it’s been approved since last year. catholicnewsagency.com/new.php?n=10712

Way to go, putting in spoilers without alerting us to it :smiley:

I played the game, and I liked it.

Yes. It isn’t really that far into the game where Dr. Stiles’ friend changes his ways either.

Oops. Yeah, sorry if I spoiled anything!

While we’re on the subject, anyone have New Blood? What do you think of it in comparison to the first game? I thought it was a little bit better. Gameplay seemed more variable, although it could have differentiated itself from the first game, like by adding new tools or something. Would’ve liked to have seen that.

I don’t know, though. The first game seems so much more memorable! Maybe that’s just because it was the first I played in the series.

I have the new DS one, as well, but haven’t gotten around to playing it yet.

God bless you! :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.