Video games & the Catholic Family (and Catholic men)

[quote="James924, post:1, topic:252852"]
I was just wondering what the consensus was on video games among catholics. I happened upon a great article on the issue here that I recommend people read.

remnantnewspaper.com/Archives/2010-0715-video-games-lavin.htm

So, if you're a family, do you let your kids play video games? Ought grown Catholic men to play video games? Ought grown Catholic men who have families of which they need to focus on being the head?

What are your thoughts?

[/quote]

Violent video games are destroying people's minds. These point and shoot games were designed by military people in Britain to help lower a soldier's resistance to picking up a gun and firing it at another human being. Then they figured, hey, we don't even have to begin training psychotic murderers ourselves. We can just mass produce these "games" and give them to kids. Then all we have to do is show them how to operate the real hardware of a machine gun and we've got our raw meat.

Give your kids something more creative to do, like playing a musical instrument or singing in a chorus. Those are better ways to socialize with other kids than having them sit around a TV pretending to kill each other over and over again.

Games like that weren’t meant for kids in the first place or have you forgotten there are these little groups called the ESRB.

I guess old games like Cowboys and Indians as well as Cops and Robbers were sinful then. Oh boy, wait till the old folks get a load of this. :rolleyes:

[quote="Lost_Wanderer, post:22, topic:252852"]
Games like that weren't meant for kids in the first place or have you forgotten there are these little groups called the ESRB.

I guess old games like Cowboys and Indians as well as Cops and Robbers were sinful then. Oh boy, wait till the old folks get a load of this. :rolleyes:

[/quote]

These games were specifically meant for kids. Larry Bird was once in a commercial where he was supposed to be missing all these shots, and no matter how hard he tried to miss a shot, it took him like 20 attempts just to MISS one, when he was trying to miss one. The point is, that if you practice something over and over and over again, it becomes part of your mentality.

You seem to think that Satan doesn't really exist. Don't you think that if he wanted to start to get people to kill each other, and fight each other, he'd use whatever means he could to get them to practice doing it all the time. Well, that is what these games are for.

[quote="joshrp, post:21, topic:252852"]
Violent video games are destroying people's minds. These point and shoot games were designed by military people in Britain to help lower a soldier's resistance to picking up a gun and firing it at another human being. Then they figured, hey, we don't even have to begin training psychotic murderers ourselves. We can just mass produce these "games" and give them to kids. Then all we have to do is show them how to operate the real hardware of a machine gun and we've got our raw meat.

Give your kids something more creative to do, like playing a musical instrument or singing in a chorus. Those are better ways to socialize with other kids than having them sit around a TV pretending to kill each other over and over again.

[/quote]

Yes, clearly. My straight A sons really have had their minds destroyed.:rolleyes: again, another all or nothing poster. Many people are well rounded, possessing the ability to walk And chew gum at the same time. Just because one plays games does not mean one does not play instruments, sing, participate in sports, etc .

My sons do all kinds of things. Video games are only one aspect. None has a desire to join the military. However, one does like guns. He likes to shoot targets and wants to go hunting. Nothing wrong with that!:thumbsup:

[quote="Catholic90, post:24, topic:252852"]
Yes, clearly. My straight A sons really have had their minds destroyed.:rolleyes: again, another all or nothing poster. Many people are well rounded, possessing the ability to walk And chew gum at the same time. Just because one plays games does not mean one does not play instruments, sing, participate in sports, etc .

My sons do all kinds of things. Video games are only one aspect. None has a desire to join the military. However, one does like guns. He likes to shoot targets and wants to go hunting. Nothing wrong with that!:thumbsup:

[/quote]

Do they play the murder simulator type games?

[quote="joshrp, post:25, topic:252852"]
Do they play the murder simulator type games?

[/quote]

They play rpg war strategy games. They have yet to kill anyone. They actually understand the difference between a video game and reality. They are smart like that.

