Villains need love too!

Who says only villains should have fans? They need love too. So, let's hear it for the villains! If it weren't for them, fiction would be boring.
So who are your favorite villains?
I'll start with my first love: Disney. You know, for such a sweet, beautiful body of work, Disney created some of the most frightening villains ever.
1. Scar (Lion King)--this guy is so ruthless. And I love his villain song!
2. Xanatos (Gargoyles)--that cunning smirk. And Jonathan Frakes is his voice actor. It's a perfect match.
3. Cruella De Ville (101 Dalmatians)--Sing it with me: If she doesn't scare you, no evil thing will.
4. The Coachman (Pinocchio)--Every time I hear that line "They never come back--as boys!", I get chills.
5. Jafar (Aladdin)--his voice is so bone-chilling.
6. Shere Khan (The Jungle Book)--he's Scar, but worse.
7. Hades (Hercules)--So what if he's not accurate. He's great!
8. Demona (Gargoyles)--the sad part is that she can be sympathized with. You almost feel like if you were her, you might've chosen the same path.
9. Magica Da Spell (Uncle Scrooge comics, Duck Tales)--June Foray was perfect as this villain.
10. Mirage (Aladdin: the series)--Because she's just in it for the fun of tormenting others. And I love that scene where she turns Jasmine into a poisonous monster and Aladdin volunteers to be turned into a male version just so they can still be together.
In my next post, I'll add my favorite literary villains.

I have to say the troublesome duo of Siamese Cats in the Lady and the Tramp were a favorite of mine.

Interesting thread, it will be interesting to see what peeps post.

I leave you with a song that's in my head now due to thinking of them kitties. Man it will take days to get it out of my head.

The Siamese Cat Song

We are Siamese if you please
We are Siamese if you don't please
We are former residents of Siam
There is no finer cat than I am

Do you see that thing swimming round and round
Maybe we can reaching in and make it drown
If we sneaking up upon it carefully
There will be head for you a tail for me

Now we're looking over our new domicile
If we like we stay for maybe quite a while

Meow... here kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty

Do you hear what I hear a baby cry
Where we finding baby there's milk near by
And if we look in baby buggy there could be
Plenty of milk for you and also some for me

Now we're looking over our new domicile
If we like we stay for maybe quite a while

We are former residents of Siam

There are no finer cats than we am

God Bless.

I wuz CDV in 101 dal. AND I wuz born 3:16 19--:D
coincide!:D

If we're talking Disney, then hands down it's Maleficent from "Sleeping Beauty". Why? Because as far as I know she was the first and only villain to drop the "H" bomb in a Disney movie--LONG before it was anywhere close to being acceptable--and get away with it!

"And now you shall deal with ME, O Prince, and all the powers of HELL!"

BOOM! Flames shoot to the sky and ginormous fire-breathing dragon appears!

Not Disney, but how about these

The original movie Hannibal Lector from Michael Mann's Manhunter played by Brian Cox--Anthony Hopkins in contrast is cartoonish.

The Kurgan from the original Highlander. The 3500-year old Immortal played over the top by Clancy Brown.

I forget the character's name, but the NYC Polic Chief played by James Cagney in Ragtime. His last line underscores his utter, ruthless amorality.

Best villain ever is Goldfinger, from the James Bond novel and movie of the same name!

Azula From Avatar: The Last Air Bender.

Gollum from the LOTR series.

