Video i made for youth group

Hello, i just want some opinions on this video i made for my church youth group. i sent it to the pastor for approval, so i hope he’ll let me show it.

I am also considering starting an internet show, where i talk about movies, video games, and various other things. i took the persona of a “lame christian alternative”, as i cant act, dont have very good equipment, and im very inexperiaced in editting. what are your thoughts on this? also, im planning to stockpile several videos and release them either once a week or every two weeks (having an organized schedual is important to me) so dont expect to see me anytime soon.

this is my first "real’ video and i would like some opinions and any comment you feel would make it better

i also made an hour long plot summery of a lesser known tv show, if anyone is interested in it then ill post that too. (its not very good)

p.s. why is there no spell check on this site?

Hey I_R,

My first impression was that the video is quite lengthy, I personally would limit videos to 5 minutes, generally - even if it means release them in parts, such as over a few weeks.

The overall impression I get from watching the video is that I feel you have researched the topic of your video very well. :thumbsup: At least, I watched some of it, hearing all of it, as my browser is slower than a sloth).

The video is presented it in an informally informative manner, which I like and the style of which I may choose to borrow, should I present (instead of film/record without presentation), videos in the future.

At 6m3s you kinda look tired! Maybe this is because of the poor light, which I'd hope to see improved in future videos if at all possible - I appreciate you're not a professional movie director in a studio!

I do not notice one compliment or positive remark before the eighth minute - and at that only a brief one (think I heard 2-3 pieces of positive feedback overall), but perhaps this is just my faulty recollection.

I didn't notice you present your view on whether any of the films' content present any Catholic morals at all, assuming that you've watched the movies of course - which is an obvious requisite for the reviewing thereof.

I notice the video isn't publicly accessible from your profile. I'd suggest you make it so for a wider audience, regardless of the fact that it is deemed just a test.

I'd suggest impartiality in particular in your commentary on the third

Addressing the content of your forum post, I hope I've given you the feedback you asked. I'm sure your pastor will not veto your proposal to show it to the church youth group. You may want to ask him, too, for feedback on the video and its scope of outreach to the intended audience. Though informative, I feel it a little too specific and lengthy for its intended audience.

I think an Internet show regarding the review of "movies, video games, and various other things" is a great idea - Holy Mother Church needs good reviewers and quality reviews on today's media and I would certainly subscribe to get information about recommended reads/watches (I'm personally not inclined to gaming, but I know many who are, so could be of use to a wide audience).

You then move to the past tense in your sentence about the ontaking of "the persona of a "lame christian [sic] alternative"...". This I find quite vague. You state your inexperience at editing, which I feel you handled quite well in the original.

Ah, now I see that you intend to "release them... once a week or every two weeks", which I failed to notice, due to watching the video and writing my review concurrently - hence the suggestion earlier.

Having an organized schedule is important to many, in preparation for college today - for example - I acquired a diary to help keep organized. I pray that it works for me as it is important to you!

Well done on your first real video. In summary, it was well presented (surprising considering extended length) and highly informative, but a little specific.

I'd be interested in providing feedback on your "hour long ploy summery" [sic], but only send me it if you find my feedback constructive to you. Despite it not being "very good" you can always improve - and "... haste makes mistakes" (Proverbs 19:2, NLT)

P.S. I'm not sure why there's not spell check - but my sloth browser does [so when I put "spellcheck" sic it prompts me to put "spell check" instead thereof.

Finally, back on to the video itself, I would compliment your inclusion of video, which the limited bits (as has already been explained supra) of what I saw was somewhat well-edited.

I sincerely hope you found my feedback constructive for future video making and any augmentation you may decide to make of the "kids' movie review".

Pax!

personally, i prefer longer videos. it gives me time to explain and i feel it gives the viewer more “bang for there buck” or view in this case

At 6m3s you kinda look tired! Maybe this is because of the poor light, which I’d hope to see improved in future videos if at all possible - I appreciate you’re not a professional movie director in a studio!

yea, my lighting is the sun and it got a little cloudy at that point

I do not notice one compliment or positive remark before the eighth minute - and at that only a brief one (think I heard 2-3 pieces of positive feedback overall), but perhaps this is just my faulty recollection.

at some points i felt i needed to give my opinion, but i tryed to limit it as i plan to revisit the movies as i mentioned

I didn’t notice you present your view on whether any of the films’ content present any Catholic morals at all, assuming that you’ve watched the movies of course - which is an obvious requisite for the reviewing thereof.

you know, i wanted to include that in the video but i could not work it in so ill save that for another day. the movies do have christian themes (watership down and plague dogs made it an alligory (spelling?), felidae featured a christian-esk cat cult (i cant wait to get into that))

I notice the video isn’t publicly accessible from your profile. I’d suggest you make it so for a wider audience, regardless of the fact that it is deemed just a test.

as i said, im going to stockpile videos as it takes me a long time to make them.

Addressing the content of your forum post, I hope I’ve given you the feedback you asked

i did and thank you very much

I’m sure your pastor will not veto your proposal to show it to the church youth group. You may want to ask him, too, for feedback on the video and its scope of outreach to the intended audience. Though informative, I feel it a little too specific and lengthy for its intended audience.

we talked a little about it and it is going to lead to “why would the movie makers make such a movie” (espesally felidae)

You then move to the past tense in your sentence about the ontaking of “the persona of a “lame christian [sic] alternative”…”. This I find quite vague. You state your inexperience at editing, which I feel you handled quite well in the original.

i plan to explain in a video intro of me that ill be the alternative of people like AVGN and TGWTG. as i wont keep the fact that im devout Catholic a secet, and i wont curse

Well done on your first real video. In summary, it was well presented (surprising considering extended length) and highly informative, but a little specific

i know, its a little bit of an oddball video

I’d be interested in providing feedback on your “hour long ploy summery” [sic], but only send me it if you find my feedback constructive to you. Despite it not being “very good” you can always improve - and “… haste makes mistakes” (Proverbs 19:2, NLT)

your feedback is great, ill post it. keep in mind that i have it on another account, and i plan to do a review of the show itself which i want to release publicly first.