Ok, well I’m just saying that the specific point and shoot first person shooter games were specifically designed for the purpose of mass producing killers. I don’t know much about the strategy war games. I am specifically talking about the fps games.

On the other hand, there is no creativity involved in any video games. There is no creative thinking involved at all. This is a problem for kids because it allows there minds to just zone out, and degenerate. I’m all for focusing on reality. These games really have no recreational value because they just drain a person’s ability to think. It reduces their thoughtfulness in the real world.

[quote="joshrp, post:23, topic:252852"]
These games were specifically meant for kids.

[/quote]

No. Do you even read the back? I wiki Left 4 Dead 2, my only favorite First-Person Shooter game, and it says Rated M for Mature. You know the age requirement for games with that rating? 18+ (Heck, you don't even kill people in this game. You kill zombies.)

[quote="joshrp, post:23, topic:252852"]
You seem to think that Satan doesn't really exist. Don't you think that if he wanted to start to get people to kill each other, and fight each other, he'd use whatever means he could to get them to practice doing it all the time. Well, that is what these games are for.

[/quote]

I play lots of games like that yet still can't go through the Time Crisis shooting game at the local arcade without spending a hundred pesos worth of credits. My aim is that bad and that's not even taking into account my very poor eyesight.

Practice? HAH! :rolleyes:

Excuse me? Ability to think? More like the complete opposite. I challenge you to play any popular RPG without using your head. You won’t get far, I promise you.

And speaking from two years of running an internet cafe, you’d be surprised at the amount of strategies I’ve seen gaming groups employ when playing FPS.

And creative? Obviously you’ve never watched videos or at least read about how these games are conceptualized and made. As with all self-righteous critics, you don’t know what you’re talking about.

[quote="Lost_Wanderer, post:30, topic:252852"]
Excuse me? Ability to think? More like the complete opposite. I challenge you to play any popular RPG without using your head. You won't get far, I promise you.

And speaking from two years of running an internet cafe, you'd be surprised at the amount of strategies I've seen gaming groups employ when playing FPS.

And creative? Obviously you've never watched videos or at least read about how these games are conceptualized and made. As with all self-righteous critics, you don't know what you're talking about.

[/quote]

True creativity, in any real sense, has to do with the ability of a human being to master the principles of the real physical universe and apply them to increasing their ability to exist in the universe as a species. We need scientists and engineers, not geeks playing games. Games require only reflex and memorization. This is not creativity.

Actually, I originally wanted to produce video games for a living, and I actually started majoring in Computer Science for a little. Then I realized it was a complete waste of my time and that science was more important thing to do for the benefit of other people than making games that were just going to give people a fantasy to wrap their minds around instead of something useful and fulfilling for their lives.

[quote="joshrp, post:31, topic:252852"]
True creativity, in any real sense, has to do with the ability of a human being to master the principles of the real physical universe and apply them to increasing their ability to exist in the universe as a species.

[/quote]

Says you. Following your logic, a plumber is more creative than Pablo Picasso. Take your old-school philosophy somewhere else.

[quote="joshrp, post:31, topic:252852"]
We need scientists and engineers, not geeks playing games. Games require only reflex and memorization. This is not creativity.

[/quote]

Please, it took me more than reflex and memorization to kill this thing.

I’ve seen some pro-science geeks reach the same conclusion about religion.

However, you do realize that humans aren’t robots that exist purely for production’s sake right? We like to have too. The problem for you though is that we don’t all want to play the same game.

Unlike you, I can respect that.

[quote="Lost_Wanderer, post:33, topic:252852"]
Says you. Following your logic, a plumber is more creative than Pablo Picasso. Take your old-school philosophy somewhere else.

Please, it took me more than reflex and memorization to kill this thing.

[/quote]

Pablo Picasso was a degenerate. He had a bet going with Bertrand Russell over who could sleep with the most women. Bertrand Russell won the bet, because he actually paid the woman to do it with him. That really pissed off Picasso.