Yeah, Maleficent came to me last night and threatened to turn me into a frog for forgetting her name. I need a shrink.
Oh, and I think of Gollum as more of an anti-villain. He can actually be pitied for his greed and self-destruction.
OK, now on to literary villains:
Voldemort (Harry Potter series): As I've said, he's the closest thing the series has to Satan.
Delores Umbridge (also Harry Potter): No, she's not a well-intentioned extremist. She is evil. You can't call anything she did justified.
Sauron (LOTR): Fear the giant evil eye!
Queen Cersei (Song of Ice and Fire): She makes my skin crawl.
Saint Dane (Pendragon Adventure): Don't let the name fool you. This guy is no saint.
Tigerstar (Warriors/ Warrior Cats, whichever you want to call it): Take Scar from the Lion King, make him an utterly cute kitty, and you have Tigerstar.
Frollo (Hunchback to Notre Dame): The book version's the one Disney didn't want to know about. Hey Disney, explain to me again why you honestly thought this story was a good kid's movie plot? Yes, because all kids need to see a gypsy girl get killed by a priest who wanted to molest her.:dts:
Jadis: (Narnia) A great Lilith analog. Now that I've reread Narnia, I don't think she's as stereotypical as I first thought.
The Snow Queen (The Snow Queen, of course): A great, heartless sorceress.
It (Wrinkle in Time): Like evil itself, it cannot withstand love.
Luke (Percy Jackson series): He may be an anti-villain to some, but I don't think his actions were that justified.
In my next post, I'll add anime villains.

I must raise one objection about Sauron before I present some of my own favourite villains. This whole thing of him as a giant evil eye seems to have leaked everywhere from the Peter Jackson adaptions. Although the eye is plainly his badge and a symbol for him in the books he also is shown indirectly to have a man like (but monstrous) form. The problem for Jackson is since Sauron never appears on-stage as it were in the books at all he had to find some way of dealing with that. I think the giant eye on the tower is actually one of the weakest aspects of his movie adaptions. Although I admit to not been as big a fan of them as many and would probably rate them about 6/10 if asked to sum up my feelings on them.

As to Disney and their continuing 'adaptions' well........

Now for my villains.

Sauron's master Morgoth, the first Dark Lord. Whereas Sauron personifies a kind of bureacrat's approach to evil where he wants to rule and organise Morgoth ultimately simply wants to break down all things and is more a primal force of chaos. He starts out far more powerful than every other being (except Eru who is equivalent to God) but wastes his power in spite and meaness slowly.

The Master from Doctor Who. The Doctors reflection in a 'glass darkly'. Also both are worryingly close at times in personality and he serves to highlight the darkness in the hero at points. Also not entirely a villain on all occassions and has an odd love/hate relationship with his nemesis who in his last appearance he died to save.

Magneto. The comic book version, not the movie one. Has flip-flopped from been a villian to hero to anti-hero numerous times. Hard not to sympathise at points with a man who grew up in Auschwitz and saw his family machine-gunned in front of him and later lost his wife and children due to bigotry. At points one could amost agree that if he toned down his approach a deal it would have some merit.

Javert. The police inspector from Les Miserables. Whether Javert is truly a villain or not is hard to say. Certainly his draconian approach to law enforcement is not commendable but he believes he is right. But then most villains do.

Ras Al Ghul. Again the comic version and not the move interpretation seen in 'Batman Begins.' A villain with a sense of honour and whose goal of protecting the Earth is only rendered evil because he forgets ends do not justify means. Also noteable for his continual attempts to get Batman to marry his daughter and inherit his role.

[quote="rocklobster, post:9, topic:243744"]

It (Wrinkle in Time): Like evil itself, it cannot withstand love.

[/quote]

Ahh yes IT. The large disgusting pulsating brain that tried to force you to think in rhythms and to conform to it. I remember reading it as a kid and not being able to get the multipication tables out of my head.

Was there ever sequels written to this book?

God bless.

Not in any specific order

1. Bester (Psi Copm from Babylon 5)
  2. Smoking Man (X-Files)
  3. Adam Newman (The Young and the Restless)
  4. Bill Cutting (Gangs of Newe York--a mesmerizing perfornace by Daniel Day Lewis!) 5 Vito Corleone (The Godfather)
  5. Jane Hudson (Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?) 7.

[quote="Little_One0307, post:11, topic:243744"]
Ahh yes IT. The large disgusting pulsating brain that tried to force you to think in rhythms and to conform to it. I remember reading it as a kid and not being able to get the multipication tables out of my head.

Was there ever sequels written to this book?

God bless.

