Views of Hell

I am just curious what your views of hell are. Do you feel like it is a PHYSICAL place, or do you think of it as merely EMOTIONAL/SPIRITUAL torment or as a combination of the above?

I do feel like hell is a physical place but I believe souls are also in horrible spiritual torment.

Karen

[quote=SWTHRT]I am just curious what your views of hell are. Do you feel like it is a PHYSICAL place, or do you think of it as merely EMOTIONAL/SPIRITUAL torment or as a combination of the above?

I do feel like hell is a physical place but I believe souls are also in horrible spiritual torment.

Karen
[/quote]

I say both. Being totally and eternally separated from all good and all love would be horrible in every way imagineable.

Sister Faustina’s Vision of Hell

“I, Sister Faustina Kowalska, by the order of God, have visited the Abysses of Hell so that I might tell souls about it and testify to its existence…the devils were full of hatred for me, but they had to obey me at the command of God, What I have written is but a pale shadow of the things I saw. But I noticed one thing: That most of the souls there are those who disbelieved that there is a hell.” (Diary 741)

"Today, I was led by an angel to the Chasms of Hell. It is a place of            great torture; how awesomely large and extensive it is! The kinds of            tortures I saw:
      **The First Torture that constitutes hell is**:
 The loss of God.
      **The Second is:**
 Perpetual remorse of conscience.
      **The Third is**
 That one's condition will never change.
      T**he Fourth is:**
 The fire that will penetrate the soul without            destroying it. A terrible suffering since it is a purely spiritual            fire, lit by God's anger.
      **The Fifth Torture is:**
 Continual darkness and a terrible suffocating smell,            and despite the darkness, the devils and the souls of the damned see            each other and all the evil, both of others and their own.
      **The Sixth Torture is:**
      The constant company of Satan.
      **The Seventh Torture is:**
      Horrible despair, hatred of God, vile words, curses and blasphemies.                                        [left]           These are the Tortures suffered by all the damned together, but that            is not the end of the sufferings.

** Indescribable Sufferings
       **There are special Tortures            destined for particular souls. These are the torments of the senses.            Each soul undergoes terrible and indescribable sufferings related to            the manner in which it has sinned.

**I would have died
      **There are caverns and pits            of torture where one form of agony differs from another. I would have            died at the very sight of these tortures if the omnipotence            of God had not supported me.
      No One Can Say There is No Hell
      **Let the sinner know that he will be tortured            throughout all eternity, in those senses which he made use of to sin.           **I am writing this at the command of God, so that no soul may find            an excuse by saying there is no hell, or that nobody has ever been            there, and so no one can say what it is like**...how terribly souls            suffer there! Consequently, I pray even more fervently for the            conversion of sinners. I incessantly plead God's mercy upon them. O My            Jesus, I would rather be in agony until the end of the world, amidst            the greatest sufferings, than offend you by the least sin." (Diary            741)

[/left]

more…

I don’t know about the physical surroundings or the torment lost souls will encounter in heaven…but one thing I know for sure…and this is the worst punishment of all, is that souls in hell will be completely, 100% cut off from the Love and Grace of God…and that is the worst punishment of all…not the fire and brimstone, etc…it is the complete absence of God that is the most horrendous punishment.

[quote=buffalo]Sister Faustina’s Vision of Hell

“I, Sister Faustina Kowalska, by the order of God, have visited the Abysses of Hell so that I might tell souls about it and testify to its existence…the devils were full of hatred for me, but they had to obey me at the command of God, What I have written is but a pale shadow of the things I saw. But I noticed one thing: That most of the souls there are those who disbelieved that there is a hell.” (Diary 741)

"Today, I was led by an angel to the Chasms of Hell. It is a place of great torture; how awesomely large and extensive it is! The kinds of tortures I saw:
The First Torture that constitutes hell is:
The loss of God.
The Second is:
Perpetual remorse of conscience.
The Third is
That one’s condition will never change.
The Fourth is:
The fire that will penetrate the soul without destroying it. A terrible suffering since it is a purely spiritual fire, lit by God’s anger.
The Fifth Torture is:
Continual darkness and a terrible suffocating smell, and despite the darkness, the devils and the souls of the damned see each other and all the evil, both of others and their own.
The Sixth Torture is:
The constant company of Satan.
The Seventh Torture is:

Horrible despair, hatred of God, vile words, curses and blasphemies. [left]These are the Tortures suffered by all the damned together, but that is not the end of the sufferings.

Indescribable Sufferings
There are special Tortures destined for particular souls. These are the torments of the senses. Each soul undergoes terrible and indescribable sufferings related to the manner in which it has sinned.

I would have died
There are caverns and pits of torture where one form of agony differs from another. I would have died at the very sight of these tortures if the omnipotence of God had not supported me.

No One Can Say There is No Hell
Let the sinner know that he will be tortured throughout all eternity, in those senses which he made use of to sin. I am writing this at the command of God, so that no soul may find an excuse by saying there is no hell, or that nobody has ever been there, and so no one can say what it is like…how terribly souls suffer there! Consequently, I pray even more fervently for the conversion of sinners. I incessantly plead God’s mercy upon them. O My Jesus, I would rather be in agony until the end of the world, amidst the greatest sufferings, than offend you by the least sin." (Diary 741)

[/left]

more…
[/quote]

Oh for goodness sake,when are Catholics going to stop that fire and brimstone nonsense.The simple presence of a Catholic community and the great Spiritual balances they maintain are unfit for consumption unless you want to make a movie or a cartoon.

What did the late Pope do to deserve this trash coming from a Catholic, perhaps you looked at too many movies but Catholic you ain’t.

There are good Catholics here and even by virtue that I am not gentle or good at expression I admire their posts when I see them.They are my heroes,you are not.

[quote=oriel36]Oh for goodness sake,when are Catholics going to stop that fire and brimstone nonsense.The simple presence of a Catholic community and the great Spiritual balances they maintain are unfit for consumption unless you want to make a movie or a cartoon.

What did the late Pope do to deserve this trash coming from a Catholic, perhaps you looked at too many movies but Catholic you ain’t.

There are good Catholics here and even by virtue that I am not gentle or good at expression I admire their posts when I see them.They are my heroes,you are not.
[/quote]

Excuse me, these are the writings of a Saint. :banghead:

the holocaust never happened

loltheinternet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2831

[quote=oriel36]Oh for goodness sake,when are Catholics going to stop that fire and brimstone nonsense.The simple presence of a Catholic community and the great Spiritual balances they maintain are unfit for consumption unless you want to make a movie or a cartoon.

[/quote]

Christ Himself preached “that ffire and brimstone nonsense”. Most of what we find in the New Testament about Hell, is in the words of Christ in the Gospels.
Do you think John Paul II didn’t believe in Hell?
And, as buffalo pointed out, Faustina is a saint --spcifically, she’s the one who wrote so much of the Divine Mercy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.