Finally, back on to the video itself, I would compliment your inclusion of video, which the limited bits (as has already been explained supra) of what I saw was somewhat well-edited.

thank you, a very time consuming process but it looks better.

I sincerely hope you found my feedback constructive for future video making and any augmentation you may decide to make of the “kids’ movie review”.

Pax!

i did and thanks again

AoFW part 1 (im going to redo this one, this is the worse its uphill from here)
part 2
part 3
part 4
part 5

p.s. did you see the after credit thing in my kids movies video?

Hey again,

Will watch and comment as I watch, similarly hope those remarks are just as constructive…

And that plot thing you mentioned.

Inclusion of video really does make it look better. Well edited and seamlessly put together, that’s the word I was looking for! :smiley:

I liked the update at the end, can’t believe I didn’t mention anything of it… Very courteous so to do and professional too - it kinda reminds me of the emendations in a newspaper - very similar to this. I’m glad you included, or, rather, updated your findings to reflect on the present. I think it is of use to have found a child-friendly version of the third(?) film.

On the whole, a real good attempt at a first video. :slight_smile:

In this video, not so much in the other, I really like your inflection, you have a decent voice, not too boring not too excitably distracting.

Very good use of editing software. AGAIN! I plan to dabble about with some video footage I can download or something, some time over the summer holidays.

I'm gonna subscribe to your channel, depending on which one you use.

Would you venture in anything other than film reviews? If you research as well on topics such as the Sacraments you'd be quite an evangelist! Just an idea... I might even opt to do that. Already got one video which is an excerpt from a papal homily (quite inspiring, I think - this one here - I recommend you check it, if you haven't already :) ).

PART I
You start off your first part of the video with a criticism, normally that would put me off a video. I like positivity, from the outset, even if only brief.

The implied death is a bit gruesome. I agree with you on the laugh. Five times?!?!! Wow, that'd put me off from watching the series (you Americans call it seasons, us brits usually call it a series *).

Just a *SUBJECTIVE ** observation: you may have wanted to explain the whole why "the whole humans are evil thing" is so.

Its great how you managed to edit the video so that it runs constantly throughout. I'd prefer a face presenting though. Not to mention that this method excludes lip-readers (of those whom are hearing impaired).

I'd try get rid of the video error thing if you ever re-uploaded this video - even if it means just a black screen would be preferential.

I like your slight sarcasm when mentioning the chlorine in the water in part 1! "Oh gee, I wonder what will happen" - you sound so enthusiastic!!! ;)

N.B.: You spelled summary wrong in the title of your video. Up to you if you wish to change it...

Ah, you mention "good Samaritan", finally some of the Catholic morals thing I was after! :)

Weasel is quite annoying. The owl is quite wise, or, at least, I think so. You seem to be pessimistic of her. I like the accent of the toad.

I like your inclusion of the assault on the beehive.

I lol'd at your "You got that right" comment. I must concur. :P

I think your remark about it being too much for a kid to deal with a family dying of fire.

PART II

Sorry for the lack of brevity. I just kinda noticed, and I'm only just on the second part!

You say it was the worst part. I don't mind it.

I like the start to the second part. No criticism!! Yayy!

Very observant, about the shotgun and about the digging of the hole and it changing sizes. You're right about subtlety. I liked the inappropriateness of Weasel's laugh this time!

I'll post my reflections on the rest of PART II as well as III-V after I've watched my favourite TV show! ^_^*

wow, thanks again. your a big help. i also wanted to do a review of the actual show and release that first.

Thanks, man! =]
Glad to be of service!!

“Freely ye give” etc!

It feels as if I’ve got writer’s block so won’t review the rest until I’m back on form and have LOADS of time! Wow that video is almost an hour. You’re quite passionate at what you do. I commend it! :slight_smile:

I might download Weasel's laugh for my SMS notification on my mobile... Very tempted! :p

im in the process of writting the felidae review. for me writting is the hardest part, but its going smoothly at the moment. i dont know when i might be done with it (school is really going to slow this down) and it seems it will be a tad longer then my last video as im using like two more pages. its times like this why i hate youtubes 15 min. limit.

My first impressions:

I don't like the name it looks like at first appearnace its going to be against Christianity.

Its way to Long.

You do make some nice cutaways although becareful with Copyright.

i know, but my content is not

Its way to Long.

again, this goes to personal preferance as i like laonger videos

You do make some nice cutaways although becareful with Copyright.

that is the hardest part. im not sure if its enough just to say who owns what.

when it comes to videos, I prefer them to be short in time but rich in content.

Too long videos which are boring in content may cause audience’s attention get away. That’s why I make my videos with some video editing program to make it lovely in effects and short in content, maybe 5-7 minutes long.

I’m not a lawyer, so this is not legal advice, but… reviews seem to qualify as ‘fair use,’ so you should be just fine as long as you’re not going overboard with minute long clips and stuff. Hopefully an actual lawyer will come along and let us know for sure.

man this is old. im actually embarrassed by the poor quality of my first video.

ive gotten a little better at eiting and writing since then. for an example of my more recent work go to part 1 and part 2

you did notice that the video required heavy editing in the first place, right. besides, im drawing inspiration from people whom have videos with a lot of detail ranging around 20 min

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.