Views on the Ordinariate

Hello,

New on the forums (although I have been following for sometime).

I was wondering about the views of other Catholics on the Ordinariate and the Ordinariate Use. From personal experience I’ve found that a lot of Catholics don’t quite understand the Ordinariate or, worse still, view us an exclusive sect within the Catholic Church.

I’d really love to bring about more understanding of the Ordinariate to others and to show how our liturgical rites can bring something to the Catholic Church.

So, what are your views? Good or Bad I’d like to hear them or questions you may have. Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere in detail, however, a search on the Ordinariate does not show much which is recent which is specific to the Ordinariate.

Hello,

New on the forums (although I have been following for sometime).

I was wondering about the views of other Catholics on the Ordinariate and the Ordinariate Use. From personal experience I’ve found that a lot of Catholics don’t quite understand the Ordinariate or, worse still, view us an exclusive sect within the Catholic Church.

I’d really love to bring about more understanding of the Ordinariate to others and to show how our liturgical rites can bring something to the Catholic Church.

So, what are your views? Good or Bad I’d like to hear them or questions you may have. Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere in detail, however, a search on the Ordinariate does not show much which is recent which is specific to the Ordinariate.

PS - I had posted this on Traditional Catholicism before realising IT would be more suitable here but could not delete the post so apologies if seeing this twice.

Hi,
I have been keeping a keen eye on this. I am very pleased that Pope Benedict gave his blessing and gave people in the Anglican communion the opportunity to come back home to the Catholic Church. Although the Ordinariate is within the Latin Rite, I would have no problem with the Ordinariate being classed as its own rite within the Catholic Church (if this is what the parishioners wanted). My local parish has a large Syro Malabar community and I have been to the Syro Malabar mass a couple of times and it is very beautiful. I believe the different rites and the Ordinariate enrich the Catholic Church , what a boring world this would be if we were all the same. If an opportunity came a long I would love to go to an Ordinariate mass.

My question to you would be what do you feel the future holds for the Ordinariate and do you feel positive for the future.

God Bless.

It is unclear what you mean by “Rite”. The Ordinariates are part of the structure of the Latin Church, rather than a sui iuris Church unto themselves. That is one aspect setting them apart from Eastern Catholicism. Also, the Anglican Use liturgy is so related to the Roman Rite that it is not considered a separate liturgical rite. It is hard to see how this would change in the near future. Organic changes happen slowly. It seems to me that Anglican Use will remain in its relationship to the Roman Rite for hundreds of years to come, that is, if it survives on its own that long.

Any group that promotes reverent, beautiful liturgy is in my good book :). I will be in Calgary on business soon and understand that there is an excellent Anglican Ordinariate parish there…I would love to take in one of the Sunday sung masses.

Hi, Angel of the Lord. :smiley: Nice to see another Anglican Use Catholic here!

I say another because my de facto home parish is an Anglican Use parish in my hometown. I’ve gotten to become good friends with the local AUCs there, and St. Barnabas has become likes a second home to me. Not only do I love the worship there - heck, I even serve and ring the bells! - but the community there is tight-knit and very strong and dedicated to caring for each other. We have tea after Mass, and often have meetings and social events outside of Mass. It’s a great parish.

As for the Ordinariate itself, its form of liturgy etc, I think it has a lot to share with the larger Catholic Church. I think the Ordinary Form would benefit greatly from incorporating some of the dress code, the smells and bells, and the prayers the Anglican Use has brought in. I think ordinary Catholic could learn sociability and a sense of community, too. Father also works to help those who ask and who need it; they do help homeless people.

In short, I love to vibrancy of the Anglican Use parish, and I want to soak up as much of that as I can!

Although, I have a few minor concerns. Mainly in that Father Rob seems rather lenient about letting Anglicans or Episcopalians also have communion, and he considers Anglican priests’ orders to be valid. I realise the latter is rather complicated matter. But it nevertheless bothers me that he sometimes leans on the walls of doctrine rather than supporting them. Aside from that, I think he is a very good, charitable, respectful priest, who really believes in his work and loves Our Lord.

Thanks, Sui iuris - church unto themselves was what I was trying to get at but still in communion with the Catholic Church, please forgive my ignorance. I am just grateful the door is open to Anglicans to join the Catholic Church in this way.

Thank you for your replies. I am very hopeful for the what the Ordinariate may bring over time. Though the Ordinariate is part of the Latin Rite Church it is still very distinct. The language used, while vernacular, is ‘poetry’, as for how it may change, I hope it doesn’t. Some ‘regular’ Catholic friends of mine came to an Ordinariate Use mass and were very taken with how dignified the language was compared to the N.O.