[/quote]

Yep. a whole bunch. They do not all have IT in them, but they're certainly worth a look. Madeliene L' Engle is a great Christian fantasy writer. They are as follows:
A Wind in the Door
A Swiftly Tilting Planet
Many Waters
The Arm of the Starfish
Dragons in the Waters
A House Like a Lotus
An Acceptable Time

On the topic of Villains, I suggest to go out and Google 'The Overlord List.' It's hilarious. Made me crack up. :D

[quote="JharekCarnelian, post:10, topic:243744"]

Javert. The police inspector from Les Miserables. Whether Javert is truly a villain or not is hard to say. Certainly his draconian approach to law enforcement is not commendable but he believes he is right. But then most villains do.

[/quote]

(Bolding is mine)

I think an important aspect of a believable villain, or at least one which resonates within our own lives, is for the villain to be convinced that he or she is doing good, rather than doing evil. It adds a dimension of tragedy, but there are also countless examples from history. In real life, few villains believe they are evil or doing evil, even if that is the outcome. Often the harm they cause is self-justified as serving a greater good.

[quote="rocklobster, post:13, topic:243744"]
Yep. a whole bunch. They do not all have IT in them, but they're certainly worth a look. Madeliene L' Engle is a great Christian fantasy writer. They are as follows:
A Wind in the Door
A Swiftly Tilting Planet
Many Waters
The Arm of the Starfish
Dragons in the Waters
A House Like a Lotus
An Acceptable Time

[/quote]

Ahhh very nice. I think I got some reading to do finally. Thanks for posting them.

God bless.

[quote="rocklobster, post:1, topic:243744"]
Who says only villains should have fans? They need love too. So, let's hear it for the villains! If it weren't for them, fiction would be boring.
So who are your favorite villains?

[/quote]

You forgot Judge Claude Frollo, possibly the most hardcore villain that Disney has ever made! But the original, more tragic Archdeacon Frollo ranks higher than that, methinks. :D

Slightly more obscure choices for me:

1.) Ravana from Ramayana: Yeah, I know, he abducted Rama's wife Sita and all that, and he's the main villain of the story. But you gotta admit, a ten-headed, multi-armed demon king is pretty awesome. :p
2.) Hiranyakashipu: Brahma's boon made him nigh invincible (it's a common pattern in many Hindu myths for villains to receive boons from the gods after a period of arduous meditation and penance, which they would then abuse for their own gain - Ravana is also one such baddie), that is until Vishnu appeared as the man-lion Narasimha and killed him in a rather gory fashion. :eek:
3.) The Six-eared Macaque from Journey to the West: He's one of the more tougher villains in the story really; he disguised as the Monkey King Sun Wukong and virtually no one could figure the two out except for the Buddha.
4.) Grendel from Beowulf
5.) Frieza from Dragonball: Again, transforming villains FTW.
6.) SEELE from Neon Genesis Evangelion: Not exactly the bad guys, but any Illuminati-like organization that controls the United Nations and plans the merging of all humans in the world is very dodgy, at best.
7.) Friend (Tomodachi) from 20th Century Boys: Really amazing how childhood grudges could to lead making oneself a 'god' and the president of the world, causing the deaths of millions of people (Antichrist-esque shades here...) :shrug:
8.) Marik Ishtar from Yu-Gi-Oh! Strangely enough, he is one of the most terrifying villains in my book.
9.) Morgoth Bauglir (aka Melkor) from J.R.R. Tolkien's legendarium. I share JharekCarnelian's sentiments on this one.

Now...anybody rooting for Judas or Caiaphas or Pilate yet? Nah, just joking. ;) :rolleyes:

Pilate is actually a saint in some Christian traditions.

[quote="JharekCarnelian, post:18, topic:243744"]
Pilate is actually a saint in some Christian traditions.

[/quote]

Yeah, but he's also the guy who didn't flinch from using force against a crowd of Jewish protesters and the followers of an unknown Samaritan prophet (which actually got him kicked out of his position). Guess he's more of an antihero then?

He's revered as a Saint in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church due to his acts in the Book of Pilate. He is considered within that Church to have converted to Christianity later in life.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.