Vinyl Collectors?

Just wanted to know if there are any vinyl record collectors on here. I just got into vinyl records a year ago when I was 18. Unfortunately, moving away to college has hindered the time I spend collecting/listening to records. As a result, my collection is fairly small.

So I was wondering if there was anyone here who collects vinyls or currently listens to them. Want to share any thoughts or share some titles from your collections?

My current personal favorites are:
Who’s Next by The Who- bought it factory sealed, still haven’t played it
Bob Dylan at Budokan by Bob Dylan - my favorite live album, mostly altered versions of his greatest hits
Highway 80 Revisited by Bob Dylan - a bootlegged Dylan album from 1985. The guy at the record store said it is extremely rare. The audio isn’t the best, but it’s rare Dylan.

Ah, vinyl… The first vinyl I ever bought with my own money was the Broadway cast recording of the musical “Annie.” I was eleven :smiley: I remember listening to the Carpenters “Top of the World” and the Captain and Tenielle’s “Muskrat Love” over and over and over again. I was just a kid then :blush:

I had quite a lovely collection many years ago, but lost a large chunk of it in a series of moves.

All I have left is at my mom’s house, and it’s actually what’s left of my dad’s collection. It is waaaay older than what you’re talking about. My dad’s albums were an eclectic collection of organ music (perfect for teens at the roller rink), opera and classical music (perfect for unwinding after a day at the office), sound effects (no idea why he wanted train and thunderstorm sounds), and singers I have never heard of.

Wish I could give you more info but they’re all at my mom’s house. The vinyl I lost was a collection of 1950’s and 1960’s Christmas music. Goodness, I loved those albums – Ray Charles Singers, Perry Como, some orchestra whose name I’ve forgotten…

I briefly dated a man in college who had the most amazing collection of 45’s I have ever seen – hundreds and hundreds of them, all catalogued and arranged for easy access. And he had a voice that was a cross between Perry Como and Bing Crosby!

Anyway, thanks for the chance to walk aimlessly down memory lane.

Gertie

We have lots of vinyl - mostly starting with LPs I bought in the 70s but nothing very rare. My kids have found LPs of thier favorite classic rock artists to add to the collection and some of my relatives and friends have given us their collections since they no longer have the equipment to play them. We bought a turntable and speakers to start but my husband is building on to, eventually, have a “hi-fi” system better than any I ever owned.

Vinyl is (unless a particular recording isn’t available on vinyl) all I buy nowadays :slight_smile: The quality of digitalized music is totally unacceptable, plain and simple. I just buy LPs, 45s, etc. and upload them with my ION USB turntable (only about $99 if anybody decides to buy one). It’s great that vinyl, as a format, is rapidly re-gaining popularity. Heck, in time it just may overtake the CD for physical music sales. And yes, they require quite a bit of TLC, but the warm sound quality is well worth it in spades :slight_smile: I’m even considering bringing my record player with me to college :smiley:

Some of my records include:
The Arctic Monkeys- *Suck It And See *(their best album to date, IMO)
The Byrds- Mr. Tambourine Man
R.E.M.- Murmur
John Denver- Rocky Mountain High
Al Stewart- Love Chronicles
The Hollies- Evolution
Beady Eye- Different Gear, Still Speeding (Makes me feel like saying Noel was the overrated one in Oasis :p)
Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds- (Self Titled) (I must say QUITE an improvement over the last Oasis album)

I don’t know that I’d call myself a collector…

But I do still have most my LPs and 45s from the 1970s. We also have some Duke Ellington and other jazz records that belonged to my father-in-law. I think there are some others that belonged to my brother-in-law.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.