However, that aside I would love to see more of the musical tradition being adopted, along with the traditional liturgy. Who knows what the future holds? I am so pleased though that there is such a provision which has been granted. With the first ‘woman bishop’ to be ‘consecrated’ in England soon I have a feeling that more will be taking up the offer of the Ordinariate and would ask for your prayers for its work in bringing many more into one fold under one shepherd.

I think that perhaps the Ordinariate will save many souls and it’s influence will be undoubtedly wonderful on the life of the Church. The Ordinariate Use and its Customary should just replace the Vernacular as it is, God knows it’s the most beautiful thing I’ve ever witnessed besides the Latin Mass.

I have heard that the Anglican Ordinariate Mass is very beautiful, and if there were one anywhere near me, I would go to it. I am guessing it is not very common in the US yet? (Or perhaps anywhere?) Is there any kind of a website that shows where Anglican Ordinariate Masses are offered?

The Ordinariates in the UK, US and Australia all have websites which should advertise Ordinariate Use services (I use services as sometimes you’ll get Evensong and Benediction as well).

usordinariate.org Should give details.

:thumbsup:

My parish hosts an Ordinariate community. I think it’s just fine.

Hello to you too! :slight_smile:

Good to see someone else with the same experience.

Your priest sounds a good man even if a little unorthodox in some matters (although I wonder if that may have come from well-meaning but misguided clergy around him, as I haven’t come across that in the UK).

I think the Ordinariate is a great thing and it’s been pretty well received here in Philadelphia. A second group is now up and running and working on becoming an official Parish.

The two groups share the same priest. Today, I actually read an articles from the priest talking about how warm the Roman Catholic Parish was to welcoming the new Anglican Use group.

Read it here: ordinariatephiladelphia.org/newsletters/1114.pdf

Personally, I think the only downside to the Ordinariate is that the local Bishop might not be paying much attention to them, because if he did, he might has some of his priests or deacons to spend time there to “teach an old dog new tricks.” :smiley:

Neat article. I hope they are successful. I think one of the hurdles Ordinariate Parishes face is their small size starting out. Combine that with the rule that Roman Catholics cannot join an Ordinariate Parish but Anglicans may join a Roman Parish and you have an uphill struggle. Traditional Anglican Parishes are generally pretty small and not so driven on evangelism to begin with. When you create a situation where only their former Anglicans will realistically be able to join, I just don’t see it as a model to grow.

That said I could be completely mistaken!

Pope Francis actually expanded the membership criteria. Now, cradle Catholics who have been baptized only, but haven’t been confirmed and haven’t received their first Communion are eligible for Ordinariate membership, even though they were not former Anglicans.

The music’s one of my favourite parts. The 1940 Hymnal is full of very good hymns. It strikes me as odd that C.S. Lewis would have called them “fifth rate lyrics to sixth rate tunes”; they seem to fit a church very well. No discredit to modern hymns, as I like them, too. But I like them, too. And I like that the Anglicans can sing!! :smiley:

Oh, and I’ve learned to love Merbecke’s Mass - as well as the numerous other ones we’ve used.

:shrug: I can’t speak to his past. Except that they’ve been a rather annoying parish to the local Episcopal hierarchy. :smiley: From what they’ve told me, they’ve made a point of being more liturgically Catholic than most Episcopalians in the area. Not without some scary moments, especially when they were coming over to Rome. Thankfully, they’ve got some strong men in there. And the Archbishop was more than happy to support them. :smiley:

And despite a handful of reservations, including the ones I’ve previously mentioned, overall they seem to really be orthodox and willing to be so. They’re Catholics, and know what that means and is supposed to look like, and wouldn’t have it any other way.

And they’ve attracted the attention of a number of ordinary Catholics. I think there are at least four regular congregants who are ordinary Catholics. (Considering there may be about 30 people in church every Sunday…) Two (me and one other) are altar servers. And Catholics who are just looking come by often.

As mentioned above, cradle Catholics may be confirmed within the Ordinariate.

Any Catholic may join an Ordinariate parish as we are all in full communion, in just the same way members of the Ordinariate may join a Diocesan parish. Catholics who have been baptised and confirmed may not be admitted as members of the Ordianriate that is all (as oversight principally comes from our ordinaries). To use another example, you don’t have to be in the military to attend mass which is held by a military Ordinariate.

:slight_smile:

While a cradle Catholic can join the Ordinariate parish in the sense that he can register (where it is the practice) serve there and participate in that parish’s life, he likely cannot join in the formal sense of the law, meaning, the Ordinariate pastor (or his Ordinary) won’t have jurisdiction over him (for such purposes as dispensations, marriages and other matters reserved to the parish priest).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.