Video game giant funds fake Christian protest of ‘Inferno’ game

CNA:

Video game giant funds fake Christian protest of ‘Inferno’ game

Los Angeles, Calif., Jun 9, 2009 / 04:52 am (CNA).- Video game giant Electronic Arts has admitted it funded a group of fake protesters who pretended to be Christians as a publicity stunt to spur interest in its upcoming action game very loosely based on Dante’s “Inferno.”

The game company hired a group of almost 20 people to stand outside the Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles on Wednesday, the Associated Press says. The phony protesters passed out amateurish material and held signs bearing slogans such as “Trade in Your PlayStation for a PrayStation,” “Hell is not a Game” and “EA = Electronic Anti-Christ.”

Holly Rockwood, an EA spokeswoman, said the charade was arranged by a viral marketing agency hired by the company.

A web page in the crude style of 1990s web design was also created in connection with the stunt. It depicted crosses crushing the word “sin” and placed images of the King James Bible among phony condemnations and thinly-veiled promotions of the game.

“A video game hero does not have the authority to save and damn… ONLY GOD CAN JUDGE. and he will not judge the sinners who play this game kindly,” the site said.

I vaguely remember the game release and thinking “don’t these folks have anything better to protest”?

I’m glad this ruse has been exposed, now whenever the news reports ‘Christians’ doing something especially silly I will assume they are hired impostors.

Ooohhh…how I loathe viral marketing. I can already see the Antichrist propagated by a legion of fanboys not too disimilar to it’s videogaming counterparts.

I just hope this isn’t going to repeat the usual spiel of depicting Christians/religious people as self-righteous egomaniacs…slaying heathens and losing their faith in the end. All carefully planned to portray the Faith as a sad delusion directly or indirectly. I’ve seen this recurring theme all too frequently and I’m getting sick of it.

I’ve had my fair share of games offensive to my Catholic sensibilities. Which is probably why my interest in videogaming is fading rapidly.

Well since the game has not been released yet, I will reserve my judgment of it. Regardless, I do not approve of this approach mainly because it was all fake. I mean come on EA, if you want to find some fundies to protest your game just go to YouTube and invite the many stupid street preachers you could find there. I’ve clashed with them many times enough to know that they despise video games upon sight. :rolleyes:

Let’s pray that they do something like that instead of resorting to such misleading and dishonest methods of advertising. It’s bad enough that real people like that still exist and making a bad name for Christianity without posers reinforcing that image. :mad:

I recently met with the EA exec who’s in charge of joint-ventures with Hollywood, comic book companies, and toy manufacturers. He informed me that this game will be made into a major motion picture, and he described it as Constantine-meets-Dante scenario.

Hmm, Constantine you say? Sounds interesting. I’m actually rather fond of the movie. :slight_smile:
If they’re going to make that into movie though, the should at least push through first with their film adaptation of American McGee’s Alice. We haven’t even seen as much as a trailer since they announced that. -.-;;

By admitting that the protest itself was a marketing ploy, EA gets even more publicity (this time free). Smart move. :rolleyes: :shrug:

Same here. I used to be a fan of several popular RPG series until they’ve gone that way… and what decent games out there are being rehashed over and over again (same thing really, just different graphics and colors).

I used to want to get involved with video games, simply because of the excellent medium for storytelling and artistic expression. (You have to admit video games ARE a good medium. They’re like a canvas before the artist makes his/her painting)

Of course, I didn’t want to get involved with games like Rockstar + such. Oh, and don’t go to Gametrailers.com. You’ll see some demeaning stuff in some of their trailers and ads.

This development seems to take things a bit far. Just a bit of an insult.

I think society just needs to sit down and get its metaphysics straight.

Really? I download most cutscenes and released video game trailers from them. I have hardly seen anything of what you’re describing. :shrug:

Not surprising. Sin, whether its lies or sex or whatever, sells.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.