Vigil Mass Fullfill Immaculate Conception Obligation?

We attended a vigil mass last evening. Are we obligated to attend mass again this evening in honor of the Immaculate Conception?

No.

The Code of Canon Law says:

Canon 1248
1. The precept of participating in the Mass is satisfied by assistance at a Mass which is celebrated anywhere in a Catholic rite either on the holy day or on the evening of the preceding day.

Thank you for the quote, however I beg your patience. I don’t understand it. Would you please spell it out for me in plain, simple English? Thank you.

It basically says that you can fulfill your obligation to go to Mass for a Sunday or Holy Day of Obligation either on the day itself or on the previous evening.

For example, I don’t have to go to Mass on Christmas to fulfill my obligation. Rather, I can go to Mass on the evening/night of December 24 if I want too.

Any Mass on the evening before a Holy Day of Obligation fulfills the obligation.

Thank you. This is a clear, “black and white” response.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.