Video Game Sex

The other day I played a video game with a sex option. If the person you offered it to accepts, a message pops up saying stuff like “You had a wondurful time and it was a great experience.” There was no animation or picture or anything that was inapropriate. (Me being kind of dim) I made it a goal to have as much sex as possible. I was just wondering if that was considered a venial or mortal sin.

Why would it be? In a video game, you do all sorts of stuff you wouldn’t do in real life. I’ve played RTS games where I’ve dropped nuclear bombs on cities and such. Its just a game, its not real, no one gets hurt. Same here.

No one would not want to do that.

Sometimes I wonder if the excuse “it’s not real.” is a good one. I think as Christians, we need to be the salt of the earth. Jesus said,“You are the salt of the earth: but if the salt has lost his flavor, with which shall it be salted? it is thereafter good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men. You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.” Mt 5: 13-15

This doesn’t mean we can’t have fun or that we’re forbidden to have a good time. There are plenty of fun activities we can enjoy. However, it’s always beneficial to reflect upon why something is bringing us pleasure. What are you getting out of it? What is the unspoken moral message of a game that makes something sacred between spouses into something casual strangers can “pretend” they’re doing? For example, you can ask yourself why you wanted to make it a goal “to have as much sex as possible.” Another good question to reflect upon is, why would we be enjoying simulating something that if done in real life would be considered a grave sin?

That being said, I don’t know if what you are engaging in is considered sinful or not. I would talk to a priest or a spiritual director. However, a good rule of thumb is if you have any question as to whether you should partake in an activity, is to ask yourself whether you would do the action in question if Our Lord was present beside you.

This sounds like a bad idea. What is the game, anyway? Sounds trashy.

I am pretty sure that it was a sin but I am just wondering if it was a mortal sin. (I want to know if I have to go to confession soon)

Well, you should still go to Confession anyway. For something to be mortal it has to be grave matter, you have to know it’s grave matter, and you have to fully consent to it. Now, the only way I can see it being grave matter as described is if you were lusting when you were doing this, or otherwise indulging a fantasy by proxy. If not, then likely it’s just venial since since it offends the virtues of chastity and purity.

Yes it was potentially sinful. If you felt guilty about it then you knew it was wrong. Go to confession. The priest will help you sort out if it’s mortal or venial. Yes there is potential that this was grave matter. Again only a priest in confession can tell you for sure.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.