A plumber who knows how to do his job, and makes discoveries on how to do is better, is much more creative than Picasso, who was a total louse and degenerate human being in general.

[quote="Lost_Wanderer, post:34, topic:252852"]
I've seen some pro-science geeks reach the same conclusion about religion.

However, you do realize that humans aren't robots that exist purely for production's sake right? We like to have too. The problem for you though is that we don't all want to play the same game.

Unlike you, I can respect that.

[/quote]

Well, see, that is what you become when you play these games. You become a robot.

A human being is different from a beast in that he can know principles which give him mastery over nature. If you are not exercising this ability, then you are not being fully human. People who makes these games don't want you to be human, they want you to think and act like an animal or a robot.

[quote="joshrp, post:35, topic:252852"]
Pablo Picasso was a degenerate. He had a bet going with Bertrand Russell over who could sleep with the most women. Bertrand Russell won the bet, because he actually paid the woman to do it with him. That really pissed off Picasso.

[/quote]

Right, an ad hom is the perfect argument to use against the entirely different subject that is artistic legacy.

Didn't I tell you to stop proving my points?

[quote="joshrp, post:36, topic:252852"]
Well, see, that is what you become when you play these games. You become a robot.

[/quote]

Robots are different from beasts. Robots don't 'think', they only act upon a code. I thought you were a computer expert?

On the other hand, mastery of games require more than what either robotic AI's or animal brute force can provide.

It requires... style. :cool:

[quote="joshrp, post:36, topic:252852"]
A human being is different from a beast in that he can know principles which give him mastery over nature. If you are not exercising this ability, then you are not being fully human. People who makes these games don't want you to be human, they want you to think and act like an animal or a robot.

[/quote]

Really? So far all games I've played never failed in challenging me to think, plan, predict, and construct. That is how you master a game sir. When I stumble across an enemy I cannot defeat, I need to THINK of what I'm doing wrong. I need to PLAN a strategy that is both effective and stylish. I need to PREDICT my opponent's moves. I need to CONSTRUCT a proper character build (such as finding armor, skills, stats, and weapons).

[quote="Lost_Wanderer, post:37, topic:252852"]
Right, an ad hom is the perfect argument to use against the entirely different subject that is artistic legacy.

Didn't I tell you to stop proving my points?

Robots are different from beasts. Robots don't 'think', they only act upon a code. I thought you were a computer expert?

On the other hand, mastery of games require more than what either robotic AI's or animal brute force can provide.

It requires... style. :cool:

Really? So far all games I've played never failed in challenging me to think, plan, predict, and construct. That is how you master a game sir. When I stumble across an enemy I cannot defeat, I need to THINK of what I'm doing wrong. I need to PLAN a strategy that is both effective and stylish. I need to PREDICT my opponent's moves. I need to CONSTRUCT a proper character build (such as finding armor, skills, stats, and weapons).

[/quote]

Is this your passion? To play games? If you want to play games, fine. But do you have any other interests? What is it that you really want to do in life?

[quote="joshrp, post:38, topic:252852"]
Is this your passion? To play games? If you want to play games, fine. But do you have any other interests? What is it that you really want to do in life?

[/quote]

I'm a writer good sir. :cool: Games are in fact just one source of inspiration. I like playing games because the concepts I've seen in them can be easily taken, mixed with others, and then cast into a world that is of my own creation.

[quote="Lost_Wanderer, post:39, topic:252852"]
I'm a writer good sir. :cool: Games are in fact just one source of inspiration. I like playing games because the concepts I've seen in them can be easily taken, mixed with others, and then cast into a world that is of my own creation.

[/quote]

Cool. I'm a writer too. Do you write stories or do you write any nonfiction as well? Do you read any of the classics like Don Quixote or Gangantua and Pantagruel. Those are two of my favorites. Pretty hilarious stuff. But what sort of stuff are you into? What books do you read? What particular games do you play?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.